DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone DJ has new infor about GPS problem

GPS signals is not the subject for which I have expertise, but I wonder if there is a correlation between the "high latitude" observation and the longer wait time when staying on the ground.

I suspect that higher latitudes would mean that the position of the BeiDou satellites are closer to the horizon (from the perspective of the pilot). Many (including myself) have observed that waiting on the ground can take longer than elevating the drone up some minor distance while waiting for lock, particularly when there is ground clutter around the point of takeoff. I don't know how well GPS signals penetrate trees, homes, brick and mortar. But it seems that there may be similarities with high latitude obserations and take off from areas with some ground clutter.

I wonder if there is a correlation between the "high latitude" observation and the longer wait time when staying on the ground.
No there isn't.
DJI's suggestion of high latitude problems isn't to be taken seriously.
If it was a thing, the users of all DJI drones would also have the same problem at high latitudes (and they don't).
It's spin that ignores all the users having the GPS problem in non-high latitudes and is a weak attempt to placate the gullible.

I don't know how well GPS signals penetrate trees, homes, brick and mortar.
All of those block GPS signal.
The number of sats your drone can receive is approximately proportional to the amount of sky that it sees.
Block half the sky with signal-blocking obstacles, and you reduce satellites the drone can see by about half.
Climbing above obstacles is improving your satellite acquisition by giving your GPS antenna a clear, unobstructed view of more sky (and so, more satellites).

Many (including myself) have observed that waiting on the ground can take longer than elevating the drone up some minor distance while waiting for lock, particularly when there is ground clutter around the point of takeoff.
That's the best current workaround. Arm the motors and launch as high directly over the launch site as it will let you, and let it acquire the HP from there.

No there isn't.
If it was a thing, the users of all DJI drones would also have the same problem at high latitudes (and they don't).
It's spin that ignores all the users having the GPS problem in non-high latitudes and is a weak attempt to placate the gullible.

The number of sats your drone can receive is approximately proportional to the amount of sky that it sees.
Block half the sky with signal-blocking obstacles, and you reduce satellites the drone can see by about half.
Climbing above obstacles is improving your satellite acquisition by giving your GPS antenna a clear, unobstructed view of more sky (and so, more satellites).
No there isn't.

Hi Meta4, it's a pleasure to meet you. I have come here for elevated conversation, and I invite you to join me in a conversation that does not presume DJI's bad faith and does not criticize people who presume DJI's good faith. Will you join me?

Reactions: TonyPHX
GPS signals is not the subject for which I have expertise, but I wonder if there is a correlation between the "high latitude" observation and the longer wait time when staying on the ground.

I suspect that higher latitudes would mean that the position of the BeiDou satellites are closer to the horizon (from the perspective of the pilot). Many (including myself) have observed that waiting on the ground can take longer than elevating the drone up some minor distance while waiting for lock, particularly when there is ground clutter around the point of takeoff. I don't know how well GPS signals penetrate trees, homes, brick and mortar. But it seems that there may be similarities with high latitude obserations and take off from areas with some ground clutter.

High latitude has been debunked in several threads -- I just posted the most recent below.

Satellite acquisition time related to high-latitude areas? Answer from DJI.

But, yes, BeiDou may be a contributor to whatever is the root cause of the problem. See this thread, attached video & subsequent commentary.

Mad Tech's video

It’s not a presumption. It’s a reality.
Hi Starz. My response was not about whether or not DJI is acting in good faith. Reasonable people will have differing opinions. My response was about how people react to individuals who have differing opinions.

I'm hoping to find a forum home where differing opinions are treated with respect, and individuals or people are not criticized or called names for expressing opinions that differ from others.

Is Mavic Pilots that home?

Reactions: TonyPHX
There may be a multitude of threads that broach this topic, but this was the first thread I saw that spoke to the GPS issue, so I post here. I'm also going to endeavor to take out the "high latitude" aspect of my observations.

I've owned many DJI drones over the years, and I too experience the GPS issues others experience, but not to the same degree. Given that I own and have owned multiple DJI drones, I have the benefit of comparing performance across the drones (and many already have).

One of my observations based on how my home is laid out. I have a covered patio in my back yard, and the "roof" extends partially over the deck. There is an uncovered portion at the top of the stairs, which has been a great location for me to launch my drones when doing simple piloting experiments that do not require lots of space.

I have found that I have never noticed a difference in "lock" time when using the MA2 from this location or from a location where the space (and view of the horizon) is wide open. There was never one single moment where I thought to myself "this is taking a long time". If the MA2 has any sensitivity to ground clutter, it has never manifested in a notable way in my environment.

I have found that the M3 is the opposite. It always takes longer than the MA2 no matter the environment. But in an open space with no ground clutter, it locks pretty consistently between 90s and 120s. Where as from my home environment, it will ALWAYS take long. The delta between the MA2's "open field" launch vs "some clutter" is consistently low, and the delta between the M3's "open field" launch vs "some clutter" is consistently "high to oh my god I feel myself getting older as I wait".

Given what has been observed by Mads, and what other GPS experts have noted, I'm not understanding why my ground clutter has minimal impact on MA2 (and Mini) GPS but has dramatic impact on M3 GPS. M3 uses 3 constellations, has a shorter refresh cycle, I understand that. But the "signal disruption" I expect is identical from my launch location, and the M3 just chokes on any ground clutter, whereas the MA2 and Mini do not.

I stressed in other posts, GPS is not my subject matter expertise, thus I'm posing the question to more knowledgeable people who may have an explanation.

Given what has been observed by Mads, and what other GPS experts have noted, I'm not understanding why my ground clutter has minimal impact on MA2 (and Mini) GPS but has dramatic impact on M3 GPS. M3 uses 3 constellations, has a shorter refresh cycle, I understand that. But the "signal disruption" I expect is identical from my launch location, and the M3 just chokes on any ground clutter, whereas the MA2 and Mini do not.

None of us know the answer.

A hypothesis is that the issues that some see are because the M3 uses three GNSS constellations including BeiDou, unlike the MA2 & Mini.

A hypothesis is that the issues that some see are because the M3 uses three GNSS constellations including BeiDou, unlike the MA2 & Mini.

My main interest is mostly just curiosity. I do not find the GPS issue a show stopper, but I do not give DJI a pass. I think that they have handled the GPS issue poorly, and I have a variety of opinions on how they can do better (unrelated to a solution, mostly related to customer relations). I look at this to be a puzzle to be solved, though I understand that others feel greater impact and are justifiably angry.

Mads information has helped me feel most informed on the topic, and I appreciate his efforts.

Just did a maiden flight with a new in box, Mavic 3. DID NOT DO any updates. Acquired 16 satelites with NO delay.
What functionality will I be missing if I do not update until the current FW problem is resolved. Have to decide on any tradeoff of functions vs PIA.

Reactions: zinko
Hi Meta4, it's a pleasure to meet you. I have come here for elevated conversation, and I invite you to join me in a conversation that does not presume DJI's bad faith and does not criticize people who presume DJI's good faith. Will you join me?
DJI smiles and "bows"with great courtesy but often gives no solutions or help.

Presumptions (along with their coo-pilot, assumptions) frequently result in loss. Loss of many many kinds - friends, lovers, stocks, bitcoins and anything that flies of course, They also see to conversations being diminished (as in un-elevated).

Stay safe ....

Just did a maiden flight with a new in box, Mavic 3. DID NOT DO any updates. Acquired 16 satelites with NO delay.
What functionality will I be missing if I do not update until the current FW problem is resolved. Have to decide on any tradeoff of functions vs PIA.
Hi Res 360° Panos for one! Added in January. I'd happily wait 10 minutes before each first launch of the day to be able to keep that capability!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60