DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone drowned after crashing

John_03

Reactions
I drowned my drone while flying over the water, without the refresh care program, is it worth trying to get something from dji or is that’s a waste of time?

So while I was flying my Mavic air 2s over the water taking shots of my friends boating I put the drone into active track and started filming. Then while I was looking at my phone to see what I was even taking a video of I see the drone approaching the side of the boat really fast so I automatically try to make it fly backwards but it wouldn’t stop and just continued right into the boat and then into the water. I jumped into the water after it but it was too late and now it’s somewhere over 50ft under water.

When I bought the drone (just over one week ago) I didn’t know about their refresh care program so I didn’t get it, is it worth my time trying to contact dji over this matter or are they not going to do anything?

You may get a 30% voucher if your lucky
Where you in sports mode of did you have avoidance turned off
Somebody on here could read you flight logs and tell you yes or no most like a pilot error as you weren't looking at screen at the time

... I put the drone into active track and started filming. ... I see the drone approaching the side of the boat really fast... and just continued right into the boat and then into the water.
If you had your MA2s in active track it's hard to decipher what went wrong ... all automated flight modes are flight log wise closed "boxes", no way for us to look inside... but DJI might have the possibility. An aggravating circumstance is that you lost the craft so no way for DJI to look into the DAT log from the craft itself ...

I would try the luck & spend some time contacting DJI about this ...

I contacted dji and am currently waiting for a reply.

Im gonna try to rig something up and see if I manage fish it up from the lake.
Does anyone have an idea on how I could do this?

I have the last location of when it was giving me a signal. I think it’s worth a try... if I don’t find it then oh well

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
If your drone drowned in salt water, you may as well forget resurrecting it from the dead.
If it was fresh water, you may have a 50% chance. You can do a search function on the glass upper right hand corner. Do a Query about water damage, see what results other pilots had after recovering drone from water.

I crashed my Air 2 into a lake. Immediately recovered it, dumped 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol through the vents and everything. Took apart the battery and swabbed it dry with the alcohol. Let it sit for 24 hours and it flew like normal. If you didn't wait too long this could work for you too. Best if luck my friend.

I crashed my Air 2 into a lake. Immediately recovered it, dumped 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol through the vents and everything. Took apart the battery and swabbed it dry with the alcohol. Let it sit for 24 hours and it flew like normal. If you didn't wait too long this could work for you too. Best if luck my friend.
Did you say you took apart the battery ? Or do you mean you took out the Battery ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I tried looking for it but like I said it’s somewhere around 50 ft underwater in a lake so the chances of finding it are practically zero. I contacted dji and it’s currently undergoing investigation, but I will try to get at least a 30% discount.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
A float is cheap ins. So is Refresh. Best of luck, lesson learned. If dive shop nearby they rent underwater drones, might help and fun. GL

Did you say you took apart the battery ? Or do you mean you took out the Battery ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I took the screws out of the battery and removed the cover. I didn't want to dump alcohol into the battery and cause a short, but I did want to dry it out the best I could. I swabbed everything with a Qtip drenched in alcohol and let it air dry for 24 hours. Put it back together and it flew right away, it still had a charge on it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
No, only Air 2S

6:40

1:02:30

And so on. Problem seems to be high speed of tracking object or loosing tracking object and regaining, the drone brakes then very slowly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada