DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The "creepy" feeling of being watched by a drone

Photo Booth

Reactions
A neighbor in our association recently got a Mavic Pro Platinum. He saw me flying mine in front of our house about a month ago, he stopped and we had a nice conversation about the Mavic's feature's, etc. About a week ago he told me he finally got one.

Three days later I'm out front talking to my neighbors across the street and I hear the sound of a Mavic overhead. At first it was about 100 feet up. I quickly realized it belonged to the neighbor up the street so I waved hello. That's when he dropped the altitude to maybe 30 feet and just hovered there, camera pointed at the four of us. After about 30 seconds of it hovering there I waved to him again and the Mavic flew away.

The next day I was washing my car in front of my house. Sure enough, here comes his Mavic again. He again dropped it to about 30 feet above the street and hovered there pointing the camera at me and what I was doing. I again waved and he flew off.

Even though I know this pilot, he wasn't standing near me at the time. His house is a quarter-mile away. I very much got that creepy feeling of being watched by a drone. It was just too close.

What this guy did is not something I'd EVER do. I would NEVER drop my Mavic to such a low altitude near people I'm not standing with at the time. When I fly around our neighborhood my Mavic is at a minimum altitude of 300 feet and more frequently clear up at 400 feet. It's just bad manners to fly so low, even above people you know.

I'm not mad at the guy. But I am disappointed. When we had our long conversation about the Mavic we also talked about drone etiquette and I emphasized I'm a big believer in following the AMA rules. He agreed those things sounded reasonable. But I get the feeling he hasn't bothered to spend much time reading and educating himself. I wonder if he's even registered himself with the FAA yet.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope it's simply a case of a new pilot that was anxious to show off his toy to a fellow done pilot and such low altitude visits won't happen anymore. And I sure as heck hope he's not doing the same thing anywhere else within our association.

I'm friends with our association president. I emailed her to let her know that we have at least one more drone pilot in the association (flying the same model drone as mine). If this guy is doing anything to make any other association members feel creepy I sure don't want them thinking it was me.

I will talk to him the next time I see him. I'll let him know that it feels creepy (even though I know him) and tell him I hope he's not doing the same thing anywhere else.

In the meantime, I think I better put a skin on my Mavic so my drone looks decidedly different than his.

Mark

Maybe the guy thought you would be the only person who would appreciate seeing another Mavic flying around. Filming someone standing around talking to neighbors will get old fast at any rate, as long as he doesn't start using it to spy into your bedroom windows or something, he will likely move onto more interesting targets. You definitely need to talk to him about it though.

I understand how u feel I stick to 75ft lowest , but I'm sure he's just excited to fly but still worried if he don't know the FFA rules he could lose his drone

As others have said, it's his new super toy that he's showing off.

He's effectively showing you that he's gone and bought one after your conversation.

Throw a rock at it next time and, when he comes fo pick the pieces up, say you forgot to mention that if you get too close to people with it, that's what will happen :)

Only joking......

Speak to him and tell him if he invades your privacy again, you'll throw a rock at it.

Reactions: NestleQuik
I’ve been through the same story as you. I was the only drone around for the last few years and then recently, there’s a few within my sight on weekends usually. One late afternoon, I heard a drone and I stepped off the porch to look up, and there it was hovering approximately 40-50’ up pointing right at me/yard hovering. It just sat there , started to do an arc, and then went up another 30-40’ and took off.
At that moment, I felt violated and told my wife about the situation. She just laughed it off and said “ now you know how it feels “. I don’t hover and stare at someone, let alone come down below 125’ around the neighborhood.
We just have to get used to it and tell ourselves that someone else is just enjoying themselves , but yes, it is creepy.

On a weird note, a week after that incident, I did get a notice from the city that I have too many trailers on my property. I have a privacy fence and I’m set over 400’ off the street and neighbors are friendly except one...
I have 13 enclosed car/equipment trailers and my 40’ motorhome parked in the rear yard. I live on an acre and have had these all here for over 7/8 years now and right after that weird drone hovering, I get this notice.
Coincidence? [emoji35]

Last edited:
I think he's just trying to indentify with another drone buddy, I have a fellow flyer a block away that will do this, just kind of a Hello, come fly buddy.
I would ask him if he is just showing off his drone to you, which to me is fine, drone guy to drone guy.
But, if he does the same to random people walking your neighbourhood, You had better educate him before he gets a rock in the lense!

I've posted before, I think this hobby is doomed for acts just like this - and there are many instances - not just this one. What is unfortunate is that new buyers do not research much - the rules, the NFZ's, privacy issues, so there is a 'group' that will buy, find out they can not fly many places, and then sell. Purchasing a DJI, or Autel, or other, drone, that is more than say $200 is crazy - for the first time drone owner. I had the, "I want a drone bug" for about 2 months. I like to take photos, I fly aerobatic RC Planes and Helicopters, it fit right-in with my hobbies. I researched this and found so many negative issues - reason's to not buy - but yet, I still wanted one. The short flight times of any drone under $300 was a deterrent - so I thought, "I'll just spend more money" - then I could get a 20 minute flight time (15 in reality at 5000+ feet) and then the reality kicked in, spending $700+ with all the new NFZ's, and city and county new laws against flying anywhere I would like to fly - so my decision process got harder and harder. I looked at buying used, and there are a ton out there, where these people learned they had to drive an hour + to fly without bothering people, or taking video of the same school yard over and over, was quite boring - and then so what with the video? Post it to YouTube where a few friends might look at it once. So, for sale it goes.. for the next person to buy, and the sellers don't want to take much of a loss, so they are still expensive, but someone can save $300 or so on a used drone. I'm finally over getting a drone phase. I'll keep flying my planes and helicopters and enjoying that sport. For those of your that use your drone in a professional capacity, great! a good tool. For someone that wants a new hobby, research carefully - I'd bet you may end up selling your drone - so at least buy used. The FEW will make it difficult for the Many. Think out 1-2-3 years, do you see it (areas to fly) getting better? or worse? do you see restrictions becoming less? or getting more ridged? Do you see people less concerned about their privacy, or more concerned? Do you see the high pitched noise a drone makes drawing more attention, or less? Throwing rocks at drones should tell you something! Do people care, you bet!

I've posted before, I think this hobby is doomed for acts just like this - and there are many instances - not just this one. What is unfortunate is that new buyers do not research much - the rules, the NFZ's, privacy issues, so there is a 'group' that will buy, find out they can not fly many places, and then sell. Purchasing a DJI, or Autel, or other, drone, that is more than say $200 is crazy - for the first time drone owner. I had the, "I want a drone bug" for about 2 months. I like to take photos, I fly aerobatic RC Planes and Helicopters, it fit right-in with my hobbies. I researched this and found so many negative issues - reason's to not buy - but yet, I still wanted one. The short flight times of any drone under $300 was a deterrent - so I thought, "I'll just spend more money" - then I could get a 20 minute flight time (15 in reality at 5000+ feet) and then the reality kicked in, spending $700+ with all the new NFZ's, and city and county new laws against flying anywhere I would like to fly - so my decision process got harder and harder. I looked at buying used, and there are a ton out there, where these people learned they had to drive an hour + to fly without bothering people, or taking video of the same school yard over and over, was quite boring - and then so what with the video? Post it to YouTube where a few friends might look at it once. So, for sale it goes.. for the next person to buy, and the sellers don't want to take much of a loss, so they are still expensive, but someone can save $300 or so on a used drone. I'm finally over getting a drone phase. I'll keep flying my planes and helicopters and enjoying that sport. For those of your that use your drone in a professional capacity, great! a good tool. For someone that wants a new hobby, research carefully - I'd bet you may end up selling your drone - so at least buy used. The FEW will make it difficult for the Many. Think out 1-2-3 years, do you see it (areas to fly) getting better? or worse? do you see restrictions becoming less? or getting more ridged? Do you see people less concerned about their privacy, or more concerned? Do you see the high pitched noise a drone makes drawing more attention, or less? Throwing rocks at drones should tell you something! Do people care, you bet!
We get it. Drones aren't for you. You have posted that over and over and over.

Obviously, most of the people in this forum, about drones, do not share that opinion.

to me having a drone is like everything else you own,if not used you still keep it,one of my computers cost @ 8k,i havent turned it on since the first of the year but wouldnt even consider selling it.

Wytnyt: I just nominated you for the next episode of ''Hoarders".... LOL.

I'm the same way, you never know when you'll need something. I may take up metal detecting again, hopefully the $1000 collection still works...

Wytnyt: I just nominated you for the next episode of ''Hoarders".... LOL.

I'm the same way, you never know when you'll need something. I may take up metal detecting again, hopefully the $1000 collection still works...
not hoarders but ''collectors'' ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661