DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Satellite acquisition time related to high-latitude areas? Answer from DJI.

jjcombs13

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I created a support case and spent a great deal of time sending data to DJI regarding the slow satellite acquisition on cold boot. My experience with the RC Pro has been much better than the stock controller, but still about 2 minutes (compared to 5-6 minutes on stock). Here is the latest answer that I received from DJI, which hopefully means a solution is in the works for those still suffering:

With regards to this issue, we have received the answer from the engineer:

The latest firmware 0600 optimizes most satellite search and signal interference problems to improve your experience. However, we are aware of your concerns regarding DJI Mavic 3’s slow satellite search upon powering on and have already located the problem.
We have noticed that it takes additional time for some users’ Mavic 3 to connect to satellites in some high-latitude areas. We have located the cause of this issue and will address it directly in a firmware update within the next two months.
It is worth noting that satellite acquisition time, also known as time to first fix (TTFF) is also affected by internet connection. If the aircraft is not connected to the internet, a cold start of its GPS receiver will result in a TTFF of approximately one to two minutes under ideal satellite signal conditions. A cold start can be avoided if the previous flight was within 40 minutes. In general, TTFF is significantly reduced when the aircraft is connected to the internet.

Your satisfaction is always at the heart of our work. We will continue to improve your experience.

Last edited:
It is worth noting that satellite acquisition time, also known as time to first fix (TTFF) is also affected by internet connection. If the aircraft is not connected to the internet, a cold start of its GPS receiver will result in a TTFF of approximately one to two minutes under ideal satellite signal conditions.

Excuse me, an internet connection in the field? They've GOT to be effin' kidding.

If you care to mention to them in your next communication, this is a solid deal breaker for me.

Chris

Excuse me, an internet connection in the field? They've GOT to be effin' kidding.

If you care to mention to them in your next communication, this is a solid deal breaker for me.

Chris
Hasn't it been that way for many years now - with an internet connection it can download almanac and ephemeris data?

Chris
Yeah, and I'm at 2 minutes WITH an internet connection on the RC Pro. 5-6 with an internet connection on the stock RC. Sounds to me that pilots without internet can expect 1-2 minutes under the best conditions... if they are not in "high latitude".

Hasn't it been that way for many years now - with an internet connection it can download almanac and ephemeris data?

Not for satellite acquisition, as far as I know. I don't mind flying without a detailed map data., but I've always been able to fire up the M2P in the middle of nowhere (no cell or wifi) and go with sats, compass, and basic telemetry info — up within 1 minute.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Chris

Edit: this is all aside "signing in" to DJI, which I've always had to do with an internet connection. But that's at home before going out into the field. Once I power up the AC / controller out there, I've never used an internet connection.

Not for satellite acquisition, as far as I know. I don't mind flying without a detailed map data., but I've always been able to fire up the M2P in the middle of nowhere (no cell or wifi) and go with sats, compass, and basic telemetry info — up within 1 minute.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Chris
On reflection I guess that has been my experience with the MP, M2P and M2EA too, even though it makes sense that an internet connection could be helpful with both GNSS orbital data and, potentially, A-GPS.

I don't think so. I have flown most of my previous drones in flight mode so no data connection to the phone and the drones have always locked sats very fast, M3 is a sour lemon when it comes to GPS and Airsense

I think they realized they messed up with hardware, and the GPS module can't download the data, so they added a feature into the firmware that if you have internet, it downloads it through the internet.

I think they realized they messed up with hardware, and the GPS module can't download the data, so they added a feature into the firmware that if you have internet, it downloads it through the internet.
Bu in reality it seems to only help those few with rc pro and not RC N1

Maybe only that one has a version of software that is able to do that?
This issue is so confusing!
You can say that again. I am getting so fed up with testing all these different things to get a 100% working drone for what I paid. I am just waiting for later in the year and oops, sorry Dji my drone broke to pieces against a wall if these issues and promised features are not done.

You can say that again. I am getting so fed up with testing all these different things to get a 100% working drone for what I paid. I am just waiting for later in the year and oops, sorry Dji my drone broke to pieces against a wall if these issues and promised features are not done.
It's obvious already, DJI doesn't care about their customers, at least most of the time.
This is the reason I'm going to move away from DJI soon and switch to Autel.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
It's obvious already, DJI doesn't care about their customers, at least most of the time.
This is the reason I'm going to move away from DJI soon and switch to Autel.
Autel is not any better, trust me. I just sent my Lite+ back, 3rd one now for issues. I told the dealer just keep my money in credit for when he gets an Evo 2 Pro V2 or when the Evo 3 comes. Autel can give Dji a hard time but their customer service is no good. But in saying that we need to keep to topic else we get in trouble here for talking Autel :) Sorry Admin

I live in North Pole AK and have no GPS satellite acquisition problems with my M3.

Are you still with the initial firmware? The problems only arose with subsequent firmware versions (December 10th update). If you have the first release with no updates, you will have what everyone had -- normal acquisition times.

Chris

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I created a support case and spent a great deal of time sending data to DJI regarding the slow satellite acquisition on cold boot. My experience with the RC Pro has been much better than the stock controller, but still about 2 minutes (compared to 5-6 minutes on stock). Here is the latest answer that I received from DJI, which hopefully means a solution is in the works for those still suffering:

With regards to this issue, we have received the answer from the engineer:

The latest firmware 0600 optimizes most satellite search and signal interference problems to improve your experience. However, we are aware of your concerns regarding DJI Mavic 3’s slow satellite search upon powering on and have already located the problem.
We have noticed that it takes additional time for some users’ Mavic 3 to connect to satellites in some high-latitude areas. We have located the cause of this issue and will address it directly in a firmware update within the next two months.
It is worth noting that satellite acquisition time, also known as time to first fix (TTFF) is also affected by internet connection. If the aircraft is not connected to the internet, a cold start of its GPS receiver will result in a TTFF of approximately one to two minutes under ideal satellite signal conditions. A cold start can be avoided if the previous flight was within 40 minutes. In general, TTFF is significantly reduced when the aircraft is connected to the internet.

Your satisfaction is always at the heart of our work. We will continue to improve your experience.
I had the GPS-acquisition problem - and solved it by applying what others have written before me. I launch, rise to 3.2 meters, descend and turn off the Remote Controller, leaving the M3 activated, on the ground. I then immediately turn on again the Remote Controller, and launch again. The higher I fly, the more sats I acquire immediately. So far at 19-20 meters height I have acquired in one case 26 sats, and a second time 20 sats. So the problem no longer exists for me. This week I have run this procedure 4 times - it works flawlessly.

I had the GPS-acquisition problem - and solved it by applying what others have written before me. I launch, rise to 3.2 meters, descend and turn off the Remote Controller, leaving the M3 activated, on the ground. I then immediately turn on again the Remote Controller, and launch again. The higher I fly, the more sats I acquire immediately. So far at 19-20 meters height I have acquired in one case 26 sats, and a second time 20 sats. So the problem no longer exists for me. This week I have run this procedure 4 times - it works flawlessly.

This is good to know. But technically, it's not a resolution. Nothing was actually solved as the aircraft still has issues with setting HP in a timely fashion before take off.

In other words, it does not operate as designed. You have to do something special to set HP. Or wait several minutes.

A more appropriate term is "work-around". Yes, it matters, especially when conversing with DJI on the matter. We don't want them believing that flying up in the air to acquire sufficient satellites is a final "resolution".

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121