DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone footage shows the shocking collapse of the Arecibo Observatory

PhantomFandom

Reactions
Ok, that was amazing footage. Did they just happen to be inspecting it when it broke loose.

Sorry for the loss. Glad no one was hurt.

It was scheduled for demolition apparently. That's sad.
Dr. Eleanor "Ellie" Arroway will not be happy.
But any one else think it's a bit odd for the cameras to be positioned perfectly to capture the collapse? Ground cameras I can maybe understand but a drone???

In the article it say they were conducting hourly inspections by drone, but to catch that is still pretty neat. I hate to see it go.

Wow, talk about timing. I was lucky to visit this facility in person, What a shame. ?

It was scheduled for demolition apparently. That's sad.
Dr. Eleanor "Ellie" Arroway will not be happy.
But any one else think it's a bit odd for the cameras to be positioned perfectly to capture the collapse? Ground cameras I can maybe understand but a drone???
That was my first thought.

The first cable snapped back in August and the telescope had been closed then. They were trying to figure out what to do with it when the second cable snapped a couple weeks ago. That spelled the end for the telescope as they knew it was going to fail completely. Only a matter of time, hence all the cameras set up and the regular drone inspections. Still good timing to be on the spot when it actually happened.

Big loss, particularly for "Near Earth Object" research.

That was drone footage? No that it really matters, but it seems more like security cam footage. It's interesting (and cool) that it had audio with it.

Sure looked like a set charge to me from the drone video and then who ever was controlling it actually turned the drone to see the other controlled charges go off.

So sad, what an amazing place. I always wanted to go visit Arecibo.

I would think slow motion video of that quality would have to be of fairly short duration. Was the sound added later? Spectacular to watch none the less.

Here's a video where Scott Manley explains the destruction with still frames at key moments.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78