DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone disconnects and flyaway

Trust me, if I had known about it before I definitely would have. I didn’t know they would aslso do flyaways

Not only do they cover flyaways, water landings, and bird strikes, they would replace the drone even if it was 100% obviously my fault and I were being negligent. They even said as much. I saw no exclusions in my paperwork for coverage. Now this covers my equipment, its not a liability policy. In my case my homeowners insurance protects me - so long as I'm flying from my home / property.

Today I flew my drone on a fairly windy day. I am quite comfortable flying it so I was confident. About halfway through flight, I believe I hit something (most likely a bird) as my drone spun a bunch and did flips. When it recovered it was only letting me fly one way. I tried to land but as my drone had gotten to 20% and 19 satellites my drone just decided to disconnect. I looked where the last coordinates were with the find my drone but I couldn’t find anything. I believe that this wasn’t my fault and I’m not sure what to do. I spent a whole summer saving up for this to lose it. Maybe dji will be able to replace the drone because I don’t feel it was my problem. If anyone had any comments on this let me know, thanks!
Why do people fly over water without gettrback or without tracking like Marco Polo is beyond me?

Why do people fly over water without gettrback or without tracking like Marco Polo is beyond me?

If you crash in a lake, I doubt a GPS locator will help you locate it at that point. Plus your Mavic is toast no matter what. Woods I understand.

...if the water is less than a hundred feet deep and it is recovered within a day or two, there have been accounts on this forum of full recovery by rice drying for a week (find a picture of the inside of the mavic; the inside electronics are covered in waterproof gunk!) and the gettrback for fishing poles will give you a brightly colored floater to pull her up with up to a hundred feet of line - NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Reactions: jetyancey
...if the water is less than a hundred feet deep and it is recovered within a day or two, there have been accounts on this forum of full recovery by rice drying for a week (find a picture of the inside of the mavic; the inside electronics are covered in waterproof gunk!) and the gettrback for fishing poles will give you a brightly colored floater to pull her up with up to a hundred feet of line - NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Oh no doubt I've seen some stuff online people saving their bird from water, its awesome! Just thinking once it goes under water like a lake does that GPS tracker have any signal or is it even waterproof? Bad day for you no matter what. 100 foot under water recover is a lot easier said than done :(

It's a fairly standard mapping technique that is available in many mapping programs that support DEMs, and I use it primarily for mapping radio communication predictions during search and rescue operations to decide where to place relays or repeaters. But, it's actually a little-known standard functionality in Google Earth Pro; if you create a waypoint with an absolute or relative altitude then right-click on it and choose "Show Viewshed" then it will compute and display that view.

The viewshed option is pretty cool. Is there anyway to increase the radius of the viewshed beyond 5.4 miles?

Today I flew my drone on a fairly windy day. I am quite comfortable flying it so I was confident. About halfway through flight, I believe I hit something (most likely a bird) as my drone spun a bunch and did flips. When it recovered it was only letting me fly one way. I tried to land but as my drone had gotten to 20% and 19 satellites my drone just decided to disconnect. I looked where the last coordinates were with the find my drone but I couldn’t find anything. I believe that this wasn’t my fault and I’m not sure what to do. I spent a whole summer saving up for this to lose it. Maybe dji will be able to replace the drone because I don’t feel it was my problem. If anyone had any comments on this let me know, thanks!
I Have my Mavic Pro for about 6 month, nothing but troubles, I don' fly very often but when I do im always scare im going to loose it, I went through all details, up grades, change to a different ipads and mobiles phones and watching videos and the rest, always disconnected, i can not relay on this, saving money for too long , i think DJI should concentrate in a good reliable software and not on this piece of crap, as I do work for an International Company im already recommend via E-mail NOT to buy this product, can not be trusted. Forgot to mention, this is my 2nd Mavic Pro, the first one flew away on my first flight.

Last edited:
I Have my Mavic Pro for about 6 month, nothing but troubles, I don' fly very often but when I do im always scare im going to loose it, I went through all details, up grades, change to a different ipads and mobiles phones and watching videos and the rest, always disconnected, i can not relay on this, saving money for too long , i think DJI should concentrate in a good reliable software and not on this piece of crap, as I do work for an International Company im already recommend via E-mail NOT to buy this product, can not be trusted. Forgot to mention, this is my 2nd Mavic Pro, the first one flew away on my first flight.

Their software does seem to be their weak point. If you followed all the recommended things discussed throughout this forum, would seem odd to have 2 Mavics with problems. My big issue at first was running an Android phone. Fast brand new phone, constant app crashes. Switched to an ipad and never looked back. For some reason they can't get the Android version (on some devices) of their app to work as good as the IOS one. Their tech support needs an upgrade I will admit, not the best for me. You will get WAY better tech support here. Even if you have to deal with a few snarky comments, most here will lead you in the right direction.

Well why did the first fly away? It's pretty rare for a Mavic to just fly away like that. Considering it was a first flight, did you learn anything from it?

You can forget about DJI replacing your drone. If you bought the "DJI Care Refresh" you can forget about that too because they won't honor it. Same thing happened to me and I had the insurance. I flew the drone after I got it back from DJI to repair/replace faulty drone with disconnect issue (it was new) and it disconnected and I never saw it again. I got my money back from PayPal since that's how I paid for it. DJI basically told me to go **** myself. They said the sun was too bright (see image) and some other nonsense. These images were sent back to me from DJI with there refusal to honor the warrantee or the insurance I purchased

Attachments

• too bright.png
    too bright.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • t=12-25.jpg
    t=12-25.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: cderoche
Hi KGinCA, from that second image it looks like you had it flying for 12 minutes and had 13% battery left, while the drone was 1300 meters away? Does MP still track during a fly-away? It would have auto landed at that point, did you ever recover it?

Not sure what you mean by "MP". It went up with a full battery, started filming shortly after that. It just disconnected at only 1300 meters away and left me helpless until the battery went dead. No, I did not recover the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga