DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones as first responders

Duckhunter50

Reactions
"Each day, the Chula Vista police respond to as many as 15 emergency calls with a drone, launching more than 4,100 flights since the program began two years ago. Chula Vista, a Southern California city with a population of 270,000, is the first in the country to adopt such a program, called Drone as First Responder."

"F.A.A. regulations aimed at protecting the flights of commercial planes and other aircraft prevent drones from being flown beyond the line of sight of their operators. But Chula Vista obtained a waiver from the F.A.A., so the pilot and officer can fly the drone as much as three miles from its launch site."

"Each drone — including long-distance cameras, other sensors and software — costs the department about $35,000."

Reactions: Armillaria
"Each day, the Chula Vista police respond to as many as 15 emergency calls with a drone, launching more than 4,100 flights since the program began two years ago. Chula Vista, a Southern California city with a population of 270,000, is the first in the country to adopt such a program, called Drone as First Responder."

"F.A.A. regulations aimed at protecting the flights of commercial planes and other aircraft prevent drones from being flown beyond the line of sight of their operators. But Chula Vista obtained a waiver from the F.A.A., so the pilot and officer can fly the drone as much as three miles from its launch site."

"Each drone — including long-distance cameras, other sensors and software — costs the department about $35,000."

This is my local PD. There are areas designated as no fly zones at all times because of their training. They fly the Skydio drones.

So do the have access to the skies over the entire city?
Oh no. Just a small area in Chula Vista, which is a town of reasonable size, 12 miles south of San Diego. There are too many marine bases, naval bases, hospitals and a large airport in the area for them to have much in the way of clear skies.

Reactions: CarlsbadAL
well thats alot. I use a pro i use for searching for cattle livestock, sheds and anywhere i couldnt get to otherwise and out there some distance further than 3 sometimes past the controllers connection and it brings back video of every step till it returns , i wouldn,t have this tool if it was 35000 wow and i,ve covered up to 300 linair miles a day with the pro thats alot of video watching

So do the have access to the skies over the entire city?
I have found out otherwise, just since yesterday. They actually have access to the entire city of San Diego down the the Mexico border, which is quite a large area. I think it in the neighborhood of 52 sq miles. There currently have two rooftop ground stations with drone pilot/officers at the ready, and a third ground station in the works.

thats good it can be effective and 35000 is about what a long range drone cost in my searches and excuse me but the new all american is not quite there yet it can,t keep up with my mav pro yet

Has the system proved worthwhile? Anywhere I can view a report? Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S