DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone trackers

minipro3

Reactions
Someone gave me a couple Apple AirTags and I was thinking of putting one on my drone. Has anyone used an AirTag on their drone ?

Try a search on YouTube, lots of FPV guys have tested to see if it can help find your drone nearby, or further afield.

Here's a search I just did on YouTube for > drone airtag <

One of my favourite tests was done by the rotor riot crew, it also covers a comparo test of the Airtag to the ViFly Finder II . . .

Worthless outside of Bluetooth range with someone who has the app turned on.

Basically, and then the button battery eventually depletes.

I like the ARC XL benefits of bright white strobing AND the audible alarm activated by lack of movement after 4 minutes.

The trouble with it is size and weight, especially for smaller drones.

Reactions: minipro3
It all depends upon where you think you might lose your drone. If you were out in the wilderness, an AirTag’s limited range will not be much help. I would suggest a Marco Polo in that case. But if most of your flying is in populated areas, the AirTag’s capability is terrific. As long as somebody with an iPhone, or iPad or Mac goes anywhere near it, you’ll be able to find it. And, if somebody finds it, picks it up and takes it with them, you would likely be able to track them if they have an iPhone or if they walk or drive anywhere near someone who has one. We put an AirTag in a car we shipped, and we were able to follow it up I-95 all the way from Florida to Long Island. I don’t know whether the truck driver had an iPhone or whether motorists passing the truck provided the connection, but it worked great. I have an AirTag hidden in my drone case just in case it goes missing.

If I were to mount an AirTag on my mini3 Pro, could I mount it on top of drone, or would it have to be on battery ?
You might want to pick a spot to mount it that is available even when the drone is folded. That way you won’t have to remove it every time you pack up. (And, of course, that will put it over 250 grams if that matters to you.)

Someone gave me a couple Apple AirTags and I was thinking of putting one on my drone. Has anyone used an AirTag on their drone ?
AirTags have a range of 10 meters (30-33 ft) from an iPhone. If you lost your drone at the mall, it would help you locate it. You would have other problems by flying a drone at the mall, but it would work.

If you lost your drone in a field, 10 meters is nothing. It would be useful if someone walked off with it. but they would just rip the AirTag off.

Maybe using 'find my drone' can get one in the 'ballpark' range and an airtag can hone in from there.
It's better than nothing I guess.
'Find my drone' is not perfect, but as long as it went down with connection, it should get you very close.

I've never used 'find my drone', but shamefully should have at least tested it a few times in controlled circumstances to see how it functions real life.
Next time at the park.

Reactions: Drbobk
Maybe using 'find my drone' can get one in the 'ballpark' range and an airtag can hone in from there.
It's better than nothing I guess.
'Find my drone' is not perfect, but as long as it went down with connection, it should get you very close.

I've never used 'find my drone', but shamefully should have at least tested it a few times in controlled circumstances to see how it functions real life.
Next time at the park.
Even with the ballpark range, you will have to have an iPhone or iPad within 10 meters to pick up the AirTag. That doesn't work so well outside in places where you might fly a drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure