DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone options

You don't want my advice....
I have a Phantom 1, Phantom 2, Phantom 3, Mini, and Mini 2 sitting on my shelf. Not to mention a handful of Blade, 3DR and Yuneec drones.
I hate the hassle of selling too.
It's good, I understand. Some things I keep long term like tools, some I dont like electronics. I have a 15 year old Nikon DSLR that I kept. It still works like it did new but things have changed a lot so it's not really relevant any longer. Should have sold it long ago for a newer model but it's fine. I understand though.

Reactions: Torque
Thank you for the replies. Plenty to think about. I will sell the M3 Classic for sure and might also sell the Mini but I will think about that as the day goes by. I cant think of a time I would pick the Mini over the M3 other than lighter travel
Hyperlapses? That long flight time with the extended battery on the Mini3P can't be matched. That's one of the biggest reasons I have a Mini3P, the other reason being size and weight for traveling, especially day trips.

The smallest footprint decent drone I've ever had and was using for day tripping was my Mavic Air 1, with it's drone-size (folded) case, and wifi control direct from my phone. As well as the severely-pummled hand gestures, which I use.

The camera's pretty dated at this point, and the case for my Mini3P + DJI RC is pretty small, so I haven't used the MA1 since I got the Mini3P.

I wish they'd kept up the direct wifi phone control with O3 from the remote, and hand gesture control, at least in the flagship of the mini class. I completely understand why they didn't, but for those of us that discovered the niche this fits in, they're great features.

Sadly, not to enough people.

It's good, I understand. Some things I keep long term like tools, some I dont like electronics. I have a 15 year old Nikon DSLR that I kept. It still works like it did new but things have changed a lot so it's not really relevant any longer. Should have sold it long ago for a newer model but it's fine. I understand though.
That is so rough and costly. I am constantly bombarded with the latest and greatest of this, that, and the other. You're Nikon is a great example. I bought a Z6. Now there's a Z6II, Z7II, Z9, and in a few days a Z8. All the software and plugs are constantly releasing a new version. It's just nuts. So much software is going to subscription. Even plugins like waves plugs for audio. A constant drain on the wallet.

I totally get where you're coming from, @SmilingOgre, but what reality would you have instead, one where innovation and technological progress stopped?

It's frustrating, but it's also what we want. I for one don't want the new features and capabilities to stop coming in software updates, nor the same in new hardware realized through new models.

It's not like someone can develop The Ultimate Drone that ends the need for further innovation and R&D.

Perfect example: I was quite happy flying my FPV and Avata with the goggles V2 and the MC. Then some bright engineer at DJI took customer feedback, the ideas of fellow engineers, and her own creativity and we got the MC2. Now I gotta get one.

Mavic 3 Pro. I wasn't going to get a Mavic 3. Couldn't justify the cost. Enter the Mavic 3 Pro, that tips me over the edge. Since it's already compatible with the DJI RC, I'll wait until I can get just the aircraft from either DJI or Rotorlogic. But now I'm gonna get one.

Last edited:
I totally get where you're coming from, @Torque, but what reality would you have instead, one where innovation and technological progress stopped?
Was this comment meant for another member?

I look forward to new innovation and technology and would love to hasten its advance!
I welcome and download each FW update on release, never had a problem. And new technology is why I own so many drones! LOL. I think the Mavic 3 is the only one that wasn't purchased on release - otherwise I've always been an early adopter for most technologies.

You don't want my advice....
I have a Phantom 1, Phantom 2, Phantom 3, Mini, and Mini 2 sitting on my shelf. Not to mention a handful of Blade, 3DR and Yuneec drones.
I hate the hassle of selling too.
What??? You never got that GoPro version for your collection?

Let me ask you guys a general question. I know it's up to me, my preferences, my use cases but I would like to hear some thoughts.
I have the Mini 3 Pro, Mavic 3 Classic, and the Avata. I like each of them for different reasons. I have ordered the Mavic 3 Pro.
Now, I could keep all 4 but realistically I cant say I will make full use of all 4.

Here is where I am looking for thoughts. Knowing what I have available what would you do? Keep in mind I really should sell at least 1, maybe 2. Dont have to, I could get by, but really I'm not going to get the full use from each. This is currently just a hobby even though I have a license.

I have 3 options in mind but dont want to direct the discussion so I will share as I go if anyone cares to share input.
The most obvious would be the Mavic 3 classic right? The money from that would help buy the Mavic 3 Pro.

Unless you plan to do a lot of telephoto work with the new Mavic 3 Pro, the Classic would suffice.

The Phantom 1 used the GoPro, and I think the Phantom 2 did as well?
You miss understood my question. Since you have so many different drones, the only one that seems to be missing from your collection is the Karma drone. GoPro made it for just a few months, then it died a quiet death somewhere, never to be heard from again. I did not mean the camera from GoPro.

The most obvious would be the Mavic 3 classic right? The money from that would help buy the Mavic 3 Pro.

Unless you plan to do a lot of telephoto work with the new Mavic 3 Pro, the Classic would suffice.
Thats what I was thinking but the math is troubling at the moment. $1749 for the drone, $159 for the filters, plus tax you're at about $2100. (rough math). Current selling price on eBay is about $1500 to $1549 and I found some for less. Then you give eBay 15-18% of the sale and pay to ship it. You might recover $1200-1300. Its not nothing but man, for the loss you might as well keep it and use it from time to time until it becomes irrelevant which should be at least 4-5 years, maybe more. I dont need the extra drone but also dont want to give up the money spent so easy. The best answer is dont buy the Pro but thats not going to be the final answer.

So far as telephoto work, I dont plan to do a ton but there is no way to replicate the longer 70mm or 166mm focal length. It's not about the size of the object in the image but the effect the longer lens gives you. I went with the Classic because I didn't see much use in the 7X lens on the M3 but this new lens and the updated longer lens is a really nice addition. Thanks for the input.

@TwoSticks, you're allowing emotions to get in the way of rational economics... we all do. Here's a different way of looking at it.

When you bought it, the Classic was worth to you what you paid for it. There was no Pro.

When you ordered the Pro, the Classic effectively became worth $0 to you. It represents no additional value to you once you have the Pro. When you're going to fly a mission, what serious reason are going to grab the Classic instead of the Pro? There are vanishingly few corner cases (I can't think of any, but my lack of imagination doesn't mean there aren't).

So vesting any value – to you – in the Classic is purely emotional. The only value it has is recouping some of your investment by selling it. And the sooner the better, as used prices decline.

People always make the mistake of focusing on what they "lost" selling less than they invested, when in fact you've gained. You did fly it, didn't you? You got some value for your investment, so nothing was lost.

There are no absolutes in any of this. Was the difference between what you paid and what you recoup worth it? Well, early adopter, got some great imagery, had fun flying, who can say but you?

The worst thing you can do is delay selling it and lose more value as a product for sale, because sitting on your shelf it's basically worth nothing with the Pro next to it.

Reactions: TwoSticks
You miss understood my question. Since you have so many different drones, the only one that seems to be missing from your collection is the Karma drone. GoPro made it for just a few months, then it died a quiet death somewhere, never to be heard from again. I did not mean the camera from GoPro.
LOL, I did misunderstand. I had forgotten about the Karma Drone!

I would agree with your decision to sell the Classic. I would keep the Mini as it is great for travel. The Mavic 3 Pro is a big bird and not so easy to travel with like the mini is. I would keep it, for sure.

Reactions: TwoSticks
Let me ask you guys a general question. I know it's up to me, my preferences, my use cases but I would like to hear some thoughts.
Lets see. Thats a really tough spot to be in, No doubt about it. You seem to be handling it well under the circumstances but if things get worse You can see if your city or even state has affordable counseling.

Im just kidding, You have alot to be thankful for, I imagine. Im sure youve got a favorite or one you enjoy flying more. Just dont let em know which one it is. They probably know anyway so which ever is your least favorite, Tell him its his fault
lol, Thanks for putting up with my silliness.
Oh, and if ya need a good home for one of em, I have a big fenced in property in the countryside so they wont be getting into traffic or fall in with the wrong crowd. Just Acre after Acre to run freely

Lets see. Thats a really tough spot to be in, No doubt about it. You seem to be handling it well under the circumstances but if things get worse You can see if your city or even state has affordable counseling.

Im just kidding, You have alot to be thankful for, I imagine. Im sure youve got a favorite or one you enjoy flying more. Just dont let em know which one it is. They probably know anyway so which ever is your least favorite, Tell him its his fault
lol, Thanks for putting up with my silliness.
Oh, and if ya need a good home for one of em, I have a big fenced in property in the countryside so they wont be getting into traffic or fall in with the wrong crowd. Just Acre after Acre to run freely
Appreciate the offer to look out for one. Ha. I sold the M3 Classic and ship it today, the M3 Pro will be here when it gets here and my Mini will still be my primary for travel when I fly. If I drive, they all go. Including the Avata though I still have some difficulty using that at times. It’s so loud and flown close to the ground, some places I feel bad for others that have to hear it but I love flying it. Thanks for the reply.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa