DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumb mistake - auto land/RTH

ronk

Reactions
This is the second time I have done this now - pressed autoland instead of RTH. Mavic started to descend but quickly cancelled it. Would have lost it in the sea!

What makes matters worse is I was in the shade on a very bright day but could barely see the dji app display. Will look into getting one of those hoods.

Dude definitely press the physical button from now on. Glad u saved it!

Good lesson for me to remember also - physical RC button for RTH only! Safest option and whilst on the topic...what is the best return to home altitude set by all? I have 30m, so I’m sure my bird will clear trees/power lines etc.

I have often found that my phone/tablet often auto dims and I find it difficult to see as well. I have made it part of my pre flight checks to adjust screen brightness to 100%.

Just wondering. Why did You use it? I`ve never used mine so far. But I`d use the controlled button rather that the app screen. thanks

The only time I’ve used RTH is when I’ve been showing someone else how it works. I’d much rather fly Havoc back to me instead of trusting software to do it.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Read The Full Manual ;-))

I have read it three times. I still forget things like removing the camera clamp, ensure I am using the right settings, right nd filter. There is this excitement/stress that causes me to forget things. I am working on it :)

Siwyleeds, I can tell you a time. I was flying FPV as the Litchi app had crashed. I then opened DJIGo4 and was doing fpv. Still getting use to having all this battery life (been flying some years now) I took it (flew) into an adjacent area close by but I was unfamiliar with terrain. Plenty of battery life so, no problems, I thought.
After just a few minutes of cruising I got an low alarm from my controller battery. I had made several flight turns and was in a position I didn't recognize (terrain). I WANTED to hit the RTH button so bad.
I was able to eventually recognize the terrain and pulled her back but did NOT enjoy the added pressure of running out of battery on the controller. And I hadn't tested the RTH when I had a loss of signal. That was my one time.

Ronk- create your own PRE FLIGHT CHECK LIST on your phone or display. Make it the first thing you open when you get to your site. It will refresh your memory for what steps to take.
step 1- open check list
step 2- open Hover
step 3- etc.

In Hover I put all kinds of notes on batteries, flight times, apps used etc.

Reactions: ronk
Ronk, this was not a stupid mistake, just a simple, and probably common, error. You corrected the situation. Now you are aware that the controller button is a good way to avoid this issue in the future, and that a hood can be a nice inexpensive piece of safety equipment to have on hand. Good cheap lessons learned.
Fly safe and enjoy.

Reactions: ronk
I have read it three times. I still forget things like removing the camera clamp, ensure I am using the right settings, right nd filter. There is this excitement/stress that causes me to forget things. I am working on it :)
The camera clamp is easy - eg attach a red ribbon so you cannot miss it , unfold props, removed clamp, done!

Good lesson for me to remember also - physical RC button for RTH only! Safest option and whilst on the topic...what is the best return to home altitude set by all? I have 30m, so I’m sure my bird will clear trees/power lines etc.
Anything at least 5m ABOVE anything you could hit on RTH, if unsure make it 50m nothing to lose other than your drone

Reactions: Kaz Mavic Pro

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23