DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone used to Find a Missing 5-Year Old Girl with Autism in a Swamp

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
Who could love a drone more?

A missing five-year-old girl was rescued from a wooded swamp in Florida after police used thermal imaging cameras to locate her.

Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office (HCSO) posted a video showing the moment deputies found the young girl, who was standing ankle-deep in swamp water.

The child, who has autism, was reported missing from her home in Tampa shortly after 5pm on Monday and the aviation unit of the sheriff’s office was called to attend the scene.

I wonder what drone they used? I understand Florida has banned all drones made in China from government use.
One wonders If they decided the life of a child was more important than political gobble-de-gook and dusted off the Mavic Enterprise for a mission Hmmm? You know the one they purchased a few months before they banned it.

You know, I feel a tiny modicum of pride just being a drone pilot 🙂

I just came from yet another thread arguing about privacy in people's back yards. A tiresome debate that never ends.

BIG THANKS @LoudThunder for sharing this. A needed purely positive drone story that was timely, at least for me.

I understand Florida has banned all drones made in China from government use.
I think I read that the authorities can continue to use existing ones, but connot buy DJI (Chinese) replacements...

I wonder what drone they used?
This is a Screen Shot of the Controller's Display. (I put the the white line and "Little Girl..." note on the screen for clarity...).

Anyone recognize the display?

There is no statement that any drone was used in this search. HCSO uses fixed wing and helicopters, both of which could be equipped with thermal imagers. Now regardless of what was used, the good story is still that the girl was found unharmed . . .

"HCSO aviation took to the air in the area of Windbrush Drive using thermal imaging . . ."

Reactions: Cafguy
I am a bit confused noting the altitude of 801 feet in the upper left of the display. The upper right info could be for the ground station, but it shows an elevation of 30 feet and speed of 8 knots which would indicate being on a low speed vehicle like an ATV.

The bottom middle looks to be the gimbal angles for the FLIR camera in relation to the aircraft.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
I am a bit confused noting the altitude of 801 feet in the upper left of the display. The upper right info could be for the ground station, but it shows an elevation of 30 feet and speed of 8 knots which would indicate being on a low speed vehicle like an ATV.
In the accompanied graphic, the image on the left side is from the Left side of the Controller screen and may be referring to flight of the Drone. The height of 801' would allow the widest scanning while still maintaining a solid image of any heat source. They probably are operating under a COA that allows the unrestricted height waiver…

screen.jpg

The image on the right might be referring to the actual controller's location and it might be in the hands of a pilot being driven around the area, thus the indicated movement (speed, distance, etc…).

But I am unfamiliar with this level of sophistication in a drone and do not know what make or model this might be… I included the original screen shot so that a member who is familiar with this might pipe in…

Reactions: DoomMeister
But I am unfamiliar with this level of sophistication in a drone and do not know what make or model this might be…

shopping

In the accompanied graphic, the image on the left side is from the Left side of the Controller screen and may be referring to flight of the Drone. The height of 801' would allow the widest scanning while still maintaining a solid image of any heat source. They probably are operating under a COA that allows the unrestricted height waiver…

View attachment 173086

The image on the right might be referring to the actual controller's location and it might be in the hands of a pilot being driven around the area, thus the indicated movement (speed, distance, etc…).

But I am unfamiliar with this level of sophistication in a drone and do not know what make or model this might be… I included the original screen shot so that a member who is familiar with this might pipe in…
Didn’t even think about a waiver for elevation. Pretty sure this is one of the high end aircraft that would appear on the Blue List.

I have looked at several companies that cater to police and private security in the past and choke on the prices they charge. Typical 10X to 20X pricing you see for many government contracted equipment.

We are thinking the same for the PiC being driven around most likely on a two seater quad.

I'd say it's a copter video feed, none of the thermal drones UI look like that, although it could be a custom-made IR drone.

Didn’t even think about a waiver for elevation. Pretty sure this is one of the high end aircraft that would appear on the Blue List.

I have looked at several companies that cater to police and private security in the past and choke on the prices they charge.

You merely choked? Where were the uncontrollable seizures, sobbing, and paranoid checking of your bank account for no reason other than a bona-fide freak out? 🤣🤣

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas