DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone recovered from lake will it still work

The floats look like a good idea. But even with the floats remember to fly about 3 or 4 meters (10 or so feet) above the water surface so as not to confuse the sensors.

If the mini has problems in mild wind with flight / progress / tilt etc, floats in any sort of wind is going to have to done with great care.
In all likelihood unless dead still, floats could cause to loss of a mini (or other models too) by blow away or some sort of gust / tilting issue.
Just looking at any wind around 10 to 15 km/hr hitting those pontoons side on.

Save the Rice for lunch and use something else like those silica bags you probably got lying about the house. There's a couple of them in the MM box isnt there?

Little coarse on the language but Louis does a good job getting the message across:

"This is food" LOL

No it doesn’t.

Rice actually performs poorly as a desiccant. Many things in your kitchen will outperform it by a significant margin.

This is one of most constantly repeated myths associated with electronics and mishaps with water.
Many things in your kitchen will outperform it? Such as...?

Couscous and oatmeal- not by an insignificant margin either.

Uncooked rice is actually a really poor performer. Open air will be a bette option than burying the subject device in rice.

Agreed. My son worked at a cell store part time during his college days, they told him on day one to never suggest rice. Silica pads were always suggested in emergencies.

When I asked him this morning about this he asked me how many times I bought something that had packets of rice instead of silica packets stuffed inside. None that I can remember in the 51 years on this planet.

This is just another’s perspective, YMMV.

Couscous and oatmeal- not by an insignificant margin either.

Uncooked rice is actually a really poor performer. Open air will be a bette option than burying the subject device in rice.

I guess you don’t live in SEA, where humidity rarely drops below 85% in the open air.

Several of my friends manage backpack/luggage factories...North Face, Crumpler, Think Tank, and Lowepro, to name a few. They give me silica gel by the barrel. The problem is that it works TOO well, and becomes inactive well before an electronic device has lost its moisture (unless opened). A big bag of rice works best, at least here. :)

I guess you don’t live in SEA, where humidity rarely drops below 85% in the open air.

Several of my friends manage backpack/luggage factories...North Face, Crumpler, Think Tank, and Lowepro, to name a few. They give me silica gel by the barrel. The problem is that it works TOO well, and becomes inactive well before an electronic device has lost its moisture (unless opened). A big bag of rice works best, at least here. :)
It doesn't- simply because it can't. Leaving the subject device in an area with good airflow will be far superior than burying it in rice. This is simple fact that you might easily verify for yourself if you were interested.

I am interested, only wanted to share my longtime experience using both dessicants. I receive help requests from ppl who have damaged or sunk their drones. Silica gel, rice, electronic component spray have all worked. WD-40 has also done some miracle work too!

Cheers

Has anyone experience of floats that attach to the Mavic mini ? They look like two round poles made of foam plastic. Do they work? do they destabilize ? do they affect handling in wind?

I have tested a set just like another poster. I found that in normal use, the power consumed is about twice normal and I got a lot of ESC warnings, especially when hovering aside the wind. Other than that, the Mini performed pretty much normally. Wind was about 10 knots. By the way, the needed amount of zero-weight flotation is about 15 cubic inches worst case. The pontoon set has about twice that amount, so it may be overkill if used just for survival and not landing on the water.

Edit: I forgot about one anomaly that may be due to the pontoons being attached. In this video, see the drone swing sharply right and back left again. No controller action was indicated in the log file, so I assume that I did not accidentally cause this.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman