DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dronegenuity - Heads up

flysi3000

Reactions
Any other Dronegenuity pilots here? I flew a couple of missions with them and everything worked out pretty well. The most recent one was a commercial real estate project in Brooklyn, NY. I shot a bunch of images and footage, and uploaded to their Dropbox, but never got paid. According to them, their client didn't like or use the images (they were "too cloudy"). Just posting this as a heads up here, to let potential pilots know that there's no contract that says you will get paid for your work whether or not their clients use it. Shame on me - I didn't realize this until after going out to the location multiple times and shooting over 200 images, plus several videos. Anyone else have experience with them?

• Sad
Reactions: Torque
Any other Dronegenuity pilots here? I flew a couple of missions with them and everything worked out pretty well. The most recent one was a commercial real estate project in Brooklyn, NY. I shot a bunch of images and footage, and uploaded to their Dropbox, but never got paid. According to them, their client didn't like or use the images (they were "too cloudy"). Just posting this as a heads up here, to let potential pilots know that there's no contract that says you will get paid for your work whether or not their clients use it. Shame on me - I didn't realize this until after going out to the location multiple times and shooting over 200 images, plus several videos. Anyone else have experience with them?
If you still have the location address (you went there to shoot the property) check online for realtor listings. If you find that anything you recognise as one of your shots has been used to feature this property: sue their arse off for copyright infringement.

It's funny you should mention this. The wildfires in Canada are cuasing haze problems in NY. I went to do a shoot for them in NJ and didn't complete it because they wanted cityscape views and he haze ruined it. There was another time I did a shopping plaza in Brooklyn and they told me the client wanted the parking lot to be full. I wasn't getting paid forthat because the dispute was over the time I shot the parking lot. I proved the time by sending them a copy of Drone log book flight. They did pay me. As of now I am still waiting for the sky to clear of the NJ shot. Read the instructions carefully and if they are looking for clear skies (usually Real Estate shoots let them know about the conditions before you fly.

Safy Flying!

Reactions: flysi3000
Some reading material.

Shocking playing both sides of the equation too.
Only 7 reviews, out of X ??? numbers of jobs . . . but yeah sounds like one business stream to avoid if possible.

their client didn't like or use the images (they were "too cloudy")

Has anyone ever tried an MCUV filter or a Natural Night filter for smoke haze ?

Reactions: Starz
If you still have the location address (you went there to shoot the property) check online for realtor listings. If you find that anything you recognise as one of your shots has been used to feature this property: sue their arse off for copyright infringement.
If only...What I mean is that while the idea of suing someone for copyright infringement seems reasonable, on a practical level for something like this I expect it would most often not be workable. I say this as someone who has been there.

Unless the image(s) were registered with the Copyright Office prior to the infringement damages would be limited to actual damages which would be almost certainly a great deal less than it would cost to hire an attorney to bring suit in Federal Court which is where copyright is litigated. (I would speculate no attorney would take a small case on a contingency basis.)

If the images were registered prior to infringement then statutory damages would be available and those can be very substantial. I received a judgment against a defendant for over a half million dollars based on statutory damages and this brings me to the next problem of litigation: collecting on a judgment. I never have and never will see a penny of what is owed. The defendant has to have assets you can locate and by law attach (claim as yours). Not so easy or not possible in some cases.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas