DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drop in the ocean

Reactions
Hello, greetings from isle of Limnos, Greece, where people surf and kite.
My MavicPro dropped in the sea today, my fault.
It is out of warranty and no carerefresh available.
Anyone can help me how to clean the drone to fly again.
Many thanks in advanc

Many thanks in advanc
Sorry to here about your issue. Our site has info on how to clean a drone after a water event. Most likely too much time has passed to prevent damage.

If you haven't attempted to power it up. It can be cleaned using lots of distilled water. Dismantle as far as you are comfortable but make sure the battery is removed as soon as possible.
Your battery may be ruined.

Don't power it on until it's bone dry though!

mikeg

Wash/Dunk your drone in distilled water, then open/ dismantle as much of the body and spray/ drench iso propyl alcohol (99% pure) on all the circuit boards/ gimbal/ motors and open connectors and spray them as well
Scrub with the alcohol using a soft tooth brush to remove any visible corrosion.

Then dry for at least 7 days, use a fan for airflow

After it is perfectly dry then you can try powering it up using a different battery.

Reactions: BirdzEyeView2020
Many thanks in advanc
Many good responses above, but those might be helpful for fresh water. Since yours fell into the sea and was exposed to salt water, I would not recommend trying to fix it. The corrosion starts immediately and will continue to eat away even after you clean it.

Reactions: Capt KO and Meta4
Many good responses above, but those might be helpful for fresh water. Since yours fell into the sea and was exposed to salt water, I would not recommend trying to fix it. The corrosion starts immediately and will continue to eat away even after you clean it.
He's got nothing to lose at this point. Might as well try.

When a salt water dunking occurs, if rescue and battery removal are expedited, it's certainly possible to achieve success (and as Mark W. says above, not much to lose). Since distilled water in not likely to be immediately available, use any fresh water - submerge and shake around if possible, get plenty of water in and out to dilute and flush out the salt water. Do not power up! Next follow advice for using distilled water.

The compelling reason for not flying after a salt water dunking is that you will never stop the resulting corrosion. It will have the potential forever in the future of creating a failure, creating an out of control falling on somethingor someone mass.

? so sorry. Salt loves metal and hard to remove 100%. Best every metal part scrubbed. But no old salted drones. Will need replacement (very) soon. IMO

Goes for all electronics. Even some ‘waterproof’.

Thank you all for the good and valuable advises. Got distilled water in two hours from the drop, washed it through with 4 liters and now it sits in a pile of rice.
Will check on the alcohol advise as well.

Rice is a no no. The dust is no good for it. Just set it on paper or cloth and a fan would be good or a blow dryer. If you can get the silica packets that they put in shoeboxes, you could lay them in the drone. But just let it dry, longer than you think. But get it out of the rice. You may could spray the inside with a non-conductive lubricant to stop any more corrosion, but I'm not positive on that.

Thank you all for the good and valuable advises. Got distilled water in two hours from the drop, washed it through with 4 liters and now it sits in a pile of rice.
Will check on the alcohol advise as well.
Best of luck, let's hope it works. [emoji106]

Rice is a no no. The dust is no good for it. Just set it on paper or cloth and a fan would be good or a blow dryer. If you can get the silica packets that they put in shoeboxes, you could lay them in the drone. But just let it dry, longer than you think. But get it out of the rice. You may could spray the inside with a non-conductive lubricant to stop any more corrosion, but I'm not positive on that.
Thank you for the advise. Can you recommend a lubricant I can use?

After rising thoroughly with several bathes of fresh and distilled water, the best is to dry it by immersion in alccol as pure as possible. Isopropyl alcool 99% is a good choice.

After rising thoroughly with several bathes of fresh and distilled water, the best is to dry it by immersion in alccol as pure as possible. Isopropyl alcool 99% is a good choice.

It would be a good choice if one can find any in these days and times..I noted it is slowly creeping back on Amazon (I can find none local) but a highly increased cost, post you know what. ;) I always have two bottles stocked, but even I am running out and don't think $10 a 8oz bottle is going to happen from my pocket:p

It would be a good choice if one can find any in these days and times..I noted it is slowly creeping back on Amazon (I can find none local) but a highly increased cost, post you know what. ;) I always have two bottles stocked, but even I am running out and don't think $10 a 8oz bottle is going to happen from my pocket:p

Here (in France) it costs around 30€ for 6 l. (i.e. about 5€/l.)

1601258974957.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+