Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing software

Windows 10
intel I7
16gb ram
500gb SSD
NVidia 840a latest driver update from a few days ago 512.95
Unfraternally with 2G of video memory you are not going to be able to do much. You need at least 4GB-6GB of video memory as a minimum.

Try to upgrade the GPU with something like this with the same computer. (as a minimum)

But if you ask me and you can afford it, get a 3070 Ti or Even a 3080 Ti (Is a Beast). The 3090 and 3090 Ti are the king but they are over $1700

Obviously you are new to video editing as I was 18 months+ ago. I had messed around with some "simple" video editors and never quite got them. So before I delve into my recommendation I'm going to share my basic discoveries:
1) THE BASICS OF EDITING ARE ALL PRETTY MUCH ON THE SAME LEARNING CURVE REGARDLESS OF WHICH PROGRAM YOU CHOOSE.
2) Once you get started on one program and learn it's protocols it can be a little painful to switch to another.

And so the above realizations are why I use and recommend Davinci Resolve. Some folks say it's complicated and difficult to learn. But in my experience the BASICS are no more difficult than any other video editor and maybe easier than some. I struggled with Microsoft Movie Maker and couldn't even master the basics. There were one two other's I'd tried but got frustrated with. But with Davinci Resolve, learning the basics (IMO) can be a snap because of the 100's of free tutorials out there that just touch on certain areas. With no (digital) video experience at all, I received my first drone, a Mini 1 at the very end of June, 2020 and by July 15th I had shot, edited and completed my first 3 minute drone video, having made multiple editing revisions.... and I never looked back.

Other reasons for choosing Davinci Resolve?

1) It is FULL featured (so you can grow into it rather than out of it).
2) IT IS FREE!
3) The basics are a snap to learn once you learn where the controls are just like you would with ANY video editor.
4) Never need to upgrade (though there is a paid "studio version" with if you want to go super-pro).
5) This editor (in the studio version) is used a lot in Hollywood.
6) Davinci competes head-to-head with Adobe Premier Pro, but without picking your pocket every month.
7) Again, TONS of tutorials addressing anything and everything from basics to super advanced.

And that's my recommendation
Hey! Much like OP, I'm new and dove into editing---landed with DaVinci and love it, like you're saying. However I just ran into the snag of DaVinci not taking D-Cinelike formats---do you know of a program that will let me edit and color grade D-Cinelike, or better yet--a way to use D-Cinelike formats on DaVinci?

D-Cinelike is no problem for Resolve on my system. I have the paid version. If you don’t, that may be the issue. Resolve free won’t edit 10-bit footage, eithe.

D-Cinelike is no problem for Resolve on my system. I have the paid version. If you don’t, that may be the issue. Resolve free won’t edit 10-bit footage, eithe.
Are you sure? It’s not that I don’t believe you but I shot with the free version for several months with my Mavic 2Pro in D-log H.265 and never had an issue. I can’t confirm or deny ability to edit 10 bit D-cínelike as I went to the studio version during the time when they offered the same editor for free with studio upgrade purchase.

Hey! Much like OP, I'm new and dove into editing---landed with DaVinci and love it, like you're saying. However I just ran into the snag of DaVinci not taking D-Cinelike formats---do you know of a program that will let me edit and color grade D-Cinelike, or better yet--a way to use D-Cinelike formats on DaVinci?
D-Cinelike is usable in the free version of Resolve, you just either need to buy a 3rd party LUT or make one of your own and save your settings. Not all D-Cinelike footage is 10 bit, that I'm not sure if the free version will color grade or not since my Air 2 only shoots 8 bit.

There are two things that I didn't quite understand: 1) when you shoot in D-cinelike it automatically puts you in 10 bit. 2) I didn't realize that Davinci standard didn't edit 10 bit color, something I didn't have to contend with. My memory is short, but I never had an issue with footage from my Mavic 2 pro but my memory is short and I was oblivious to whether I was in 8 or 10 bit. What I can't remember without looking is if D-Log., which I shot in regularly gave me a choice to shoot in 8 or 10 bit. I'll have to defer to others, but now know that D-Cinelike is automatially 10 bit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.32.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.32.50 PM.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 3
There are two things that I didn't quite understand: 1) when you shoot in D-cinelike it automatically puts you in 10 bit. 2) I didn't realize that Davinci standard didn't edit 10 bit color, something I didn't have to contend with. My memory is short, but I never had an issue with footage from my Mavic 2 pro but my memory is short and I was oblivious to whether I was in 8 or 10 bit. What I can't remember without looking is if D-Log., which I shot in regularly gave me a choice to shoot in 8 or 10 bit. I'll have to defer to others, but now know that D-Cinelike is automatially 10 bit.
I'm not sure that "D-Cinelike" is automatically ten bit.
I know that D-Cinelike is NOT a log CODEC.
I'm not yet sure how to invoke ten bit video on my Mini 3
I do know that Resolve "Studio" will edit ten bit video. I have not tried it.
I do know that Resolve "Free" will not edit ten bit CODECs
I do know that Resolve Studio will edit D-Cinelike.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun