DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone with infrared? How much would this cost?

That's not very high-resolution IR - it looks like 320 x 256 px. A DJI Mavic Enterprise Dual will do that for less than $4k. For a significant step up to 640 x 512 px the Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced is around $7k.

Hi all,

just seen thstory;
Drone spots suspected burglars on Mansfield bank roof Drone spots suspected burglars on Mansfield bank roof

what sort / type / cost would this be?
Are you talking about putting an 'Infra Red' camera on a drone or are you talking about what the police used, ie 'Thermal' or a heat sensing camera? If it were an infra red camera, you would need infra red LEDs to send out enough infra red light to be seen by the infra red camera sensor. Theoretically, it would cost less than a thermal camera. But with the led lights it would weigh the drone down a bit.

Apologies, I guess I mean thermal, although the news story says infrared?

Apologies, I guess I mean thermal, although the news story says infrared?
A thermal camera is just a camera with a sensor that detects thermally-emitted infrared radiation, usually, for surveillance work, in the far IR 3 - 15 µm range that is radiated from objects at ambient temperatures.

That's distinct from the common near IR LED-illuminated infrared cameras that have LEDs and sensors working in the 0.7 - 1.5 µm range - well above the frequencies of radiated thermal IR.

Reactions: mini5 and dirkclod
Are you talking about putting an 'Infra Red' camera on a drone or are you talking about what the police used, ie 'Thermal' or a heat sensing camera? If it were an infra red camera, you would need infra red LEDs to send out enough infra red light to be seen by the infra red camera sensor. Theoretically, it would cost less than a thermal camera. But with the led lights it would weigh the drone down a bit.
It’s still an infrared camera, just a passive variant. The infrared camera you’re referring to is an active variant.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111