DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone does not come home after return to home command issued.

a) will try airdata. the air felt totally calm at ground level so I let my guard slip.
b) i) i feel that this is starting to get into aircraft piloting domain- where/which resources would you recommend to be better informed about the weather at the flight location?
ii) can someone direct me to resources that give a better understanding regarding drone tolerances and behavior under wind loads? I don't want to get too specific. I would like a little more context so I can make informed decisions.

The only reliable way to know the winds aloft with sufficient accuracy (given the relatively low tolerance of small UAVs to wind) is either briefly to put the aircraft into ATTI mode at the altitude in question and observed its drift velocity direction and speed (not possible with the Mavic unless you have modified system parameters to allow that), or to fly it briefly in the direction of interest for the flight away from you, then reverse it and fly back, and observe the difference in speed achieved. Also don't ignore high-wind warnings such as the one that you were given at 166 seconds when you reached 1200 ft.

Also, in terms of general piloting and informed decisions, perhaps consider not flying around at over 1200 ft AGL after being notified that you are flying in Tofino surface - 3100 ft MSL Class E controlled airspace.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
1200 ft?!? In what part of the world is that not about 3 times higher than legal?

1200 ft?!? In what part of the world is that not about 3 times higher than legal?

Well, I'm fairly sure the OP didn't care about many things newbies (which I am) should such as maintaining line of sight and not going too far.

Just got my Mavic back from the repair shop. Don't ask. The repair shop updated the firmware. All is well accept that when I press the RTH. It rotates, faces home, proceeds to climb to the max altitude (400') and does nothing. My RTH is selected in the settings the RTH altitude is set @ 100'. I have recalibrated my compass and IMU. Is there something else I'm missing? It worked fine before the mishap.

Just got my Mavic back from the repair shop. Don't ask. The repair shop updated the firmware. All is well accept that when I press the RTH. It rotates, faces home, proceeds to climb to the max altitude (400') and does nothing. My RTH is selected in the settings the RTH altitude is set @ 100'. I have recalibrated my compass and IMU. Is there something else I'm missing? It worked fine before the mishap.

You could post the DAT log file from the mobile device - that will probably explain what is happening.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580