DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DroneDJ has the DJI Mavic Air 2 price and some press images

I’m sitting this one out. Have the original Mavic Pro and a Mavic Air. Though I’m disappointed by my Air’s performance distance wise, I’m not $800 disappointed. Occusync is nice, but after seeing the Skydio 2 in action, I’ll wait until DJI can catch up in that department. If someone can get that perfect combo of Skydio 2 and Mavic 2 Pro, I’d make the purchase immediately.

You can't blame Dji with pushing the market with a new product. How much more spin and cool features can be added in a year's time frame... new products are new products none the less and with how difficult the FAA and the market is in general, it is good to see Dji pushing forward. The part that is questionable really does not matter anyhow. It is the name. Why Dji chose Mavic Air 2 is ??? This resembles nothing like the Mavic Air and not even a hint of the Mavic Air design besides the black camera housing and gimbal. Bottom line is, who cares about the name right? Price point is about what we all expected and now it would be interesting to see the reviews based on using the Fly App. This new Mavic Air 2 is not that much smaller than that of the Mavic Pro 2 or Zoom. It is a small fraction by mm smaller. Do I need to add this to my bag of flying cameras? I guess it will have to be seen. It does look like this will be in the size range of the original Mavic Pro. Good read here in this thread and we can see how this unfolds! Be safe out there.

-SaltyPilot

Some of the comparisons/complaints in this thread are a little ridiculous. Saying the Air 2 is not a good as the Autel EVO 2, Skydio are absurd comparisons. You're comparing an (assumed) $799 drone to drones costing upwards of $1,400. It's like saying a Honda Fit is not good enough because the Toyota Avalon exists.

The Evo 2 / Skydio would be better compared to the Mavic 2 and even then it's not really a fair comparison given the Mavic 2s release date of August 2018. Especially when taking into account how fast technology evolves.

Some of the comparisons/complaints in this thread are a little ridiculous. Saying the Air 2 is not a good as the Autel EVO 2, Skydio are absurd comparisons. You're comparing an (assumed) $799 drone to drones costing upwards of $1,400. It's like saying a Honda Fit is not good enough because the Toyota Avalon exists.

The Evo 2 / Skydio would be better compared to the Mavic 2 and even then it's not really a fair comparison given the Mavic 2s release date of August 2018. Especially when taking into account how fast technology evolves.

People are just finding things to complain about always. They're scared that a 799 drone will outshine or encroach on their 1500 dollar drone. It almost seems like they turn it personal.

People are just finding things to complain about always. They're scared that a 799 drone will outshine or encroach on their 1500 dollar drone. It almost seems like they turn it personal.

Just like when the Tesla Model 3 was released. Hopefully no blocking of DJI factories this time ?

Last edited:
570 grams
If it is really 570 grams I will not buy the Mavic Air 2. Mavic Air is 430 grams - less then 500 grams, so to fly it in Europe an on-line exam suffices. For more than 500 grams a class-room exam is required. If you intend to fly in Europe than (until January 2023) less than 500 grams is OK, - or a European "C1" certification, printed inside the battery compartment is needed. From the leaked photos it appears there is no valid certification.
If, by surprise, there is a EU C1 certification after all, then I will surely buy the Mavic Air 2!

If it is really 570 grams I will not buy the Mavic Air 2. Mavic Air is 430 grams - less then 500 grams, so to fly it in Europe an on-line exam suffices. For more than 500 grams a class-room exam is required. If you intend to fly in Europe than (until January 2023) less than 500 grams is OK, - or a European "C1" certification, printed inside the battery compartment is needed. From the leaked photos it appears there is no valid certification.
If, by surprise, there is a EU C1 certification after all, then I will surely buy the Mavic Air 2!

Are you sure?
Because i understand the 2 first categories are under 250 gr and under 900 gr. I never read any limitation with 500 gr. There is also an energy limitation (joule).

