DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone vs Quadcopter (Multirotor)

Lubelaczek

Reactions
It may sound silly but worth a try.
Some ignorants, unaware of consequences started this long time ago calling flying multirotor - the drone.
Until then, per my knowledge this term was reserved for one purpose only - military equipment, armed and lethal. At first it was interesting and exciting to have control over something that evolved from "restricted area" to civilian use. But soon it became perceived as threat, by people mislead with that name. Privacy issue, tool for terrorists, etc. Privacy - we all know the reality. Terrorists can use anything to do harm so it is also endless subject. It is hard to explain now that this new technology is meant to be friendly. And I know, anything can be dangerous in wrong hands. Cars, alcohol, drugs, electricity, knives, heavy equipment kills people every day. How legislature controls those "deadly objects"?
My point is: stop using term "The Drone" while talking about our birds. Someone in power, who's voice will be wide spread and heard, should suggest separation for two types UAVs.
First Type: The Drone - Only for Military, PD and FD, Government, Commercial or simply non-civilian use.
Second Type: The Quad, MultiRotor, Multicopter for civilian area.
What do you think? Maybe you have different and possibly better suggestion how to call our birds...
Just my two cents.

it is in our nature to fear what we don't understand. couple that fear with the media that feeds that inherent fear and we are here today. it doesn't matter what we call it. it's how it is perceived. cars kill just as many people as do guns yet there are no lobbyist to outlaw cars... i digress. privacy is a big concern about our "drones" yet nobody is outlawing telescopic lenses or super-optical zoom capabilities on cameras... again, i digress.

how about we just call it an "R/C toy"? that's about as friendly as I've got.

This conversation has indeed been around for many years. As it rages on, I have seen everyone, on both sides of the conversation fall to the simple fact that the word, "Drone", simply won. It has become the common word for both operators and the general public. I've seen many posts where operators say that they started calling it a UAV, SUAV, Multicopter, Quadcopter...etc. But, in the end, drone became the term everyone uses. I see where if enough people started using a different, unified term, the word drone would leave, and the new term would be what you hear on the news every night, after another thingamagig hit a commercial airliner.

Qoncussion, You are right. But I just had to "steam it out" of my system. Who knows, maybe it will start another debate that will change something.
dvang007, It is a toy but I did not want to offend those who take it to higher level. Aerial pictures, taken with our "toys" are always breathtaking, even those fuzzy, shaky, grainy over or under exposed.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Kinda off topic slightly but this has always been an annoying thing for me on multiple items. First one comes to mind is Freon. That is a brand name of refrigerant. But yet every parts guy, sales clerk...I've even heard mechanics use the word, referring to refrigerant.
Then if you ever gotten on any gun forums or pages I'm sure you have been exposed to the word "clip" referring to a magazine. That will usually always get some flaming.
Same goes for an engine. (And I was guilty of this when younger) Calling it a motor. That is electric motor not the engine in your car or truck. Lol
Guess some words or terms stick. Big part of how the english language was developed.

Kinda off topic slightly but this has always been an annoying thing for me on multiple items. First one comes to mind is Freon. That is a brand name of refrigerant. But yet every parts guy, sales clerk...I've even heard mechanics use the word, referring to refrigerant.
Then if you ever gotten on any gun forums or pages I'm sure you have been exposed to the word "clip" referring to a magazine. That will usually always get some flaming.
Same goes for an engine. (And I was guilty of this when younger) Calling it a motor. That is electric motor not the engine in your car or truck. Lol
Guess some words or terms stick. Big part of how the english language was developed.
Kleenex :confused:

Not really of the topic. IMHO, "Drone" problem started when some people wanted to impress others and used new words strange to them, without full understanding their meaning.
Few more examples: killed vs died, meteor vs meteorite...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots