DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing software

I was perfectly happy with the free version of Resolve, but was SO impressed at what they provided FOR FREE that I felt at some point I owed them, for no substantial functional reason, to some day upgrade to the Studio version just as my way of supporting them. The around a year or so ago, they had a promotion where they sent you FREE "speed editor" (hardware) if you buy a one-time (lifetime) license for Davinci Resolve Studio. $300 for both! So they created another win-win and, depending on how you look at it, BMD upgraded the software when you purchased the editor (though crazily they reversed how it worked). The editor is no joke and is one healthy piece of equipment. The Studio software just adds some bells and whistles and some convenience features. The advanced features (Fusion) are still over my head, but when I have time and head-space I'll certainly make it a point to learn more. But as I said, the basics are no harder or easier on any of titles mentioned in this thread.

Again... Free software that you can keep updating for ever and if you go Studio, only one lifetime license fee.
That is how I end up buying the software. It was so good the free version that I decide get the studio with the speed editor combo for support them. The speed editor is so good quality that I am not sure how they make money.

Check the combo.

Thought I'd add this about Filmora. I started with 9 and recently upgraded to 11. I specifically purchased the lower version rather than the Pro. Not only did I find the layout more user-friendly, but it also felt a lot snappier. It seemed like it took longer in Pro to do the same thing or it was overly complex.

So for anyone looking at new software, it pays to compare versions. More features/functionality doesn't necessarily mean that it's right for your particular workflow.

For me Davinci Resolve is over kill for the average user. Unless you are a professional which many of us are not and just like uploading a video to youtube I find the editors like Filmora will do just about everything needed and the learning curve is very small. I do have Davinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere Pro 2022 but for fast edits where I don't have to search the internet on how to add something to my video I will just use something a little more simple like Filmora.

Filmora will do just about everything needed and the learning curve is very small.
This was a big selling point. I was fairly well-versed in Premiere but I have friends who were starting up a YouTube channel. I was more or less consulting and went with Filmora because after one demo they were already picking up on how to edit their own files. I haven't had to edit any of the footage in months. Literally just a couple of hands-on lessons and they're completely self-sufficient now.

Another Davinci Resolve vote (came from many years of iMovie, but wanted more power). Similar to @vindibona1, I started with the free, but ended up licensing. Well, I cheated just a little: I got in on the “buy a Speed Editor, get a free license” deal. So I either got Resolve, or the Speed Editor, for free.

I also bought a Micro Panel, so I’m pretty much all-in, although I don’t do enough editing to really justify it (I had plans and dreams). Looks like they’ve reduced the price on that, which is nice.

One thing I love about Resolve is that it *scales* incredibly. Meaning, you can just use it to slap together a few cuts and export, or you can do multi-camera editing, color correction and grading, AND sound work all in one package. And yeah, you get 95% of the features for free. Amazing.

For me Davinci Resolve is over kill for the average user. Unless you are a professional which many of us are not and just like uploading a video to youtube I find the editors like Filmora will do just about everything needed and the learning curve is very small. I do have Davinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere Pro 2022 but for fast edits where I don't have to search the internet on how to add something to my video I will just use something a little more simple like Filmora.
I respectfully disagree. Just learn to use the cut page. Only takes a little while and then branch out to different areas when you are ready. Free is a great price and you get an awesome product!

Reactions: mathomas
I respectfully disagree. Just learn to use the cut page. Only takes a little while and then branch out to different areas when you are ready. Free is a great price and you get an awesome product!
Always someone who has a different opinion. You are entitled to yours and I am to mine.
Thanks for sharing yours as I respectfully disagree with yours.

Reactions: Grandpa
I tried a few of the various options and ended up going with Resolve. It is way more than I need, but with the help of YouTube tutorials I've slowly learned to do what I want and even more. Most editing should be cuts, fades, dissolves, titles...in other words 'the basics'. Using fance effects is more of a distraction and to me often looks like someone trying to show off. I've even begun to learn how to adjust color, brightness (a little is good - a lot is too much usually). Editing should support the story we want to tell and not supplant it. Just my opinion.

I used to use Shotcut, which worked just fine - but then I changed to Wondershare Filmora which I personally find even better. I hope that helps.

Hello all|! After months of not having a laptop capable of video editing I now have a new, powerful |Triton 300 which should run most programs! Please could anyone recommend which software is easy to use for me to edit drone videos and upload to Facebook? Not a bit of experience so any help very welcome! Thank you!!
Not to pile on here, but I'll offer another vote for Davinci Resolve. It would take a lifetime to learn all of its features, but only a short time to get started with the basics, and the basics of Resolve are about the same as the basics of all other NLEs. Beyond editing, two of Resolve's most powerful features are its color correcting and sound editing capabilities, both of which are used on major Hollywood and Cable productions. Further, every element in the media management, editing, color correcting, sound editing, and outputting are contained in the one program; no need to switch applications. The application that today is Davinci Resolve used to sell for six figures, but you can now get it in either a free (most features) or paid (one time, all features) version for $300. Frequent updates, too.

Reactions: Pile and Grandpa
I may be the exception here, but I am used to Sony Vegas Pro since they made that program available, and before they got bought by Magix. Now I am at the Vegas Pro 18 version and still like it (they have the Pro 19 out now), if it wasn't for the random crashes that the program unfortunately still encounter. I have tried Davinci Resolve, but I didn't really enjoyed how the workflow worked in it, and it was very confusing to use, so I came back to Vegas for now. :cool:

Reactions: SethB
Another Davinci Resolve vote (came from many years of iMovie, but wanted more power). Similar to @vindibona1, I started with the free, but ended up licensing. Well, I cheated just a little: I got in on the “buy a Speed Editor, get a free license” deal. So I either got Resolve, or the Speed Editor, for free.

I also bought a Micro Panel, so I’m pretty much all-in, although I don’t do enough editing to really justify it (I had plans and dreams). Looks like they’ve reduced the price on that, which is nice.

One thing I love about Resolve is that it *scales* incredibly. Meaning, you can just use it to slap together a few cuts and export, or you can do multi-camera editing, color correction and grading, AND sound work all in one package. And yeah, you get 95% of the features for free. Amazing.
They're making their money selling the professional level panels designed for their software.

They're making their money selling the professional level panels designed for their software.
Yes, for sure. They are amazing. I have the micro grading panel (though I don’t really deserve it), and it is super nice.

There is so many editing softwares available for free, it's crazy.
I'm professional editor all the way from beta sp, even umatic standard... Yeah I'm a bit old😅
So... Premier, Vegas, Davinci, Edius (oh I LOVE that software), Final Cut... That's all professional editing software. It's all about user wich he prefer. Davinci have maybe the best color correction ever and you have free option.
On the other hand, Shotcut, Filmora, even VN for mobiles... Easy to learn, free and at the end- with all capabilities average user will need.
Last thing... Learn about theory of editing, software is just a tool and anybody can use it, but (too) many times they mess with some golden rules of editing

Tried to use DaVince Resolve but it crashes on my PC.
So I'm looking for something else

Shotcut. Simple, easy, 4K capable, free
If Davinci Resolve is crashing your PC, you probably do not have an appropriate video card for video editing.
I may be wrong but in my experience most cases this happens when you have an onboard CPU/GPU card like the Intel built into the CPU.

Also, a possibility is that your computer is missing video drivers.

Windows​

Now, let’s take a peep at the system requirements if you’re using Windows:

• Windows 10 Creators Update
  • 16 GB of system memory
  • 32 GB of memory if you plan on using Fusion
  • Blackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.4.1 or later
  • Integrated GPU or discrete GPU with at least 2GB of VRAM
  • GPU which supports OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 11 – ( I had to look up CUDA)
  • NVIDIA/AMD/Intel GPU Driver version – as required by your GPU
  • A minimum NVIDIA driver version of 451.82 is recommended (if you’re not sure what driver version you have, follow along NVIDIA’s instructions to find out)

Reactions: Ty Pilot
If Davinci Resolve is crashing your PC, you probably do not have an appropriate video card for video editing.
I may be wrong but in my experience most cases this happens when you have an onboard CPU/GPU card like the Intel built into the CPU.

Also, a possibility is that your computer is missing video drivers.

Windows​

Now, let’s take a peep at the system requirements if you’re using Windows:

• Windows 10 Creators Update
  • 16 GB of system memory
  • 32 GB of memory if you plan on using Fusion
  • Blackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.4.1 or later
  • Integrated GPU or discrete GPU with at least 2GB of VRAM
  • GPU which supports OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 11 – ( I had to look up CUDA)
  • NVIDIA/AMD/Intel GPU Driver version – as required by your GPU
  • A minimum NVIDIA driver version of 451.82 is recommended (if you’re not sure what driver version you have, follow along NVIDIA’s instructions to find out)
Windows 10
intel I7
16gb ram
500gb SSD
NVidia 840a latest driver update from a few days ago 512.95

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member