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32019R0945&from=EN

View attachment 99577
Its not bad?
Anyway if it's compatible with smart controller, I'll go with smart controllerView attachment 99577

I like the new controller setup, and based from the antennas setup they are built inside the two outer sides of controller. Seems to me they will always point towards the ground when user is holding controller?
Please correct me, Antennas are built inside, Do they appear to be pointing towards the ground?

Thank goodness it has osucsync 2, it’ll need it with the direction the antennas are pointing. Still, I like the new features. Long range, camera terrific and osucsync 2.

Nice!
Paul

I like the new controller setup, and based from the antennas setup they are built inside the two outer sides of controller. Seems to me they will always point towards the ground when user is holding controller?
Please correct me, Antennas are built inside, Do they appear to be pointing towards the ground?

Thank goodness it has osucsync 2, it’ll need it with the direction the antennas are pointing. Still, I like the new features. Long range, camera terrific and osucsync 2.

Nice!
Paul2
PicsArt_04-26-01.44.41.jpg
I think this is the whole antena setup?

Last edited:
You’re information isn't correct.

Are you sure?
Because i understand the 2 first categories are under 250 gr and under 900 gr. I never read any limitation with 500 gr. There is also an energy limitation (joule).

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32019R0945&from=EN
I am sure! In the transition period until January 2023, drones without Eu certification under 500 gram may fly in category A1 with only an on-line exam, for drones between 500 and 2 kg a class-room exam is required and then they may fly in category A2 with serious restrictions. After the transition period they both come in A3 with even more restrictions. The 900 gram is an upper limit to obtain a C1 certification but has no meaning in the transition period.eu_drone_rules_en.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the MA2 will have the Sony IMX586 sensor that is used in a lot of modern smartphones - technically it can do 4K 90FPS ! - but from what I can find smarphones with this chip are 4K 60fps max. In good light you might get some decent 48mp pics, but more likely the 12mp setting will give the best results, where 4 pixels are combined in a quad bayer arrangement
More info on the sensor here: Sony Releases Stacked CMOS Image Sensor for Smartphones with Industry’s Highest 48 Effective Megapixels

I am sure! In the transition period until January 2023, drones without Eu certification under 500 gram may fly in category A1 with only an on-line exam, for drones between 500 and 2 kg a class-room exam is required and then they may fly in category A2 with serious restrictions. After the transition period they both come in A3 with even more restrictions. The 900 gram is an upper limit to obtain a C1 certification but has no meaning in the transition period.
The table is in Dutch, but the major topics are understandable (I hope).

I had search on UE documents on their official documentations website, there is no clue of any change regulation after 2020. The 2020 regulation is a big change and it was lots of work so it's strange that they change again in 2023. It's never write in UE documentation that's 2020 is a transition to a 2023 rules.
BUT there is a transition until 2023 for the 2020 regulation (it's a bit tricky). Look at official website : Drones - regulatory framework timeline | | EASA

For me the transition stand for actual drone without the new tag on it. That's where you can find your 500gr limitation.
So you right for the 500 gr restriction but it's only for old drone without new tag and certification....So for all actual drone...Sad.
If you buy a new drone with EU and category tag it's all about the 2020 regulation not the transition period.

i don't say i am right, but i try to understand the future drone regulation in UE.
It's interesting to have an other point of view.

Sorry for my english, i try to improve it.

Edit : to late but i misunderstood your post, we say the same things.... ?

Last edited:
Hi, any info if they add zoom? Maybe as a 2.model like for the mavic 2?

Not so sure the zoom is as useful as you think. I have a M2Z and rarely use the facility. The reason I purchased it was because it was cheaper than the M2Pro. The problem I have with it is that I use ND filters to get the right exposure for a chosen shutter speed, as the aperture is fixed. Zoom in, and the image darkens as you do. I don't really like using auto exposure as when you move around, the picture exposure can change quite dramatically. To me that looks odd.

Reactions: 1thor and GarthH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661