DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone nearly collides with passenger plane near The Shard

combustication

Reactions
The plane was just a couple of hundred yards east of the 1016ft-high skyscraper, whose 95 storeys make it the tallest building in western Europe.

The pilot spotted the black drone through the flight deck window and the crew watched as the object – 20in across – hovered over the right wing.

Only good luck prevented a collision which could have caused a catastrophe, said a report.

It was the third drone near miss in consecutive days involving airliners coming in to land at Heathrow.

The day before an Airbus A319 pilot saw a large drone pass around 100 yards away down the left hand side of his aircraft and appeared to be filming aeroplanes arriving at the airport.

And the day before that, an A320 pilot saw a drone fly within 50ft of his wing tip as he was coming in to land and investigators said it endangered the jet and the people aboard.

Air disaster narrowly averted over London after drone nearly collides with plane

Plenty of idiots flying London including R157/8 and then posting it on PooTube.
Unbelievably ignorant dangerous and irresponsible.

Plenty of idiots flying London including R157/8 and then posting it on PooTube.
Unbelievably ignorant dangerous and irresponsible.
I agree that there are lots of idiots flying in London, and something needs to be done about it.....but the post states that the crew 'watched as it hovered over the right wing'....
I don't think there are many 20" drones that are going to fly fast enough to keep up with a full size plane! Something not right here.

I agree that there are lots of idiots flying in London, and something needs to be done about it.....but the post states that the crew 'watched as it hovered over the right wing'....
I don't think there are many 20" drones that are going to fly fast enough to keep up with a full size plane! Something not right here.
That was my first thought as well! :rolleyes:

Reactions: enigmamdw
I'd suspect that's the newspaper's attempt to sex it up rather than what the crew said, because another version says it "passed over the wing"
In this case pretty sure they did see a large black drone where it shouldn't have been but whether there was any real danger is debatable.

The plane was just a couple of hundred yards east of the 1016ft-high skyscraper, whose 95 storeys make it the tallest building in western Europe.

The pilot spotted the black drone through the flight deck window and the crew watched as the object – 20in across – hovered over the right wing.

Only good luck prevented a collision which could have caused a catastrophe, said a report.

It was the third drone near miss in consecutive days involving airliners coming in to land at Heathrow.

The day before an Airbus A319 pilot saw a large drone pass around 100 yards away down the left hand side of his aircraft and appeared to be filming aeroplanes arriving at the airport.

And the day before that, an A320 pilot saw a drone fly within 50ft of his wing tip as he was coming in to land and investigators said it endangered the jet and the people aboard.

Air disaster narrowly averted over London after drone nearly collides with plane
Wow, hovered over the right wing? Speedy drone, must have been in SuperSportTurboRace mode with the traction control off.

Same thing over and over again. Minority ruin it for the majority. Any of you with section 1 and 2 know what I'm talking about. Won't be long before it becomes a heavily controlled hobby with lots of hoops to jump through

Move over parrot piece of crap! here comes the Mavic!!!

Same thing over and over again. Minority ruin it for the majority. Any of you with section 1 and 2 know what I'm talking about. Won't be long before it becomes a heavily controlled hobby with lots of hoops to jump through

That same minority you refer to will not be deterred by any amount of regulations or hoops or limitations. They are building their own DIY aircraft without firmware and software limitations, and are not interested in being legal, registered, or compliant. :rolleyes:

That same minority you refer to will not be deterred by any amount of regulations or hoops or limitations. They are building their own DIY aircraft without firmware and software limitations, and are not interested in being legal, registered, or compliant. :rolleyes:
Nail on the head my friend!

The story sounds like another load of crap. The FAA actually posts all drone encounter complaints online. They go on forever and they're quite entertaining. 99% of them make absolutely no sense. They talk about drones at 15,000 feet, drones that are the size of tires, all different colors etc. etc. most of them end with a notation saying "local PD notified" and then nothing else. It's all hysteria.

The story sounds like another load of crap. The FAA actually posts all drone encounter complaints online. They go on forever and they're quite entertaining. 99% of them make absolutely no sense. They talk about drones at 15,000 feet, drones that are the size of tires, all different colors etc. etc. most of them end with a notation saying "local PD notified" and then nothing else. It's all hysteria.
10 years ago, these sighting were all classified as UFO's and the pilot's mental stability was questioned. Now, every UFO sighting is "another drone sighting" and given immediate credibility! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: larkin and dam

Until we start seeing some dashcam footage of these incidents I don't know how to evaluate these claims.

Fact is every commercial jet liner pilot I know wants them banned for hobbyists... So we can try and argue about how high blah blah blah, but the the idiot shouldn't have had a **** drone there in the first place. WE as a community have to condemn the small minority that WILL destroy your hobby and leave you with an ornament.

Its going to happen. Its not a matter of if it will happen, but when it will happen. A drone will interfere with an airliner at some point in time. The outcome of drone versus airliner remains to be seen. As gadgetguy points out there is an entire sub group of drone pilots that have risky fling as part of thier mindset and get a thrill out of doing things with thier crafts that are quite illegal.

Will we the responsible knowledgeable legal pilots end up with over regulation and potential loss of our hobby?
Stricter regulations could be passed although the segment of daredevil flyers are not concerned with regulations in the first place.
Criminals have no concern about laws.
With the number of drones and pilots going up exponentially it may be hard to enforce.

I'm not sure how to condemn the stealthy criminal drone pilots. If anyone can point one out to me I will turn on condemnation mode.

/on condemnation
/repeat
/loop mode on
/timer = 30 min

:)

Last edited:
Lol I like the whit, agree frustrating to see the rogue pilots ruining it for rest of us.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BD0G
Unfortunately Legal and ethical operators will be condemned with the minority. As a commercial pilot as well as a remote pilot I am disappointed that the FAA hasn't taken some serious enforcement action when justified and warranted. Perhaps as an alternative to fines and or incarceration or issuing a simple warning letter, it would seem better served to require violators post educational safety videos on YouTube.

If someone's sUAS is injested into the intake and causes catastrophic engine failure on departure or short final, it will be the beginning of the end. We all need to self educate and try to keep everyone safe and keep a viable industry alive and respected. We can't rely on the government to regulate and enforce. They do not have the resources.

Reactions: Merlin23
How about an Interference Generator that can create a Force Field around Airliners? Or a ray gun for the copilot, like the Police use to zap an automobile's electronics and shut down its engine?? Just a thought

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78