DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Insurance = BUST

ozdrone

Reactions
Hi all, long time reader first time poster.

I was happily flying my Mavic the other day when an hawk decided it wanted a piece of it. Hit a rotor which snapped off then the 90m free fall back to rock hard earth followed.

I was guttered when i found him, sitting there looking up at me looking, broken arms and legs and a punched in face.

All is saved because I have him listed on my home and contents insurance as a specifically identified item and insured separately as a "portable device" which is taken away and used from the insured address.

DO NOT BE FOOLED.

Insurance groups (specifically ones that have a little jingle like "luckyyyyyy you're with A....") do not cover them the second they are turned on so if you do have insurance and believe that you are covered, think again because you are not. They will tell you that you're covered but in fact your not.

There is a real gap in coverage between a commercial operator and private operator with no care refresh (bought it second hand)

It maybe still repairable, got any pictures?

You can still get dji care refresh on a secondhand mavic you just need to send them a video to prove it still works

I was about to submit the verification video it got too windy in my area and then got tied up with work so I really didn't get around to it honestly.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 417
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 422
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 425
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 428
Sorry to hear about your incident.

Same with most insurance companies, you think you're insured until it's time to make a claim.

Looks like the mavic got beat up pretty bad

Is the gimbal bent at all?

Obviously needs a new top and middle frame £20
New rear arms £70

After that it may need forward vision £?, compass £? and depending on gimbal
ribbon cable & mounting plate £20 + lvds cable £?
motor assembly £50 + lvds cable £?
complete gimbal £250

prices are just from what I've seen on eBay for an indication

Is the gimbal bent at all?

Obviously needs a new top and middle frame £20
New rear arms £70

After that it may need forward vision £?, compass £? and depending on gimbal
ribbon cable & mounting plate £20 + lvds cable £?
motor assembly £50 + lvds cable £?
complete gimbal £250

prices are just from what I've seen on eBay for an indication

£250 for complete gimbal...

If that's required, wouldn't it be better to sell the controller and buy a used/refurb mavic?

Tbh I would take the top & bottom off make sure the boards look ok disconnect the gimbal ribbon and lvds cable (silver camera cable), make sure rear motor wires arnt shorting out and power it up to see what errors you get

Core boards go for around £200, esc board around £80, so if they work and you don't want to repair then you can get more the just the RC money towards another one

Reactions: azsully3
Well apparently a replacement mavic minus battery and controller is about $1,000 from DJI. the gimbal is bent and snapped, looks as though he impacted nose down

Tbh I would take the top & bottom off make sure the boards look ok disconnect the gimbal ribbon and lvds cable (silver camera cable), make sure rear motor wires arnt shorting out and power it up to see what errors you get

Core boards go for around £200, esc board around £80, so if they work and you don't want to repair then you can get more the just the RC money towards another one

thats not a bad idea

Bent like this? DSC_0436.JPG
If the gimbal itself isn't bent then it isn't to bad

Normally it just breaks the mounting plate £3 and attached cables

Bit of a ridiculous title - your home & contents insurance will specifically state what it covers. Anything omitted is not covered.

Never heard of any exisiting blanket device policy covering drones, which is why many people recommend their insurers having specific drone coverage.

Personally, I use PhotoGuard in the UK who cover everything except mechanical breakdown.

Reactions: thomashall1993
Newegg had refurb mavic with 1 yr warranty for $730 usd this week, and will again. Sell your parts for $350-450.
People have had success with the State Farm drone insurance. $60 (or less!) a year, $0 deductible, $5000 replacement, even if not recovered.

Yes Flawless one would that the policy would........AND IT DID....... this insurance policy was for home and contents of a portable nature (such as phone, laptop, drone) that regularly are not located at the address. Just as a side not, 2017 DJI Mavic Pro, remote and 4 batteries along with all the individual serial numbers were specifically noted on the policy as being the portable items with the intended use of flight, which cost extra so no its not as ridiculous as it sounds

Reactions: fiftiesnut
Newegg had refurb mavic with 1 yr warranty for $730 usd this week, and will again. Sell your parts for $350-450.
People have had success with the State Farm drone insurance. $60 (or less!) a year, $0 deductible, $5000 replacement, even if not recovered.

I agree with @SunnyD

Sell your controller for $150 - $200 usd
Sell the rest of the wreck for $150 - $250
Sell your battery for $60 - $70usd if its not broken
Buy a Newegg refurb for $740usd

You might be our of pocket $250 - $350 but you will have a bird that is under warranty for a year. And also buy the Refresh or State farm if you are in the USA.

Reactions: SunnyD
with the intended use of flight, which cost extra so no its not as ridiculous as it sounds
So to clarify, the policy did not cover "in-flight" (extra cost was not paid?) Any exclusions are normally listed in the written policy. All of the ones I've read about in these forums for specific "drone" insurance like State Farm mentioned above were covered. Doesn't mean they won't raise your renewal rates after claims are made, but they seem to have paid off in most cases. What insurance company did you use, so others may learn?

Reactions: GooterFly68
Yes Flawless one would that the policy would........AND IT DID....... this insurance policy was for home and contents of a portable nature (such as phone, laptop, drone) that regularly are not located at the address. Just as a side not, 2017 DJI Mavic Pro, remote and 4 batteries along with all the individual serial numbers were specifically noted on the policy as being the portable items with the intended use of flight, which cost extra so no its not as ridiculous as it sounds

State Farm has a separate Personal Articles Policy that would have covered your drone.

It maybe still repairable, got any pictures?

You can still get dji care refresh on a secondhand mavic you just need to send them a video to prove it still works

How can you get care refresh after the fact? I purchased a new MP and thought I would get the care refresh a couple of months down the road. I tried to pay for care refresh but the DJI web site says I had to do it within 48 hours of my purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

How can you get care refresh after the fact? I purchased a new MP and thought I would get the care refresh a couple of months down the road. I tried to pay for care refresh but the DJI web site says I had to do it within 48 hours of my purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

There is a way. You have to send them videos of your Mavic in action. Check their site, all info should be there.

So to clarify, the policy did not cover "in-flight" (extra cost was not paid?) Any exclusions are normally listed in the written policy. All of the ones I've read about in these forums for specific "drone" insurance like State Farm mentioned above were covered. Doesn't mean they won't raise your renewal rates after claims are made, but they seem to have paid off in most cases. What insurance company did you use, so others may learn?
Not everyone is in the US and the OP may be in the UK.

Reactions: Brojon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78