DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone lost - need help

If it is indeed stuck up in a tree I have virtually no chance of finding it. The woods are about2-3 acres of mostly oak trees, which unfortunately keep their leaves into the winter. SO I wouldn't be able to get a better view this fall because the leaves will still be there. Maybe in the spring.'

In the meantime, I am going to start another thread soliciting information from people who have made a successful refresh claim to DJI even though they did not have the drone to send in. I have heard of some such cases. I believe mostly drones that were lost over water. I want to have a stock of cases where they did replace it so I can answer when they say no replacement without the old drone. Will report back if I have any luck with that request.

You can ask someone to fly their drone over the trees and search for it. Also if you keep looking you may spot it from below. There are reports of professional treeclimbers recovering drones stuck high up in the trees.

:eek::mad::confused::oops::rolleyes:
Actually, I did just that yesterday. (My fourth day of trying to find the mavic.) I went out with a friend and he flew his Mavic 2 over the trees while I looked up from the ground inside the woods. He flew it to the latitude and longitude that SAR104's calculations pinpointed as the likely entry point into the woods. With his drone overhead, I was able to identify which trees were probably the ones into which mine crashed. He took photos from the air while I used a digital camera to take pictures looking up into the canopy. I am in the process of carefully examining the photos both ground and air blowing them up as much as possible. While I am able to see a fair amount of detail, I am pretty pessimistic at this point. There are so many leaves that I doubt that I will ever be able to find it in the pictures.

My friend and I will go up to take more pictures after the leaves fall in late fall or early winter. With most of the leaves gone, I would have a better chance of finding it. If that doesn't work, we will go out again after snow has fallen as the white background will make it more likely to see the drone from the air.

At this point, I am despairing of ever being able to locate it. Even though it was equipped with a trackimo, the battery has since died and it is no longer sending out location signals.

I will submit a DJI Refesh claim but I am not optimistic about that either since I don't have the drone to send in. I am hopeful that they will realize that a sudden and complete loss of power which caused the crash is not my fault. But when it comes to parting with a new drone, I suspect they will not see it my way.

Am posting a couple of ground and aerial photos so you can see what I am up against.

Attachments

• DSC_0161.JPG
    DSC_0161.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4828.jpeg
    IMG_4828.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 63
year or two ago I have lost P2, lost the connection and P2 begin the RTH procedure but for some reason he missed take off point by 200 meters, since RTH was set high I could not hear it so I believed that it went in opposite direction, at the point where I still had connection, to make it short I was looking for hours and just before the dark decided to check the other places, soon, by luck, my phone established the connection and I could see the drone camera image - before that didnt know is it on the tree or on the ground but finally could determine that its in the grass but despite the fact that it was just 10 / 20 meters away I could not see it despite the white color of the P2 because the grass was tall ... Found it just because I was able to hear silent buzzing of the stuck engines ...

Its very hard to locate the lost quadcopter, believe that first hour or so is most important, while quad battery still last ...

Good luck, this is the only thread I follow and keeping my fingers crossed in hope that you ll find it.

Reactions: Concern
Thanks for the interest.

Current status: Still lost.

SAR104's calculated trajectory puts it into the trees and I believe that I have identified the particular tree. Unfortunately, it is an oak tree which is very heavily leafed out. If I was certain which tree it was in, I would hire a tree trimmer I know to climb up, locate it and recover it. However since I am not positive I am right, I hesitate to bring him out there to climb up a bunch of different trees trying to locate it.

I have gone out and carefully searched the ground in the wooded area a total of 8 times. The last few were after times when we got winds gusting over 50 mph. I had hoped that the strong winds would cause enough movement in the branches to shake it loose. It didn't fall.

It is next to impossible to go out there, look up and carefully scan the branches above. SO instead of doing a visual search on site, I went out with my camera and took over 300 photos of the branches and leaves of the canopy.. I started by photographing the base of the tree so I could locate it and then moved up taking photos into the canopy. I then brought the photos home and downloaded them onto my computer and looked at each individually blown up as far as I could on my computer and then doing a careful search pattern through each photo. Unfortunately, the leaves were so heavy that I could not locate the Mavic.

I had hoped that as fall and winter came, that the tree would lose all its leaves. While almost every other tree has lost its leaves, this type of oak loses its leaves later than most oak and other trees in the area. Right now it has lost some of its leaves, but probably still has about 30-40% of its leaves.

I am waiting until it loses some more leaves, hopefully within the next few weeks and do another photo search. I'm just happy it is not a pin oak which doesn't lose its leaves until spring. I bought a used Mavic pro from Thunderdrones - he has great prices - and will also do a Drone Deploy map at low altitude and search through all those pictures too.

I am confident that I will be able to find it and once I do will hire the tree trimmer too limb up and recover it.

I made a refresh claim with DJI but of course they denied it because I couldn't send in the old one, and even though they determined that there was no pilot error. The best they could do was offer me a discount on a rebuilt drone but Thunderdrone's price was cheaper. And also by not settling the Refresh claim that way, when I actually do fund the drone, I will send it into DJI and get a rebuilt one and then sell that.

So that's what the current status is. I am hoping to be able to go out with the next couple of weeks for another round of ground and air photos.

Jack

Thanks for the update. Good luck to you . . .

Reactions: Skyflyer129
Thanks for the update, best of luck recovering that bird.
Blue skies from SoCal

Thanks for the interest.

Current status: Still lost.

SAR104's calculated trajectory puts it into the trees and I believe that I have identified the particular tree. Unfortunately, it is an oak tree which is very heavily leafed out. If I was certain which tree it was in, I would hire a tree trimmer I know to climb up, locate it and recover it. However since I am not positive I am right, I hesitate to bring him out there to climb up a bunch of different trees trying to locate it.

I have gone out and carefully searched the ground in the wooded area a total of 8 times. The last few were after times when we got winds gusting over 50 mph. I had hoped that the strong winds would cause enough movement in the branches to shake it loose. It didn't fall.

It is next to impossible to go out there, look up and carefully scan the branches above. SO instead of doing a visual search on site, I went out with my camera and took over 300 photos of the branches and leaves of the canopy.. I started by photographing the base of the tree so I could locate it and then moved up taking photos into the canopy. I then brought the photos home and downloaded them onto my computer and looked at each individually blown up as far as I could on my computer and then doing a careful search pattern through each photo. Unfortunately, the leaves were so heavy that I could not locate the Mavic.

I had hoped that as fall and winter came, that the tree would lose all its leaves. While almost every other tree has lost its leaves, this type of oak loses its leaves later than most oak and other trees in the area. Right now it has lost some of its leaves, but probably still has about 30-40% of its leaves.

I am waiting until it loses some more leaves, hopefully within the next few weeks and do another photo search. I'm just happy it is not a pin oak which doesn't lose its leaves until spring. I bought a used Mavic pro from Thunderdrones - he has great prices - and will also do a Drone Deploy map at low altitude and search through all those pictures too.

I am confident that I will be able to find it and once I do will hire the tree trimmer too limb up and recover it.

I made a refresh claim with DJI but of course they denied it because I couldn't send in the old one, and even though they determined that there was no pilot error. The best they could do was offer me a discount on a rebuilt drone but Thunderdrone's price was cheaper. And also by not settling the Refresh claim that way, when I actually do fund the drone, I will send it into DJI and get a rebuilt one and then sell that.

So that's what the current status is. I am hoping to be able to go out with the next couple of weeks for another round of ground and air photos.

Jack
It's been DJI's practice in the past to replace an AC even without the return of the if it is a warranty issue. In most cases it ended up in deep water so that could be a factor.
Discount on AC was usually applied when fault was inconclusive but defect plausible.

Guys in the event that this guy had a sudden lost of power. If we assume the battery got loose. Do you guys know anyone that sell 3D battery clamps for a mavic pro platinum? This **** freaks me out. If anyone can 3D print one or know where I can get one please PM me or provide link, thanks in advance.

Guys in the event that this guy had a sudden lost of power. If we assume the battery got loose. Do you guys know anyone that sell 3D battery clamps for a mavic pro platinum? This **** freaks me out. If anyone can 3D print one or know where I can get one please PM me or provide link, thanks in advance.

Best of luck, Jack! I got excited when I saw your location was in IL, thinking that if you were somewhere between me and St Louis I could possibly help out, but Google Maps quashed that idea. Hope everything works out and you're able to recover it!

Hey thank you for your suggestion, the only problem with the Velcro I can think off is it blocking the sensors at the bottom of the ac
The strap is not very wide and you could trim it if needed.

Reactions: Skyflyer129
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga