DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone down

maigesheng

Reactions
Hi ya’ll.
Just thought I’d share:
I’ve been traveling in a road trip around the southern and western United States. Had a great flight with my Mavic pro in southern Utah.
The following day, I was in another area of southern Utah and pulled my car over for one last flight before leaving the state.
It was SUPER windy outside.
I started the drone up and toon it off the ground. It struggled with the wind gusts just a little but, generally stayed still, hovering above ground.

I took it up higher and started circling around, taking video of the awesome dessert area around me. Suddenly, I lost connection. Couldn’t see anything on my phone app.

So, I immediately pressed the left stick down, to ground it. But it didn’t respond. It started heading straight across the highway. I hit return to home. nothing happened. I pulled the sticks down to the low corners, nothing happened. Next thing I knew, the wind had taken it about a half mile away, through hilly dessert. I realized within a minute. That it was gone forever.

As I got back in my car, the low battery warning came on. My controller told me that it was now returning to home. Watching the controller, the distance was at 1800’ away, and began dropping rapidly. I jumped out of my car to watch for it as the distance fell to 1600’. Then 1500. The 1400. I was ecstatic!!

But suddenly the distance stopped dropping. 1400’ away from me, in a cold windy desert.

I looked at the drone on the map, and went wandering around looking for it. I got to the point where the map showed it was, putting myself directly on top of it. I looked all around, in bushes, under rocks, everywhere. The drone was not there and, I had 8 hours of driving ahead of me.

That’s it. No more drone. I guess I’ll never know what happened.

Kind of curious to buy another one but, ****. $1000 down the drain like that without explanation.

What would you guys have done in this situation?

Reactions: Brett1968
Did you go into the app and use find my drone or just look at the map .

Reactions: WAXMAN
Sorry to hear about your bad day on vacation. Losing a wonderful drone makes for a really bad day. I guess I would say two things. First know the limitations of both yourself and your equipment. If the sustained or wind or wind gusts were too much for the Mavic to handle then just put it away and know that you can fly another day.

Second would be to invest and use a tracking device. Buy a Marco Polo and use it on every flight. In a case like this, it should have been able to direct you right back to exactly where the drone ended up.

Start a treasure hunt. Post up all the info and offer a reasonable reward. Maybe there are some droner's on the forum that live in the general area that can try to locate the wreckage just for fun. You could possibly get your drone back. What have you got to loose?

"It was SUPER windy outside"
What would you guys have done in this situation? "

Not flown...

"I guess I’ll never know what happened. "

I think we can figure it out...

Last edited:
Reactions: ScubaBob and Kilrah
I would not fly when it is SUPER windy. Sounds like the wind took it away and when it tried to come home it could not make it. Post the logs and it will be clear. So after less than a minute, while it still was in the air, you gave up and got in your car to leave? That seems strange.

I would not fly when it is SUPER windy. Sounds like the wind took it away and when it tried to come home it could not make it. Post the logs and it will be clear. So after less than a minute, while it still was in the air, you gave up and got in your car to leave? That seems strange.

Hey it was super windy out! :)

$1000 down the drain like that without explanation......Without explanation? Like you said it was Super windy.......lesson learned, and boy was it an expensive one!

Reactions: GavieboyDji
As a pilot, you are constantly managing risks.

Risks vs rewards: one of the risks was a strong wind.

What was the reward? Was it worth the risks?

Decisions, decisions....

Better To Be On The Ground Wishing You Were In The Air Than Being In The Air And Wishing You Were On The Ground

What would you guys have done in this situation?
If I noticed hat wind was very strong and gusty on the ground, I'd know it would be stronger up higher as it always is.

But if had to launch and thought the flight might be possible, I would have carefully flown straight into the wind and observed how well it dealt with the headwind.
If it slowed the drone much, I would not turn and fly downwind because that would mean a fight to get back home.
If I saw that the drone couldn't make headway, I'd get it back on the ground ASAP.

Allowing the drone to get downwind in a strong wind situation is always a mistake.
Much better to have a slow flight upwind and an easy ride back than the reverse.

But if I had lost the drone like you, the first thing I'd do would be to look at the flight data because it has lots of very useful information.
To do that, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
One more item I might add is that if you are flying in very high wind or especially in gusty wind conditions but both you and the drone can handle it, then I would always hand launch and hand catch for landing. Even if the drone can handle the wind conditions in flight, the most dangerous time is during takeoff and landing. Just this past weekend I was flying my Phantom in gusty winds up to 30 MPH. It had no issues in flight, but I hand caught for safety. Of course that is not the situation for you since it seems the wind was too strong for the Mavic even in flight.

The guys on this forum would find this bird almost guaranteed in this environment. It was less than 500 yards from you in a desert.

Reactions: JDawg
Seems a bit short-sighted.
1. Windy
2. Travelling
Basically, if things go pear-shape, you won't have time to be looking for it. And for the rest of your trip, you'll be thinking about your lost drone. Live and Learn.

Where do you read that he left after less than a minute and that it was still in the air? He said when the distance stopped ticking down he went out and looked for it - where the map indicated that it was.

Reactions: CaptBill
"It was SUPER windy outside"
What would you guys have done in this situation? "

Not flown...

"I guess I’ll never know what happened. "

I think we can figure it out...

Hey it was super windy out! :)
Nice...

Do you have to be such an ascii? Feel better about yourself now?

Reactions: CaptBill
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov