DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone lost - need help

Before you power up that sunken bird ... a good drone technician might be able to safely extract the log files without encountering problems caused by short-circuits in components unrelated to that task. That said, I'm not sure if or how such work would affect your claim with DJI, so there's that to consider, too.

And lest I forget, a high-five to you for the perseverance to recover it ? , and another big tip-o-the-hat to @sar104 for his selfless and expert analysis ? (may I never need his help!).

Reactions: Skyflyer129
If after drying out the battery is unable to show a state of charge by a single press, I wouldn't try charging it. If it does light up, then maybe it will take a charge. Maybe try it outside.

You would need to power the AC and connect to PC with Assistant to pull the DAT log.

If after drying out the battery is unable to show a state of charge by a single press, I wouldn't try charging it. If it does light up, then maybe it will take a charge. Maybe try it outside.

You would need to power the AC and connect to PC with Assistant to pull the DAT log.

Sounds like good advice. Will do.

I dried out the Mavic and battery for a week. I decided not to try anything with the battery for fear of a short. I used a brush and electronics contact cleaner to clean the battery terminals and USB port on the drone. I removed the props. Thunderdrones who has been very helpful suggested I be careful and power down in case the cooling fan did not start due to corrosion. So I left it outside to let it get very cold to slow down the heating of the drone when powered up. I hooked it up to my laptop with DJI Assistant open and then inserted a fresh battery and turned it on. I wanted to download the .DAT file from the Mavic. However, I got absolutely nothing from the Mavic when I tried to turn it on. No lights, no sounds, no movement on the gimbal. So after all that I was unable to get at the DAT file to post that. However, I have asked that DJI do an analysis as part of the Refresh Care replacement process. If they figure it out, I will post what they say.

Since the battery was firmly in the drone, the only thing I could think of as a possible cause was that the circuitry or the firmware in the battery went bad and shut it down. Now, after not getting any response after I plugged in a new battery, I suppose the firmware or the circuitry in the drone itself might have gotten corrupted. Can't wait to see what, if anything, DJI says about it.

Again, thanks for all the help from everyone on the forum.

Jack

Sorry for your loss, I’ve been there and it hurts.

TRACKIMO has a delay, mine is set at lowest setting for 1minute until next signal is sent to update the phone app. It may be possible, during a battery disconnect the Mavic dropped into a source of water, thus damaging TRACKIMO before update signal was sent. The position your app is showing may be the last position update during this delay, if TRACKIMO is damaged after that last update there will be a gap of distance.

However, retrace that last position on app and walk in the direction you launched the flight. It’s probably not too far from it’s last shown position on the app.

Good luck,
Paul

And a separate and very special thank you to SAR104. Without his help I never would have stayed the course continued to search for it. His ability to locate a lost drone is amazing. He put me within about 30 feet of mine. And when it finally fell out of the tree it was in and fell into the creek, I was able to recover it to send in and get a new one. He is so generous with his time and skills to help people on this forum. Three cheers for him.

And a separate and very special thank you to SAR104. Without his help I never would have stayed the course continued to search for it. His ability to locate a lost drone is amazing. He put me within about 30 feet of mine. And when it finally fell out of the tree it was in and fell into the creek, I was able to recover it to send in and get a new one. He is so generous with his time and skills to help people on this forum. Three cheers for him.
Three cheers indeed! Three might not be enough, considering.

P.S.: If you want someone alerted to a post, you prefix their ID with “@“. So for example, your previous might say, “...very special thank you to @sar104 .” ?

May merriment prevail for all! ?

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc