DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone nearly collides with passenger plane near The Shard

Load of old rubbish.

Firstly planes on approach to Heathrow from the East do indeed pass the Shard - about 3km south of it. They also pass Buckingham Palace. And the North Pole. Secondly, unless they're seriously out of shape, the flight corridor will have the planes passing the Shard at around 1200m, some four times higher than the Shard itself at 310m.

Hovered over the wing. Yeah right.

Load of old rubbish.

Firstly planes on approach to Heathrow from the East do indeed pass the Shard - about 3km south of it. They also pass Buckingham Palace. And the North Pole. Secondly, unless they're seriously out of shape, the flight corridor will have the planes passing the Shard at around 1200m, some four times higher than the Shard itself at 310m.

Hovered over the wing. Yeah right.
Probably from here though
Major £344m London City Airport expansion gets green light

Since when is the Sun News?
Your OP is strange. "The plane was just a couple of hundred yards east of the 1016ft-high skyscraper" ??

"nearly" "almost" "could have" "luckily" , *sigh*

Do you think if Sully saw a drone hovering on the runway, he would have headed for the hudson?

I'm surprised a pilot moving a minimum of 150mph can even spot a drone from the cockpit.
I can't see my mavic once it's about 50m away

As others have stated, there is no chance in HELL that a 20" drone could achieve the speed required to fly along side of an airplane. No chance, as in, no possible, conceivable, technological (let alone, just "logical") chance.

I saw this in another thread... Thought it applied here as well:

8e12d5311338b7155d8435d17f719fbb.jpg

Kevin

I've spoke to many commercial UAS pilots and they are all pi$$ed off with the lack of enforcement, all that happens is some idiot with drone and no brain cells ignores the regulations then they ie. the commercial pilots get stung with new rules and courses to pay for.

The mentality of 50% of the new deluxe selfie pilots seems to be one of pure entitlement, not comprehension of regulations and no interest in educating themselves about the potential risks to people and property around them.

NEW UK suggestions to register drones needs to go further and insist pilots have liability insurance and carry out annual auditing of flight logs. The policing of this should be paid for by the drone registration fees that would be liable per annum. Like the US drones should have to display registration marks clearly to enable reporting of incidents.

I know in CANADA they are now introducing new rules to ensure all pilots have to register, have insurance and take a 'flight school safety course' prior to being able to fly. Then they will be limited to airspace zone G ie. the lowest.

This is a contentious issue for all pilots and so many videos show unqualified pilots across the world flouting the regulations. I hear comments like its okay its just Thailand!! It's not!! VLOS is used in most countries now, also altitude restrictions and safe distance from people and property.

Lets put it another way, when a pilot gets upset with your irresponsible flying. The likely hood is if he is qualified he's carried out several courses and paid thousands of pounds/dollars/yen/euros..... So have the respect to acknowledge this and not spew bollX about "my right", "it's a free world", "what could go wrong?"... blah blah blah.

Finally, break the rules today, the likely hood is tomorrow you'll have a Mavic shaped paperweight when the skies are closed to hobbyists.

ps. MERRRRRRRRYYYYYY CHRISTMASSSSS

mavicxmas.jpg
Right on! I honestly don't think that most people have any idea how important air safety is or the implications of flying unsafely. My eyes were profoundly opened when I started studying for my license. Many will say "there has never been an accident", etc., but the key is that there hasn't been a serious accident "yet". Unfortunately with the current climate of disregard for the rules by some people, there will be a serious accident and then all hell will break loose.

Like to add things "nearly" happen every day. I was "nearly" t boned just two days ago by a little ol blue haired lady that could barely see over the steering wheel. We haven as a society banned little ol lady's though.

How many skate boarders ride out in traffic or bicycles the list goes on and on but there are inherent dangers in leaving your doorstep everyday hopefully we as a society don't loose it on everything that scares us.

With that said we usually do.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

It's not about drones.... it's about control. Those in the air want the space to themselves.

that picture is so LoL
It needs some tweaking but yeh that and make T-Shirts

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31