DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone strikes jet.

Where are the drone parts? Like broken blades, plastic parts left behind? Have you seen the damage when a Segal meets a plane? The damage is also large.
Seagull ...... dont you just hate spell check on these devices?
I do

Whatever it was (and they have not released any further findings yet) did internal damage to the Wx array. Most likely if it was a sUAS there will be some fragments left inside and hopefully something with a serial #.

Wx_ArrayDamage_Dec2018.jpg

Loud Bang

IF, if this is proven to be a drone you will never hear the end of it. If it's proven to be something else you will never hear about it again. Anybody noticing a pattern here.

Reactions: JDawg
Reactions: BigAl07
Hi
Unidentified Flying Object UFO where common in the 1960's. I'll say brings them back and leave the drones alone!. :)
Oh no! ... next we'll be accused of cattle mutilation and abductions ...

Reactions: Prmath and sar104
It's deja vu, all over again.

Mozambique Incident Did NOT Involve a Drone

Consider the odds of a drone occupying the exact same 4-dimensional space as the plane's radome. Dead-on. Not even a little bit off (it would have left marks on other parts of the plane).

And it should be "jet strikes drone," considering the difference in airspeed.

It's deja vu, all over again.

Mozambique Incident Did NOT Involve a Drone

Consider the odds of a drone occupying the exact same 4-dimensional space as the plane's radome. Dead-on. Not even a little bit off (it would have left marks on other parts of the plane).

And it should be "jet strikes drone," considering the difference in airspeed.
The 'Mozambique incident' may not have been a drone, but the original pictures in this post of the damage to the Boeing were definitely different to Mozambique - and much more like you'd expect from a heavy and non bird-like object striking the nose of the aircraft. The very fact that 'something' penetrated the Radome and damaged the antenna, means that it had to be something quite 'dense' to do that. A bird would deform the Radome and bounce off with nothing going through to the antenna - but a battery pack of a Mavic alone could do the damage we see here ...

Odds are odds - they don't come into it ... Somebody you know, or even you - will win a lottery. With the number of drones and the number of airliners in the air now, there will be incidents. The ONLY way to stop this is to fly in a way where you are not going to get in the way of each other. This Boeing was hit on final approach - ANYBODY flying a drone in an airport approach flight-path deserves to be put in jail and the key thrown away. We know it happens, but it's our choice to say "The pilot just hit a plastic bag!" - or we could be responsible and say "Well yes - it could have been a drone, and this is what I'm going to do to make sure it's not my drone next time!" ...

As with so many incidents like this - it does no good to deny it being a drone strike! What are we going to do to make sure that there are no drone strikes??

I worked the flight line in the Air Force and saw many bird strikes on fighters. Not a pretty sight.
And....... if it happens to be a buzzard, the smell is hard to describe...... after all, you know what they consume

Birds can go through a radome
Agreed @Bobby Brown - but my point was that the Boeing was on approach, so travelling at a lower speed and nose up ...
You'd know better than me, but were the fighters you've seen, struck on landing approach, or low-level cross-country runs??
The photo's show impact dents that appear to be caused by solid objects rather than bags of blood and bone - and considering that there was penetration through onto the Radar antenna, if it was a bird-strike, I'd sure expect to see some blood on the antenna ...

Agreed @Bobby Brown - but my point was that the Boeing was on approach, so travelling at a lower speed and nose up ...
You'd know better than me, but were the fighters you've seen, struck on landing approach, or low-level cross-country runs??
The photo's show impact dents that appear to be caused by solid objects rather than bags of blood and bone - and considering that there was penetration through onto the Radar antenna, if it was a bird-strike, I'd sure expect to see some blood on the antenna ...

It clearly wasn't a bird strike - that always leaves an obvious mess. The question is still whether it was struck by anything, or whether structural failure of the dome led to the dome material being driven inwards and damaging the antenna.

It clearly wasn't a bird strike - that always leaves an obvious mess. The question is still whether it was struck by anything, or whether structural failure of the dome led to the dome material being driven inwards and damaging the antenna.
Possibility yes ... I'm wondering if somebody opened up the Radome, without being prepared to catch the bits falling out. There has been something got through, so you'd think that there would be some 'bits' somewhere in there that would identify what it was that did the damage??? If all that's in there were bits of the inside of the Radome, then that might reduce the scope of possible causes.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147