DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Privacy - Is it ok to fly over peoples houses (UK)

jontracey

Reactions
In a follow up to my video earlier this week, I created a video on the section 4 of the drone code, specifically to answer the question is it ok to fly over peoples houses. Love to get your feedback.

ps. even kept it under 2.5 minutes for the reddit crowd as their attention spans are not the best :)

Reactions: gremlin16
Interesting point. I had actually taken it to mean no over fly. Having watched your video and looked at the diagram, I'm inclined to agree.

Disclaimer: my experience level - owned a drone for 5 days :)

Technically you shouldn't unless they agree.
In practice quickly passing over at some height is unlikely to be a problem.
Hovering close by even if recording the other way is likely to arouse suspicion if not hostility.
It would feel a bit worrying if you saw someone else apparently recording your house deliberately - though if it were an attractive building it probably gets photographed often anyway.

Technically you shouldn't unless they agree.
In practice quickly passing over at some height is unlikely to be a problem.
Hovering close by even if recording the other way is likely to arouse suspicion if not hostility.
It would feel a bit worrying if you saw someone else apparently recording your house deliberately - though if it were an attractive building it probably gets photographed often anyway.

Lets separate into two things, firstly I was trying to address the "are you allowed to do it" and from the information posted by CAA and NATS I think the answer is yes.

The "should" you do it, thats a different issue and open to everyone to debate, I agree we should be sensitive to others, don't upset people un-necessarily, and generally try to be a good citizen, so just because you are allowed to do something does not automatically mean you should on every occasion.

Reactions: gremlin16
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon