Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25-50

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • 50-75

Votes: 78 66.7%
  • 75 and up

Votes: 18 15.4%

• Total voters
It is seriously ironic that I was actually talking about this very topic at dinner last night.

At some point I concluded scuba diving is very similar to droning as it requires money, travel and always pushing into the current if you want to be successful and really enjoy it.
I've always been into motocross and mountain snowmobiling, but after a recent spinal surgery the vet tells me I gotta give it all up or risk paralysis if I land on my head one more time. So now my kids get to take over my motorized toys, and I have to move on to something a little less dangerous. My wife was hoping I'd find something a little cheaper to get into, but I've been disappointing her for years...why stop now lol.

I guess I’m in the young minority that loves this hobby.
I don't actually know anyone IRL that has one, young or old. And I've been asking around. I'll undoubtedly convince at least two people to get them but they will probably crash and it will be over quick...lol

Reactions: adam3112
I've always been into motocross and mountain snowmobiling, but after a recent spinal surgery the vet tells me I gotta give it all up or risk paralysis if I land on my head one more time. So now my kids get to take over my motorized toys, and I have to move on to something a little less dangerous. My wife was hoping I'd find something a little cheaper to get into, but I've been disappointing her for years...why stop now lol.

LMAO!! Mine have been collecting dust for about 10 years now. I should probably thank my local government for closing literally all the places we ever took 4x4's, quads and dirtbikes in South Florida! I haven't had to work with cracked ribs or a swollen knee in at least a decade now. ;)

Reactions: Gagey52 and teeroy
61 soon and retired. I've been into film and digital photography for 20+ years with some really nice equipment, but the last few years I have been wanting a drone (started with the arrival of DJI drones). Mine is now under the Christmas tree (Mavic Air 2). The wife always said 'What are you going to do with a drone?'. Now that I will have the free time I'll be able to go out and hopefully make some very nice videos.....

I don't actually know anyone IRL that has one, young or old. And I've been asking around. I'll undoubtedly convince at least two people to get them but they will probably crash and it will be over quick...lol
I sold my mavic mini to my good friend when I ordered the mini 2. Was hoping to have a drone buddy to talk to and fly with. He crashed and wrecked it in less than a week, well before my mini 2 arrived. Now he's waiting to get it back, thankfully I had purchased the refresh and it was still within the time period.

Reactions: JackL
I'm 30 and looked at it as an investment, a tool, rather than a toy.

Most people my age definitely do not agree with that assessment.

Also, I've got a very high IQ, something that seems to be lacking in most of the younger generation. Not trying to toot my own horn, but when I tell "20-somethings" that I'm 5 points from Mensa and get met with a response such as, "what's Mensa?"... It doesn't bode well for our future.

Sorry, my rant is over now.

Back to the topic.

I, personally, enjoy the age demographic of this forum. There are younger people who can do all the crazy stuff the older folks want to see but don't want to risk... And the older (read: wiser, more experienced) folks can give insight and wisdom to the younger ones. It goes like this, 20 year old guy flies 5 miles away, gets a disconnect and "loses" his drone. Guy comes here to post logs, complaining that it was DJI fault (or maybe not), somebody like Meta4, Slup, Sar104, PhiliusFrogg, Budwalker or Boblui chime in and explain not only the WHY and HOW, but sometimes can even go as far as to export a JPEG of the XML file so the inexperienced (read: younger) pilot can possibly find his drone.

This place is great, the age demographic is great.

The kids can all go stick to Reddit, IG or FB... I'm fine with it ?
They are not familiar with Mensa because their heads are a Densa...LOL.
Just kidding. I think older people try and fix/figure out things more than younger people.
We are living in a society where it is often cheaper to buy another that fix the original.
Just a little side note, itsneedtokno, milk, soda and beer used to come in glass bottles and were returned to be sterilized and reused. They were also delivered to the home. Funny how things come full circle for one reason or another.
Glad you are here and hope to see you contributing too.

We are living in a society where it is often cheaper to buy another that fix the original.
That's an interesting point. At least with a premium brand phone you can put a protective case on it and any subsequent loss or damage is entirely down to you, but spending the same amount on something that might fly away or crash at the drop of a hat all on its own? Yeah, I can see how that might not be so appealing if you lack the tools and skill set to repair it yourself and/or may not have the necessary funds for any replacement or third party repairs.

Reactions: Gagey52
I was 10 when they landed on the moon. NASA was burned into my young mind. So I've always been into flight...made the plastic warbird models and did the .049 fixed line back in the day. But I've also always been an avid photographer. Got into video back in the 70's but still photography has always been my thing. When a buddy of mine who was in his 70's said he had a drone, I said there was no way I'd buy one. That was until he showed me and let me fly his Phantom P3P. Even though I'm into fixed wing aircraft (my main hobby), I was amazed with his pictures and how easy it was to operate. Had to have me one of them floatin cameras.

The app for this site doesn't display the polls. It also seems to repeat topics in the timeline.

My dad got me into drones. First he got me the Syma X5C for Christmas, though I already had in mind getting a cheap drone after Christmas, especially if I received an Amazon gift card.

The following year before Thanksgiving he shows me a review of the Mavic 1 that had just come out. I thought "nice" but figured that's just too expensive for me. He lured me into researching what something similar in an older model would cost, where we came across a great package deal for the P3A. That became my Christmas present for that year.

Now that I was hooked on more expensive but more capable drones, a few years later I'm considering upgrading to something newer in DJI but moderately priced. Was debating on Spark or Air. But then the Mavic 2 had just come out, so I decided to splurge and get the Zoom.

Then last year the Mini came out. I was able to give advice for it here based on my common knowledge of DJI models in general and with the Fly app installed. However there were enough what ifs that could only be determined with first hand experience so I bought it.

Reactions: NG Wildman
So I've wondered: Are younger people so much less likely to own drones, or are they simply less likely to participate in fora such as this? Some of both?
Both.
I follow many tech-related communities and older guys are always a significant part of the membership.
Thing is, people in their 20-40s tend to be studying hard, then working hard, then settling up, then dealing with noisy expensive and time consuming things that take 9 months to make, none of which leaves them neither a lot of money to just splurge on a random expensive accessory they don't really have a purpose for nor time to lose on forums. Once the noisy things have grown up and moved away things get calmer, expenses go down, pay is usually better by then as well, and there you go, time to get cool toys, play with them and hang out on forums.

Those in that age group that have drones are mostly either getting them as a tool for business use and don't spend more time than needed for troubleshooting on forums, or people who don't care for the whole "settling and noisy things" side of things and thus don't have to set aside time and money for that.

I happen to like PC tech and builds as well, and there it's funny to see that the curve mirrors - there's the older guys, but also all the kids who want to play games and interact with people after school. Makes for interesting discussions when the majority of people answering questions are either older guys who didn't really "get it" but think they did and 14 year old kids who have no idea but are certain they got everything nailed down...

I came into the DJI world because I like flying things and I love photography/videography. I just never knew I would be able to do them together. In high school, my Dad gave me a gas-powered plane on a tether. Does anyone remember Cox? It was a Stuka dive bomber, the one with the bomb that you could drop. So you would have an hour trying to get the engine to start, followed by 20 minutes of flying in a circle.

As it turned out, induced vertigo was which I didn't really care for. A friend of mine did R/C planes and taught me how to fly them. I still feel bad for cracking up four of his airframes. But I think he liked building them more than flying them.

Decades later, I was at a software conference and for entertainment, a local drone company had setup shop in one of the dining rooms (Vegas hotels have warehouse-sized dining rooms). They had an area where you could fly drones over an obstacle course. I think I spent an hour getting various drones tangled up in the protective netting. but I was hooked.

When I got home, I bought a cheap $50 drone to learn how to fly. It was an indoor-only drone, which I discovered when I took it outside. I took it to the local high school and chewed through a few batteries to get a feel for it. Just as I had it almost figured out, a wind stronger than what the drone could handle came along. Which basically meant a breeze. A gust blew it to about 50 ft, which turns out to be the limit of its range. It then took off, never to be seen again. I think I got a month out of it.

But I was still hooked. I bought a Phantom 3 S. The cheap seats for a Phantom. I had a lot of fun with that bird. If I had known any better, I would have bought a better model, that wi-fi connection between the phone and RC caused way too much grief. I bought the usual accessories, batteries, filters, range extender on the RC, etc.

I've been into photography since before I was old enough to buy film. After going all-in on digital, video became the 2nd hobby. And then video became the hobby that could pay for the other toys.

Almost a year ago, I bought a Mavic 2 Pro. For me, that one has been the sweet spot for drones. It's the right size, decent lens, decent range. The P3S still works, just gathering dust at the moment. My oldest daughter (20) will take it when the weather gets warmer. I'm at an age and income where I can spend a few bucks on toys. And my daughter gets to enjoy my hand me downs.

I'm 30 and looked at it as an investment, a tool, rather than a toy.

Most people my age definitely do not agree with that assessment.

Also, I've got a very high IQ, something that seems to be lacking in most of the younger generation. Not trying to toot my own horn, but when I tell "20-somethings" that I'm 5 points from Mensa and get met with a response such as, "what's Mensa?"... It doesn't bode well for our future.

Sorry, my rant is over now.

Back to the topic.

I, personally, enjoy the age demographic of this forum. There are younger people who can do all the crazy stuff the older folks want to see but don't want to risk... And the older (read: wiser, more experienced) folks can give insight and wisdom to the younger ones. It goes like this, 20 year old guy flies 5 miles away, gets a disconnect and "loses" his drone. Guy comes here to post logs, complaining that it was DJI fault (or maybe not), somebody like Meta4, Slup, Sar104, PhiliusFrogg, Budwalker or Boblui chime in and explain not only the WHY and HOW, but sometimes can even go as far as to export a JPEG of the XML file so the inexperienced (read: younger) pilot can possibly find his drone.

This place is great, the age demographic is great.

The kids can all go stick to Reddit, IG or FB... I'm fine with it ?

'What is Mensa'.... I had to laugh! It says it all. They will know which celebrity is shacked up with who though. I have never heard of most of these 'celebrities'.

'What is Mensa'.... I had to laugh! It says it all. They will know which celebrity is shacked up with who though. I have never heard of most of these 'celebrities'.
Celebrity is a broad term for anyone these days that does something incredibly crude, stupid or derivative of true performers and celebrities of old...no talent required...LOL.

It is seriously ironic that I was actually talking about this very topic at dinner last night.

At some point I concluded scuba diving is very similar to droning as it requires money, travel and always pushing into the current if you want to be successful and really enjoy it.
Money yes, not sure on the travel, I've never left my property with it.

Reactions: JackL and DHAirbus
So I thought I posted in this early on but I guess I did not, looks like I'm in the popular age for a drone. And I agree with those that think time and money has a bit to do with it, I sure don't remember having the time when I was younger, but then again I don't remember a lot of things anymore! ?

mensa?? I guess I'm densa!

.....think time and money has a bit to do with it,....

mensa?? I guess I'm densa! Who cares

No work-time constraints
My CEO wants me to do something around the house/garden;)
Time (& money) has a lot to do with it. Thumbswayup

Reactions: A.O.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1