DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone down

Where do you read that he left after less than a minute and that it was still in the air? He said when the distance stopped ticking down he went out and looked for it - where the map indicated that it was.
He said he realized within a minute it was gone forever and got into his car. Maybe I interpreted it wrong.

Hi ya’ll.
Just thought I’d share:
I’ve been traveling in a road trip around the southern and western United States. Had a great flight with my Mavic pro in southern Utah.
The following day, I was in another area of southern Utah and pulled my car over for one last flight before leaving the state.
It was SUPER windy outside.
I started the drone up and toon it off the ground. It struggled with the wind gusts just a little but, generally stayed still, hovering above ground.

I took it up higher and started circling around, taking video of the awesome dessert area around me. Suddenly, I lost connection. Couldn’t see anything on my phone app.

So, I immediately pressed the left stick down, to ground it. But it didn’t respond. It started heading straight across the highway. I hit return to home. nothing happened. I pulled the sticks down to the low corners, nothing happened. Next thing I knew, the wind had taken it about a half mile away, through hilly dessert. I realized within a minute. That it was gone forever.

As I got back in my car, the low battery warning came on. My controller told me that it was now returning to home. Watching the controller, the distance was at 1800’ away, and began dropping rapidly. I jumped out of my car to watch for it as the distance fell to 1600’. Then 1500. The 1400. I was ecstatic!!

But suddenly the distance stopped dropping. 1400’ away from me, in a cold windy desert.

I looked at the drone on the map, and went wandering around looking for it. I got to the point where the map showed it was, putting myself directly on top of it. I looked all around, in bushes, under rocks, everywhere. The drone was not there and, I had 8 hours of driving ahead of me.

That’s it. No more drone. I guess I’ll never know what happened.

Kind of curious to buy another one but, ****. $1000 down the drain like that without explanation.

What would you guys have done in this situation?
Hey bud I live in Vegas and don’t plan on going to Utah for a month but if its close I will take some time and go look post your flight logs here and someone will tell exactly where it is. Sorry for your loss we all make mistakes so don’t let know one get you down.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I'm new to the sport, my MA is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm in western Colorado close to the Utah border. Where in Utah did you go down? If it's not too far, I'd be happy to go try to find it for you... Might give me a good excuse to go fly mine around the area once I get some practice in... Oh and if it's not windy there Seriously, I'd be happy to try, and if I can find it, I'll ship it for you. Can you post last known coordinates?

Reactions: WAXMAN
I would not fly when it is SUPER windy. Sounds like the wind took it away and when it tried to come home it could not make it. Post the logs and it will be clear. So after less than a minute, while it still was in the air, you gave up and got in your car to leave? That seems strange.
Ok it might have been more than just a minute.
It was very cold outside and the drone was moving away, quickly, over terrain that, had I decided to go in search of it, would have had me wandering aimlessly through desolate, hilly, bushy desert.
I don’t excuse myself. It was a sad loss and I do wish I went running in the direction that it landed. But it was moving 3 times as fast as I could run and, my sense was that there would have been no chances to catch up with it.
When I saw it seemingly located on the map, I did go out to look for it. It was absolutely not in the place it said it was.

No need to read my story with suspicion lol. Things happen.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. When I get home I’ll follow the treasure hunt idea and see if anyone has any luck.

Meanwhile, I’ll probably save up and wait for probably the 3rd version of Mavic. And i promise I’ll be more careful.

I’ve flown it in high winds numerous times with no issue. Perhaps this wind was too much.

Backstory: I did crash it once before. As it tumbled down a cliff side, the camera disatrached and went into a freezing cold river. The drone itself survived on a small bank. I literally stripped down, swam across the river and carried it back with one hand in above the water!!

I had the drone repaired but ever since, it began giving me disconnection issues. I replaced the cable from controller to phone and this seemed to fix the problem.

But then the issue happened again. I bought three new cables. The first didn’t work. The second did. Until it didn’t.

I think that the connection issue was the main culprit. Perhaps the cold added to my issue and then the wind took it away from there.

For ***** and giggles I’ll see if I can post more details when I get home.

Have fun, people. Stay safe!

Reactions: TR Ganey
Hey bud I live in Vegas and don’t plan on going to Utah for a month but if its close I will take some time and go look post your flight logs here and someone will tell exactly where it is. Sorry for your loss we all make mistakes so don’t let know one get you down.
Will do!!! Of course I don’t expect to get it back. Would be awesome if someone found it.
No one is getting me down lol. The internet is filled with sarcastic, superior a$$holes.

Peace!

Reactions: Pietros and WAXMAN
I did think that flight logs were only from the drone itself. Completely forgot that I can maybe handle this stuff from the records on the app?
Looking forward to getting some closure lol.

I did think that flight logs were only from the drone itself. Completely forgot that I can maybe handle this stuff from the records on the app?
Looking forward to getting some closure lol.
Yes, flight logs please.

Ok so, I’m looking at the flight record right now on my phone. Damned if it doesn’t seem like the drone is right on the side of the road.....
Trying to figure out how to export records and map so I can post here.
I exported as cvs file but can’t find where it was exported to.

Can someone be so kind to link me to directions on how to move the file from app to these forums?

Ok so, I’m looking at the flight record right now on my phone. Damned if it doesn’t seem like the drone is right on the side of the road.....
Trying to figure out how to export records and map so I can post here.
I exported as cvs file but can’t find where it was exported to.

Can someone be so kind to link me to directions on how to move the file from app to these forums?
Post #4

Ok so, I’m trying to use that link to figure this out but, don’t know where the cvs file was exported to.
I did find the “find my drone” option. If I had known about this, I’m 99% certain I could have found it!!!

Here are pictures from find my drone.
It’s near a turnout on highway 9 coming west from Zion national park.

Attachments

• F33D4933-1D1F-46FA-8291-F6B41C4145B0.png
    F33D4933-1D1F-46FA-8291-F6B41C4145B0.png
    598.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 186EFA9E-86F8-473C-B0E3-515A0BF075D5.png
    186EFA9E-86F8-473C-B0E3-515A0BF075D5.png
    419.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 80BA1E1D-6994-471D-9B04-6E1024A5F227.png
    80BA1E1D-6994-471D-9B04-6E1024A5F227.png
    322.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 1F0D9AA2-85F4-46BE-8B84-0D65DE8F7F18.png
    1F0D9AA2-85F4-46BE-8B84-0D65DE8F7F18.png
    437 KB · Views: 69
  • 6D72D442-762D-4678-8F2E-7DF5843E99D1.png
    6D72D442-762D-4678-8F2E-7DF5843E99D1.png
    395.6 KB · Views: 70
If anyone finds this and is so nice to ship it to me, let’s chat by email. I’d be happy to post a reward. Let’s talk!!

Ok so, I’m trying to use that link to figure this out but, don’t know where the cvs file was exported to.
Here are some instructions for the flight data:
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

If the drone was in flight when connection was lost, Find My Drone will only give you the last location before signal was lost.
It's not a magic drone locater

Reactions: TR Ganey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov