DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
I think that's a pretty cool and fun experiment. I am always trying things with my drones, trucks, cars and boats.
My new drone is going to be a Chasing M2 w/claw attachment, and you can bet I am already planning on remote dropping heavy duty magnets and grappling hooks w/rope attached to recover sunken treasures...as well as modifying the claw's attachment point for a better field of view when capturing objects. I think your experiment shows vision and initiative...well done.
Thank you and thanks for the magnet idea. Im gonna try that.

Great job. Enjoyed the show - every challenge does not need a beneficial goal, JUST THE CHALLENGE.
Not to imply nothing was gained by your efforts!

Reactions: Akward59
I think that's a pretty cool and fun experiment. I am always trying things with my drones, trucks, cars and boats.
My new drone is going to be a Chasing M2 w/claw attachment, and you can bet I am already planning on remote dropping heavy duty magnets and grappling hooks w/rope attached to recover sunken treasures...as well as modifying the claw's attachment point for a better field of view when capturing objects. I think your experiment shows vision and initiative...well done.
And why not?
So put a eletric clippers on a drone and try to give hair cuts....why not

I was wondering if the turbulence from the ground was causing more swaying?
I think it more likely it's the prop wash from the upper drone. Even with the open grid-work on the landing deck it will cause a lot of turbulence for the lower drone.

Also, don't forget at 300 feet it's going to be a lot windier than at ground level. And should something go wrong your debris will be spread over a much larger area.

I think it more likely it's the prop wash from the upper drone. Even with the open grid-work on the landing deck it will cause a lot of turbulence for the lower drone.

Also, don't forget at 300 feet it's going to be a lot windier than at ground level. And should something go wrong your debris will be spread over a much larger area.
Those are both good points. The advantage is that the Q 500 mothership is very large and is only mildly affected by the airflow of the 249g Mini. I will definitely need to select the right day when winds are minimal for the 300' mid air landing.

And why would you even want to do this
I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I would want to do it precisely because it had never been done before.

But now that I've seen it, that particular motivation is gone. I admire the first demonstration, though.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to have a lot of practical use, but as long as it's done safely, why not? I would be concerned about the interaction of the downwashes of the two aircraft, so I'd want to be sure to keep distance between the drones and any humans.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I would want to do it precisely because it had never been done before.

But now that I've seen it, that particular motivation is gone. I admire the first demonstration, though.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to have a lot of practical use, but as long as it's done safely, why not? I would be concerned about the interaction of the downwashes of the two aircraft, so I'd want to be sure to keep distance between the drones and any humans.
Great points. That Q500 is so dangerous. I tell my daugher "stay the hell away from that thing"

Reactions: Rich QR
Of course you could ... but it wouldn't be legal. The legal 400 foot limit is referenced to ground, not takeoff point.
I was being partially felicitous, but it does bring up a potential loophole to be honest And made me wonder.

The 400 ceiling is not agl, it’s related to your takeoff point (which usually is all, but not always). If you go to the roof of a 400 ft building and take off, you’re allowed to go up to 800ft, and you must then remain 400ft max away from other buildings or the ground. So if the building is the only building in the area and you travel 400ft horizontally away from the building, then you have to descend to 400ft agl.

Likewise with full size aircraft, they must remain minimum 500ft from other objects, so flying over the same location they could come no lower than 900ft agl

I was being partially felicitous, but it does bring up a potential loophole to be honest And made me wonder.

The 400 ceiling is not agl, it’s related to your takeoff point (which usually is all, but not always). If you go to the roof of a 400 ft building and take off, you’re allowed to go up to 800ft, and you must then remain 400ft max away from other buildings or the ground. So if the building is the only building in the area and you travel 400ft horizontally away from the building, then you have to descend to 400ft agl.

Likewise with full size aircraft, they must remain minimum 500ft from other objects, so flying over the same location they could come no lower than 900ft agl
No worries Pilot. There are grey areas in that law. If you took off next to a 10 foot hill and went up 400 feet and I walked up the hill right next to you and went up 400 feet. I would be 10 feet higher than you and legal yet if you came up to my altitude you would be breaking the law. It's not a perfect rule.

Cool project! Love these challenging projects.

No worries Pilot. There are grey areas in that law. If you took off next to a 10 foot hill and went up 400 feet and I walked up the hill right next to you and went up 400 feet. I would be 10 feet higher than you and legal yet if you came up to my altitude you would be breaking the law. It's not a perfect rule.
No, that's not how the law is written.

If flying recreationally, you are limited to 400' AGL. That's four hundred feet above the ground that you're currently flying over. In other words, if you had an imaginary 400' long string hanging straight down, it's got to at least reach the ground at all times.

If you have a Part 107 license and are flying under Part 107 rules, you can fly up to 400' above the top point of a structure that is within 400 feet of your drone. So if you're inspecting a 900' tall tower, you can go up to 1300' above the ground.

The rules never measure your altitude from your takeoff point, even though the altitude above takeoff point is what DJI displays to you. It's always up to you to convert to the relevant altitude.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet