DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone limitations in Europe

frankiez

Reactions
I am going to Germany and maybe a couple other countries in May for 2 weeks and would like to get some good video over there. Does anybody know if I need special permits or permission to fly my Mavic while there?

sent from my Galaxy Note4

Not exact info about Germany, live in CZ here is the max 300m AGL. Do not fly over people about 50m min from houses or people do not fly over highways or railways etc. Restricted areas are here too like airports powerstations... Lot of nice nature castles worth to see.

Reactions: frankiez
Hi frankiez,

in Germany the general rules are:
- keep minimum distance of 1.5 km from airports, heliports and so one (use Hover app or similar to check)
- keep line of sight
- stay below 100 m altitude
- do not fly over groups of people
- mandatory insurance (not just general public liability, you need a specialized model aircraft insurance)
- if you want to start/land on private ground, you need permission from the owner
- you should also stay away from industrial and military facilities, of course

If you can read German, this is a good summary: RC-Network Magazin: Modellflug und Luftrecht

Stricter rules apply for commercial use. Local governments may also impose further restrictions.

Regarding Heidelberg, I don't know the exact local rules, but as far as a little googling revealed, the general rules would apply there. So, you could probably do a POI circling of the castle without problems if you manage to keep line of sight, as the castle is surrounded by mostly trees and only a few houses. I wouldn't fly directly over the castle though, as there will always be plenty of people walking around.

Maik

Hi frankiez,

- keep minimum distance of 1.5 km from airports, heliports and so one (use Hover app or similar to check)
- keep line of sight
- mandatory insurance (not just general public liability, you need a specialized model aircraft insurance)
- if you want to start/land on private ground, you need permission from the owner

If you can read German, this is a good summary: RC-Network Magazin: Modellflug und Luftrecht

Stricter rules apply for commercial use. Local governments may also impose further restrictions.

Regarding Heidelberg, I don't know the exact local rules, but as far as a little googling revealed, the general rules would apply there. So, you could probably do a POI circling of the castle without problems if you manage to keep line of sight, as the castle is surrounded by mostly trees and only a few houses. I wouldn't fly directly over the castle though, as there will always be plenty of people walking around.

Maik
Thanks so much Maik!

One more suggestion: do the castle early in the morning. At that time, very few people will be around so you could get away with flying above the castle too, and the light is beautiful at that time anyway.

Hi frankiez,

- keep line of sight

Maik
Can you pls evaluate on the insurance parts, live in sweden but visit Germany a lot, can I get one of this insurances in Germany? Any tips would be appreciated

Can you pls evaluate on the insurance parts, live in sweden but visit Germany a lot, can I get one of this insurances in Germany? Any tips would be appreciated

I have this one: umfassende Modellhalter-Haftpflichtversicherung

Text is all German I'm afraid. It costs about 40€ per year and has worldwide coverage except USA. I suggest you look for a similar insurance from a model flight organization in your country.

Maik

I have this one: umfassende Modellhalter-Haftpflichtversicherung

Text is all German I'm afraid. It costs about 40€ per year and has worldwide coverage except USA. I suggest you look for a similar insurance from a model flight organization in your country.

Maik
Viellen danke herr Maik. I will make some calls to my insurance company and also some flying clubs.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1