DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Insurance = BUST

Yes pretty obvious this is an international forum. Perhaps others from UK would like to avoid that insurance then, still useful knowledge for our forum members.

How can you get care refresh after the fact? I purchased a new MP and thought I would get the care refresh a couple of months down the road. I tried to pay for care refresh but the DJI web site says I had to do it within 48 hours of my purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
I purchased my care refresh a couple of weeks after purchase. Bought from third party seller, they never mentioned care refresh, when I contacted DJI I told them was never informed of care refresh and they let me purchase it.

Not everyone is in the US and the OP may be in the UK.

True, in this case I'm almost sure ozdrone in in Oz, aka Australia :)

No State Farm here, can get refresh I think.

I have read somewhere before that personal type insurance here under home contents insurance covers for theft, accidental dropping etc, but not covered in use / flight.
Not sure if anyone offers it, maybe professional flyers can get special cover under commercial insurances.

So to clarify, the policy did not cover "in-flight" (extra cost was not paid?) Any exclusions are normally listed in the written policy. All of the ones I've read about in these forums for specific "drone" insurance like State Farm mentioned above were covered. Doesn't mean they won't raise your renewal rates after claims are made, but they seem to have paid off in most cases. What insurance company did you use, so others may learn?
If you look at his name and some of the idioms he uses you can determine he's in Australia.
I dunno if US Insurance companies operate there or in the same manner as laws in each country differ.

I am in New Jersey and I have a State Farm "Personal Articles" policy as Stride8 mentioned. I bought the policy the day the drone arrived. $54 for the year and it covers the drone for pretty much everything as long as I am not using it commercially (making money). I have not had to file a claim, but my agent has assured me I'm covered for theft, flyaway, crash or if the drone becomes defective. All I had to do was show my receipts and they wanted to see the website where I purchased it. The whole process took about 20 minutes.

Bit of a ridiculous title - your home & contents insurance will specifically state what it covers. Anything omitted is not covered.

Never heard of any exisiting blanket device policy covering drones, which is why many people recommend their insurers having specific drone coverage.

Personally, I use PhotoGuard in the UK who cover everything except mechanical breakdown.

Photoguard don’t cover drones... At least they dont now, if they did in the past.

Here is more info on state farm "drone insurance". If you live in the US (not in CA) then it is by far the best deal. The tricky part is finding an agent who knows about it and will not try to rip you off. For that I created a spreadsheet that overs have added agents that they had good experience with.

Gotten insurance with State Farm? If so please read!

State Farm UAS Agents

Reactions: Former Member
Reactions: geofox784
I had DJI Care Refresh & it was a joke. Would never buy it again.
I now bought the State Farm Drone Insurance for $30. a year. Covers everything for hobbyist but not liability.
This rate varies between states.
They payout $1300. in case of loss, stolen, crash, etc... Pretty much no questions asked.
The only negative I see is that if you make a claim in the first year, they will payout but cancel you & you can't insure again for 2 years.

I purchased a as new mavic pro totally set up with everything. I wanted the care refresh very bad and was scared to fly it without it. The thing that turned me away from the care refresh was the fact they required the video verification and for someone that has never flown before I was scared of crashing it performing the video verification. The major turn off with care refresh is that it's only a 12 month maximum policy. After the 1 year is up your flying with no insurance. I went with the State Farm personal articles policy for $60 annually. All they required was a bill of sale, it covers it whether it's a fly away or stolen out of my house or truck. The selling point was I can renew the policy as many years as I want to. Care refresh you can't. Another big plus is the personal articles policy covers up to $3,000 where the care refresh just covers the drone or controller repair or replacement.

As others have said, State Farm has a drone policy. I have it. $60 a year and peace of mind in case of theft, crash, or fly away.

My AAA (Southern California Auto Club) Homeowner's Insurance policy specifically INCLUDES full coverage of Model Aircraft INCLUDING drones, as long as they are being used in a LEGAL manner. This includes all my policy's liability protections and this is all part of my policy with no additional charges.
:)Thumbswayup

Crashed my Phantom 3 100 feet up into a tree last April. It’s still up there. Allstate allowed me to replace it with a Mavic Pro, new batteries and ND filters. It was easy, I did it all on the phone and app and had a check in about a week.

Why haven't you retrieved your Phantom?
Surely there must be safe way to do this?
Hire a tree trimmer with all the right climbing gear.
I would think it would be worth the money.

Why haven't you retrieved your Phantom?
Surely there must be safe way to do this?
Hire a tree trimmer with all the right climbing gear.
I would think it would be worth the money.
Many have tried.

I live in Vermont. The tree is a white pine. Plenty of loggers up here. I had a guy with 30 years experience said he could get it no problem. Came out with another logger. He got all rigged up. First, the tree is so big around he had a hard time getting his gear around the circumference. The first branches don't start until about 30 feet up. After that the branches are so thick that he would have to unhook and reattach every few feet or less. Then the Phantom is near the very top of the tree where it is very thin and unstable. Normally a logger will cut and clear branches as they go up, but the tree is not on my property so we can't just go cutting it. One or both of the Phantoms legs are are threaded throgh a branch so it is solidly wedged up there no matter what the wind and weather tries to do to it. It's not coming down until that tree eventually falls.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying