DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones interfering with fire fighting in L.A. County

As much as I respect the Drone community, I'm sure there are "pilots" out there that put getting a good shot above the needs of emergency responders. It would be like people taking video while someone is being attacked on the subway, wondering "Will this go viral?", or "I hope I get this on before anyone else." The bad guy will not stop when he sees everyone else is taking video.

I've never experienced that attitude here. Everyone takes very seriously their responsibilities as good pilots. We even have apps to keep us on the straight and narrow. DJI Fly makes me promise not to encroach on Fullerton Airport every time I fly.

Ken

Reactions: MA2 317
Seems like an aeroscope type system, but ‘new tech not used before’ so hopefully no bans to fed / state or county use like we’ve seen with Chinese (DJI) built drones in recent times.
Possibly just not yet used before by the CA FD ?
The video / photo show a DJI M2EA drone though with thermal camera ?
Not sure how FBI involvement could include DJI equipment given the federal stance on supposed security risks ?
There are companies that are developing drone detection systems using RF similar to DJI's Aeroscope and these systems will detect other drones from other manufacturers.
The FBI are partnered because they are one of a few federal agencies that can perform counter drone operations such as interfering with the drone's RF telemetry.

I suspect that a big problem is the same as it is with online people. The need to get "hits" by immediately uploading, even in real time, footage is the rage. More and more I'm seeing that people, instead of helping someone in trouble, film a situation hoping to get it viewed by others online. I would imagine that could happen in an emergency situation such as a fire. A rogue drone "pilot" caring more about his online reputation than the safety of others. When I see an emergency in progress, I see so many recording it, and I don't think they are thinking "I need to report this." They're thinking "How many views will I get?"

I've never experienced that attitude here. Everyone takes very seriously their responsibilities as good pilots.
I have.

People arguing that they are good pilots and so the restrictions shouldn't apply to them. People arguing that NFZs unfairly restrict their freedoms. People admiring pilots who fly a few km up into airspace because the video is so cool.

At least the video balanced it out a bit showing drones are good for firefighters to see into buildings with thermal imaging. The media needs to move a way from the quick sound bit that all drones are evil.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka