DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone + FPV combo

Nicros

Reactions
Hi, I'm looking for a drone and FPV goggles for recreational use. Something small, quiet, and portable. I found this deal on Amazon, which seems pretty decent. But man, the headset looks huge. When I compare it to this DJI FPV system it seems impossibly bulky. From what I can tell however, the DJI FPV system is only for use with more DIY drones. Is that right? Could I use it with the mavic air instead of the big bulky toilet bowl headset?

All that aside, what is the highest res, best small, portable, quiet and quality drone and goggle combo?

DJI make 3 FPV goggles, 2 are for the DJI drones (except mini), they are the standard white googles, as per your Amazon link, and the RE (racing edition) goggles, black.
The RE can work with DJI drones and other FPV racing / acro type drones.

The other is the DJI FPV goggles, as per your DJI link.
These are only used for racing / acro type drones, won't work with DJI drones (unless you install the Air FPV system, but why bother doing that).

The Mavic Air and white goggles deal (maybe white drone and goggles, for $50 less ?) will do cinematic video, could fly sports, but the DJI consumer drones aren't going to give you acrobatic or really quick response like the FPV drones and micros etc.

The white goggles and RE goggles are fairly bulky, but balance is fine, and they are a reasonable 495g for the goggles part.

The DJI drones are pretty stable, easy to learn and fly (not sure if you have had a drone before of any type ?), while the FPV racing / acro are very much a fair bit of time and effort practicing on simulators and then on the real thing before you can fly reasonably well . . . you more or less have to be on the sticks and adjusting them all the time in flight, you can't let them hover like DJI and other such drones !

If this is your first drone / PFV, then I'd go with the Amazon deal if you find it good (seems fine).
If later you are keen to get into other drones like the racing or acro, then maybe look for a DJI drone with the RE goggles, or a good FLymore package on an Air and get either of the goggles later.

Keep in mind that the Air is a wifi signal drone, you need a cable from controller to the goggles, and without ocusync like the bigger Mavics, you can't run a normal device (phoe, ipad etc) AND the goggles at the same time, it's one of the other.
Also Air and wifi signal has distance limitations, you aren't going to be able to fly it for miles (perhaps if you have the FCC model where you live, that gives better range enough for you ?)

This thread was on here the other day, has an option for a decent looking FPV headset, usable with DJI drones (to be confirmed for the Air, but should be fine).

Maybe have a read up and these Yuneec Skyview goggles might be a better intro price wise for you.

(edit, there's a vid in that link to connect DJI goggles to the Air.)

Thanks much for the thoughtful response! I've flown quads before- nothing huge, but I have a blade nano qf drone I'm very comfortable with. I've also flown remote heli's, mostly the trex 450 class. IMO those are waaaay harder than flying a drone. Not really interested in racing (yet), was really looking more to get the feel of being in the sky and seeing the world with the best resolution and most comfort possible.

I like the size factor of the mavic air, and portability. I don't know how quiet it is. Given that drone, would there be any advantage to spending a bit more for the DJI RE goggles? Or what about the Moverio BT-300's? Or should I be thinking about another drone? I'm willing to spend a bit more if it's really worth it.

I don't know if this changes any of what you have said above, but would be interested in your thoughts.

You'll be more than fine with the DJI drones then :)

The Air is a great drone, my BIL has one.
They are a little higher pitch, and more annoying to the ear than the M1P, MPP, M2 range . . . he has the MAS (Master AIrscrew) props, and it made a big improvement.

If you want to use goggles only for the DJI drone, you can get white, but probably not much more to get the RE there, and more flexibility ?
I'm not sure what BT300 are compatible with, but obviously many using them for the DJI drones.

Maybe research the Moveiro, the Yuneec Skyview goggles in that mini thread, and then work out firstly what will work with your various aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike