DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones Over California Wildfires (Please Stop)!!!

I would not do it since I would think it would be an emergency and we are not suppose to fly over those. Also I would think smoke form the fire and possible embers would not be good for the drone or camera on the drone. If I lived close I might fly it straight up to to watch progress and see if my property was in danger. But I know they have been evacuating people, so I probably would not have been home to fly the drone. Also in NE Ohio, its consider drought conditions if it does not rain for a whole week.

The person doing this is also risking losing their drone. FAA quickly creates NFZ areas around fires when requested, which may ground your drone and cause it to auto land straight down if it’s still in the air and you happen to have wireless data turned on for the App when that happens and you won’t be able to override it. Too bad if the guy was over the fire when that happened!
For everyone’s sake I open FAA keeps his drone. Anyone lacking this much sense doesn’t deserve to be up in the air in my opinion.

The person doing this is also risking losing their drone. FAA quickly creates NFZ areas around fires when requested, which may ground your drone and cause it to auto land straight down if it’s still in the air and you happen to have wireless data turned on for the App when that happens and you won’t be able to override it. Too bad if the guy was over the fire when that happened!
I am sure that will be the least of his problems considerin.

For everyone’s sake I open FAA keeps his drone. Anyone lacking this much sense doesn’t deserve to be up in the air in my opinion.
If he is responsible for lost of property or worse life it will be his treedom they keep from him.

I live in West Sonoma County California. I purposely did not fly my M2P when friends asked me to. Not just were there firefighting air support but PG&E, local Pac. Gas & Electric company, had helicopters up inspecting transmission lines, towers, etc.

Have fun, Fly safe!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I waited 2-3 days after the fire (hillside, San Bernardino, CA), will be posting later today.

Everyone here in Ventura is now gonna hate ALL drone flyers. Sad because of one idiot who has NO common sense.

This entire report is almost unimaginable to me, "almost" because human stupidity has "Almost" ceased to shock & infuriate. I can understand the temptation to document an event so astounding. I have photographed fires from the ground (not in a restricted zone) But interrupting fire fighting aircraft is pretty much beyond belief. These fires are a massive tragedy and a trend that is changing California irreparably. The consequences of seemingly small acts of negligence can be tragic. A cigarette, campfire, spark, and now DRONE FLIGHT.

I'll be reluctant to tell anyone that I fly a drone henceforth. (I live in Nor Cal). Please friends, let's think clearly. And let's not ruin the public view of this amazing technology.

I live 5 miles from the Maria fire. Because a drone was spotted near the fire, they had to call off 2 fixed wing and 6 helicopter air drops causing the fire to increase in size dramatically. I fly drones but I know not near fires nor emergency sites. Common sense. For all you nay-sayers, if your property was on fire, approaching your house, would you care if a drone flew over and stopped first responders from saving your house? Everyone here in Ventura is now gonna hate ALL drone flyers. Sad because of one idiot who has NO common sense.
I read this on NPR just now and my immediate thought was what you are saying - if my house burned down (or if someone were injured) because someone's amateur drone flight caused a delay in some aspect of the emergency operations I would want that person held liable for any and all damages that result. I realize all that would be hard to calculate and determine but that is what judges are for is it not?

Don’t believe everything you read/ hear from the media.
Sensational news sells !
I believe this is fake news
.... Think about it
Is it even possible to fly in that weather .?
NO.!
Between the Santa Ana winds
and updraft from the heat
Good luck!

Please friends, let's think clearly. And let's not ruin the public view of this amazing technology.

Too late unfortunately. It's great that there are more stories being published about the positive and even life-saving applications for which drones are being used, but the days of being able to go out for a fun time flying your drone are most probably coming to an end.

The sport of drone racing inside big indoor spaces will flourish because flying for fun outdoors, except for a few officially sanctioned drone parks, will be outlawed. I honestly hope that I am mistaken with this prediction.

Sensational news sells !
.... Think about it
NO.!
Good luck!
We all should take a drink every time someone says “fake news” or “California”. I know it’s an opinion, but how do you know?

Last edited:
Sensational news sells !
.... Think about it
NO.!
Good luck!

So just to clarify - which do you "believe" - that the media invented the report from the firefighting crew, that the firefighters were mistaken, or that the firefighters lied about the event?

California should be more worried about its rotting, failing infrastructure than a few drones buzzing firefighters. In my firefighting experience I would think even hearing a drone in the middle of a forest fire would be difficult. A lot of exaggeration here. Many emergency personnel love to over exaggerate their importance I have found.

• Wow
Reactions: deleted member 877
California should be more worried about its rotting, failing infrastructure than a few drones buzzing firefighters. In my firefighting experience I would think even hearing a drone in the middle of a forest fire would be difficult. A lot of exaggeration here. Many emergency personnel love to over exaggerate their importance I have found.
:rolleyes: The first one was reported when seen by a Ventura County helicopter pilot, flying at night at 3am, and a second one was reported at 4 am.

Last edited:
Its ( Mod Removed )like you who think like this that are probably the ones flying illegally around these fires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its ( Mod Removed. )like you who think like this that are probably the ones flying illegally around these fires.
. . . or setting them.

We have had former firefighters convicted here for setting fires in the attempt to force the city to return to overtime pay.

But to get back on topic; these fires are fanned by high winds which do pose some issues. The drones can fly. They fly upwind (obviously) where the smoke and smog are cleared out; making them easy to spot at night.

For discussion only . . . some could be endangered homeowners spinning up to take a peek at how close the fire is to them. Desperation on losing everything could make you do drastic things . . . even stupid things. Not justifying it . . . its just human nature.

All aspects of this are tragic. Fortunately all the fires are under control this morning with the exception of the Maria fire.

. . . or setting them.

We have had former firefighters convicted here for setting fires in the attempt to force the city to return to overtime pay.

But to get back on topic; these fires are fanned by high winds which do pose some issues. The drones can fly. They fly upwind (obviously) where the smoke and smog are cleared out; making them easy to spot at night.

For discussion only . . . some could be endangered homeowners spinning up to take a peek at how close the fire is to them. Desperation on losing everything could make you do drastic things . . . even stupid things. Not justifying it . . . its just human nature.

All aspects of this are tragic. Fortunately all the fires are under control this morning with the exception of the Maria fire.
I was on a whitewater raft trip where we were overrun by a wilfire that was later determined to be started by a seasonal firefighter. Luckily we had found a giant gravel bar to camp on for the night while it burned all around us. That was a memorable trip!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin