DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EASA is killing our hobby, yet no one is doing anything about it…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaros

Reactions
Hello, you might know that I like to disagree with the drone rules and regulations, I still follow them (most of the time, that is) but I have strong feeling that EASA is trying to make drone flying impossible in the future.

Let me explain:
They are introducing many irrelevant rules that don't make any sense. An excellent example of this is the C-Marking, what gives?! It doesn't make things any safer, but instead, it limits the use of drones in certain places. What they are trying to do is to slowly but surely limit the use of drones until they ban them.

They know that if they just straight up ban them, people will go against them, but if they limit it step by step everyone will adjust to the new regulations.

Let me set another example: Remote ID, EASA already mentioned that they are planning to introduce that in 2024. Tell me, who wants their drone to be scannable by strangers? Most definitely no one! Now tell me who tried to do something about it? Not many people! And then you see FAA trying to do the same thing and people suing them. See the difference?

I live in Spain, and for people outside of Spain I can tell you, the situation with drones here is horrible now, they install Aeroscopes everywhere they can, fining 200k for flying above cities without any prior warnings and then post fake news about drone crashes on TV and News. Really? Is this going towards completely banning them?

If you don't agree, please tell me a situation where the C-Marking is beneficial or safe, or why can't I fly in a city? See, doesn't make sense that I can fly a mini 2 in a city, but not a mavic air 2.

With regards why is the mini 2 permitted and the air 2 not, go stand under a balcony that is say 10ft up. Have some one on the balcony drop a mini 2 onto your head, then drop an air 2 onto your head. Which hurts more?
Repeat but drop the drones onto the wind screen or sun roof of your parents' car, which is more likely to smash the windscreen or sun roof?

Have some one fly a mini 2 into your body at its maximum speed, repeat with air 2, which hurts more?
Repeat but aim the drone at a window in your parents' house, which is more likely to break the window?

The rules are there in an attempt to prevent heavy drones falling on people or their property if something goes wrong,. Ditto energetic collisions with people/property.

How many of these threads do you need to start?
Of the "similar threads" listed at the bottom of this page, 4 of the 5 are yours.

How many times are you going to cite the Barcelona idiot's fine for, from memory, repeated offences when, and again from memory, the figure quoted in the cited article was for the maximum possible fine and the actual fine had yet to be set, as was pointed out to you in the thread that you started.

Last edited:
There are multiple reasons for what the EASA is doing, but basically it's an attempt by the EU to undertake one of their primary remits and harmonize regulations and standards across the EU. This is a good thing, both for those within and without the EU, as it means the entire area requires compliance a single set of paperwork.

As for why there are increased restrictions on our hobby, that should be obvious. When you get right down to it, there's no difference between those who blatently flout the rules and those who bend them just a little bit; what matters is when it goes wrong. There have been a depressingly large number of incidents where people or properties have been hurt because of people breaking the rules, both by a considerably margin and just a little bit. Everytime that happens, it's getting a lot of press (for a whole load of reasons, mostly - again - down to people bending the rules), and politicians are therefore under pressure to Get Something Done. What else are they going to do, but legislate and enforce operational restrictions, registration schemes, and tracking systems?

Ultimately, you either fly within the rules, without exception, or you are risking becoming part of the problem that is slowly but surely chipping away at our freedom to fly.

How many of these threads do you need to start?
Of the "similar threads" listed at the bottom of this page, 4 of the 5 are yours.
I will start them until the community starts to understand the issue.

The rules are there in an attempt to prevent heavy drones falling on people or their property if something goes wrong,.
Okay, then why the US doesn't have these dumb rules?

How many times are you going to cite the Barcelona idiot's fine for, from memory, repeated offences when, and again from memory, the figure quoted in the cited article was for the maximum possible fine and the actual fine had yet to be set, as was pointed out to you in the thread that you started.
1st - Don't call him an idiot, he didn't do any damage, he doesn't deserve a fine
2nd - It is a perfect example of EASA going crazy over something like this. Shouldn't happen again!

1st - Don't call him an idiot, he didn't do any damage, he doesn't deserve a fine
2nd - It is a perfect example of EASA going crazy over something like this. Shouldn't happen again!

I am sure they do ask some of the US pilots.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud

Information available suggests he knowingly and repeatedly broke the law. He absolutely, 100%, deserves a fine if that information is correct and it can be proven in court.

Disagreeing with a law does NOT give you carte blanche to ignore it without consequence, regardless of what that law is. There's a name for what that situation is, and it's "anarchy."

It's not really an issue with the community understanding the issue, it's an issue with people not understanding why the rules are there. I'm not in the EU, but we deal with some of this here in the US frequently. If someone repeatedly breaks the rules, and is unsafe in what they're doing, then they deserve the threat of fines.

Here is the US, the FAA proposed a fine of $185K. They did it for two reasons. First, he is most definitely an idiot, and fly recklessly and repeatedly inside controlled airspace, and after the Philadelphia (& other) drone communities tried to warn him. Read this: FAA Fines Philadelphia Drone Pilot And Youtuber $184,500

And second, the FAA also tried to warn him. He ignored each and every attempt by them to talk to him about safety. The decided to get his attention by making him an example. Stupidity should hurt monetarily.
You've obviously not been paying attention to our sUAS laws. We have multiple restrictions here, and Remote ID is going to in effect on September 16 of this year for manufacturers, and full compliance for flyers goes into effect on September 16 of 2023.

We also have restrictions on how we can fly in cities. Cities are population centers, and have a high concentration of people and low flying aircraft. We have to exhibit more safety. If something happens, the odds of a person on the ground getting hurt is exponentially higher than if we're flying in rural or unpopulated areas.

We have to be more cautious, and the rules have to be more restrictive. If people had more common sense and acted more adult like, or if people were more educated about the fact that they have an actual aircraft in the sky, we wouldn't need those rules. But since people don't always possess common sense, and frequently act like children instead of adults, we need those rules.

And if people don't follow those rules, then more accidents will happen, and politicians will use that as fodder to attempt more rules, and the press will use them as lead stories to get more viewers. And the general public will see our drones as problem instead of an enjoyable hobby, and an economic engine that drives many business.
And after reading the translated story in one of your other threads, calling the Barcelona drone owner an idiot is an understatement. If that article is true, he deserves that title. And he wasn't fined according to the very article you posted. He wasn't even threatened. The article simply states that EASA has the option to fine him that.
No, that is the perfect example of where idiocy should have consequences.

People need to grow up and realize the world does not revolve around them. Apparently the Barcelona EASA representatives agree. And anyone who flies like that, even with the knowledge they're not supposed to, pretty much deserves what they get.

Every time we fly, we are being an example. We can choose to be a good example, or we can chose to be a poor example.

@Yaros

6. Do not post the same discussion more than once or in more than one forum.

🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98