DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing Software

AcesupZ

Reactions
Hi All!

I'm looking for some suggestions on editing software with limitations. I have a Surface 3, 4GB Ram. I have tried using Adobe Premiere, DaVinci, and others and my device just can't seem to handle the software. It's extremely slow and sluggish and essentially useless.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try and use?

Much appreciated!

Davinci requires a decent GPU and, as you found, will not work on your Surface. I actually built a new computer just so I could use Davinci going forward. The Surface video card is good, but it does not have enough RAM to support playback efficiently.

That being said, until I built my new computer, all I used for editing was my Surface Book and Adobe Premiere Pro. I did have to create proxy files when working with 4k video, but it worked pretty well - a little stutter from time to time, but definitely usable.

Reactions: Vasek
Edius has a 30 day trial so you can test out performance.

Virtualdub can do simple stuff, and if you are using SSD then you could take the camera files and use Xmedia Recode to convert them to hufyuv format so that your editor doesn't use CPU to work with the video. Plus its all free that way.

I'm using Da Vinci Resolve.
Good interface but takes a bit of learning. The PDF manual is nearly 1300 pages long!!
Runs well on my MSI Gaming laptop.
Would like to get the full programme but pennies a bit short ATM.

Had to eventually build new pc with nvidia quadro. Resolve is great & free and if you want to edit 4k you have to have respective hw..

I will leave it to the editing pros on here to confirm, but I think your Surface is a bit underpowered for editing these HD videos.

I bought an IMac and it made a big difference from the 3 year old machine I previously had.

If you end up going apple, I Movie is free, and very easy to use.

GoPro Studio It's quick and easy

I used GoPro studio a lot for editing my go pro camera footage but stopped about a year ago. For me, it was crashing a lot so I finally gave up on it. But I know there have been some software updates since then, so perhaps it is now more stable.

It is a good format to start for a beginner, easy, and free.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000