DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DroneDJ has the DJI Mavic Air 2 price and some press images

I am sure! In the transition period until January 2023, drones without Eu certification under 500 gram may fly in category A1 with only an on-line exam, for drones between 500 and 2 kg a class-room exam is required and then they may fly in category A2 with serious restrictions. After the transition period they both come in A3 with even more restrictions. The 900 gram is an upper limit to obtain a C1 certification but has no meaning in the transition period.
The table is in Dutch, but the major topics are understandable (I hope).

Wow. Just seeing the 500gr stuff on the linked EASA website.

Wth

People are just finding things to complain about always. They're scared that a 799 drone will outshine or encroach on their 1500 dollar drone. It almost seems like they turn it personal.

DJI controls like, what? 75% of the consumer drone market? Autel and Skydio should run as fast as they can before the 800 lb gorilla catches up to them.

Not so sure the zoom is as useful as you think. I have a M2Z and rarely use the facility. The reason I purchased it was because it was cheaper than the M2Pro. The problem I have with it is that I use ND filters to get the right exposure for a chosen shutter speed, as the aperture is fixed. Zoom in, and the image darkens as you do. I don't really like using auto exposure as when you move around, the picture exposure can change quite dramatically. To me that looks odd.

Thanks, great point... for some reason I did not thought about changed f-stop once zooming in.
I love shooting with 50mm on my camera which draw my attention to the zoom to have this change perspective.
I am also on the edge how often i really use zoom for video, more for pics.
But I know I do not need a lot of the mavic 2 pro like Dlog, H265 etc. as I do not much after processing anyway.
Mike

Thanks, great point... for some reason I did not thought about changed f-stop once zooming in.
I love shooting with 50mm on my camera which draw my attention to the zoom to have this change perspective.
I am also on the edge how often i really use zoom for video, more for pics.
But I know I do not need a lot of the mavic 2 pro like Dlog, H265 etc. as I do not much after processing anyway.
Mike

The good ol zoom isn't without such refinements. Not sure H265 is of much use right now, but the zoom has D-Cinelike that films in a much flatter dynamic range so that you can do a lot more corrections to exposure, luminance and colour correction. I believe you can apply a LUT (look up table) to it, but I just normally use the corrections to give me a good contrast, correct saturation and tone and match shots taken at different times of day of the same subject.

You don't actually have to do ANY of that though - the standard modes work perfectly fine.

The biggest changes in exposure happen during orbiting subjects. That's where I most like to use manual exposure. If you are not orbiting, the auto settings work absolutely fine, so the zoom can be used as intended.

i feel silly to ask questions given how close we are to unveiling, but the 799 price is without the fly more combo?
If I do extrapolate the combo to be say $200, is $999 a good price compared to the MP2 Zoom with combo?

i feel silly to ask questions given how close we are to unveiling, but the 799 price is without the fly more combo?
If I do extrapolate the combo to be say $200, is $999 a good price compared to the MP2 Zoom with combo?
What do you think would make the Zoom better if the 48MP can be made to match the Zoom? The flight time? The sensors? The speed? The image sensor? Nothing about the Zoom really makes it a better option than the MA2 now. IMO.

Reactions: lee82gx
If you go for a different drone the variable aperture on the M2P Should be considered.

What do you think would make the Zoom better if the 48MP can be made to match the Zoom? The flight time? The sensors? The speed? The image sensor? Nothing about the Zoom really makes it a better option than the MA2 now. IMO.
Optical zoom effects will always look different compared to the digital cropping, for example the dolly zoom. Optically speaking even the lens element may not be resolving 48MP so well, such that if you really crop in, there should be bound to be some quality trade offs. Even very expensive DSLR lenses struggle to resolve 48mp and crop in sometimes. Also definitely the side obstacle sensors. If nothing makes it better, I'm sure the demand vs supply will correct itself, no?

If you go for a different drone the variable aperture on the M2P Should be considered.
Definitely, except I'm still on the fence regarding $$$, looks like $1.1-1.2k is the limit of my budget and getting the M2P on a single battery sounds desperate.

Optical zoom effects will always look different compared to the digital cropping, for example the dolly zoom. Optically speaking even the lens element may not be resolving 48MP so well, such that if you really crop in, there should be bound to be some quality trade offs. Even very expensive DSLR lenses struggle to resolve 48mp and crop in sometimes. Also definitely the side obstacle sensors. If nothing makes it better, I'm sure the demand vs supply will correct itself, no?
Point taken. I guess size matters then after all.

The 48MP definitely can't be made to match the zoom and the resolution is a bit misleading, it's really a 12MP sensor (each pixel being made up for four physical pixels) that's meant to be a bit better but doesn't really seem to be in reality.

Thanks for the effort :)
Greatly appreciated

You're welcome! It's a rough summary. The complete rules are in a document called Easy_Access_Rules_for_Unmanned_Aircraft_Systems.pdf. Ehh... "Easy access"? The document has 265 pages!
To what extent the UK will implement this remains to be seen.
The consequence for me: if the weight is indeed above 500 grams or there is no "C1" certification I will stick to my Mavic Air until a certified version of the Mavic Air 2 or the Mavic 2 Pro becomes available.

You're welcome! It's a rough summary. The complete rules are in a document called Easy_Access_Rules_for_Unmanned_Aircraft_Systems.pdf. Ehh... "Easy access"? The document has 265 pages!
To what extent the UK will implement this remains to be seen.
The consequence for me: if the weight is indeed above 500 grams or there is no "C1" certification I will stick to my Mavic Air until a certified version of the Mavic Air 2 or the Mavic 2 Pro becomes available.

Hahaha. So called 'easy access'.
I found this reliable link on Heliguy where they gave easy peasy advise by drone type. CAA Approved DRONE TRAINING - A2 CofC, GVC and PfCO | HELIGUY.com

Check Training Requirements by Drone, clear and concise. I also hope they look include the 500g element when they update it tomorrow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM