DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DRONE PARACHUTE DROP DEMONSTRATION

During our group meet and eat, was able to capture a Yuneec Typhoon H dropping 3 little parachute dudes remotely. Using an Insta360 one X mounted on a M2Z. Flying M2Z FPV with Moverio BT-300.

Any GPS issues with the Insta360 One X mounted on top like that? I had read of another reviewer who kept losing GPS because of it mounted on top of the Mavic 2. If not, I'm getting one! Did you need to trim or cut back the snap-on tripod mount? Looks narrower than mine.

Yes there is a drop in the GPS signal but not enough to prevent the Mavic 2 from flying. Once in the air the signal gets stronger. No mod need on the mount, snaps in place and I can lift the Mavic with the camera. You will get a warning about shorter flight time with the added weight.

Yes there is a drop in the GPS signal but not enough to prevent the Mavic 2 from flying. Once in the air the signal gets stronger. No mod need on the mount, snaps in place and I can lift the Mavic with the camera. You will get a warning about shorter flight time with the added weight.
Cool! It appears you may need ATTI mode skills, which is fine, if you are aware of the issue, and in an open area for such a parachute drop. Hanging it below requires turning off VPS, as it interferes with the downward facing sensors. Insta360.com now makes their own Mavic 2 kit for mounting the Insta360 One X, which comes with both warnings, depending upon whether you want to mount it above or below.

99C21751-35C4-4FCB-9F9B-EDA7DBCB6DB7.png

Reactions: Tombo987
Now I'm curious, will a forward mount (Insta360 mount between the front arms in front of power button - what I have right now) have more or less impact on GPS signal strength than battery mount (Insta360 above the battery, behind the power button). Will it make a difference at all, need to find out...

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Now I'm curious, will a forward mount (Insta360 mount between the front arms in front of power button - what I have right now) have more or less impact on GPS signal strength than battery mount (Insta360 above the battery, behind the power button). Will it make a difference at all, need to find out...
Eager to hear your findings. However, I would be very careful about mounting it further back because of the shifting of the Insta360 One X weight away from the predetermined center of gravity, also used on the M2E for all its attachments. Could create an unstable aircraft that only wants to fly backwards.

Reactions: Tombo987
I'm hoping the DJI Mavic GPS system will hold it from drifting, it holds pretty good in windy conditions. My 6" drone was able to carry the same Insta360 and do some flips and rolls, looked like it was holding up an Iphone X. My thought initially was on the first 1/2 flip the CG would confuse the gyro, get stuck upside down, not finish the flip thinking it was already level and crash straight down...thank god that was not the case.

I'm hoping the DJI Mavic GPS system will hold it from drifting, it holds pretty good in windy conditions. My 6" drone was able to carry the same Insta360 and do some flips and rolls, looked like it was holding up an Iphone X. My thought initially was on the first 1/2 flip the CG would confuse the gyro, get stuck upside down, not finish the flip thinking it was already level and crash straight down...thank god that was not the case.
Let's hope the tail weight itself isn't an issue, as the reason for moving it to the tail is to regain the satellites lost mounting it over the GPS sensor. M2 is really stable and able to recover from crashes and bird strikes before hitting the ground, so what's a little Insta360 One X stuck onto its tail! Keep us posted!

Tested two mounts for the INSTA360 CAM and how it affects the GPS signal - PGYTECH mounts just in front of the battery and SUNNYLIFE mounts on top of the battery. Used both mounts back to back and flew a quick 10min / 200 ft trip around the RC field and looked at the flight logs. SUNNYLIFE had a stronger GPS signal.

On take off SL started with 14 GPS Count / 5 GPS Level and PGY 12 / 4. During the flight lowest and highest GPS count - SL 11-17 SATs, PGY 9-17. Overall SL had a better SAT GPS count during the flight, I think mounting above the battery is better than in front of it, maybe that’s where the GPS receiver is but I thought the GPS was in the rear section behind the battery...

I like how easy it is to mount the PGY, it just clips on. The SL mount clips on the battery and a strap goes around the body. A little bit of a pain to strap on and off but a bump on the camera (ninja branch, bird strike) will not knock it off like it could with the PGY mount. With both mounts I get a warning about extra weight detected and flight time reduce but other than that they both fly the same, no balance issue or extra vibration noticed.image2.jpegimage1.jpeg

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman