DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing Video Software {Range Rover vs VW Bug

RickinWaST

Reactions
Preface:
1) I'm a first time drone owner (MSP) of about 3 weeks and have flown twice. Yes, I still need maneuvering practice before shooting video.

(2) No background in video editing; yet today...

(3) Completed an iMovie tutorial {Lynda.com via my local library which gives me free premium access = Exercise videos to go along with the courses.) It was basic, but feel I could produce an entry-level video w/background music.

(4) I don't see myself produce near-pro quality videos and don't feel the need for every bell-&-whistle.

(5) I have a strong still camera landscaping/PS CC background.

(6)
Not interesting in Adobe Premiere. Resolve 16, I believe, would require powerful upgraded computer.

(7) Do I stay with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-in laptop.)? Will a iPad perform better? Which software?

My next tutorial will be on the free download version of FinalCut Pro X.

Welcome your veteran experience thoughts.

~ Much Thanks ~

Last edited:
Reactions: DaithiInJapan
ChrisOutdoors...

Hmm, I don't feel that way. There's so much I don't know about video editing software. The only way I can somewhat find the right path is to work through what free software tutorials as I can. Like I pointed out, my situation is like the 3 bears story. Which one is just right?

Would like to know how you intend to edit 4K video on a Macbook Pro

As above looks like you have made your mind up so no good suggesting stuff...

Preface:
1) I'm a first time drone owner (MSP) of about 3 weeks and have flown twice. Yes, I still need maneuvering practice before shooting video.

(2) No background in video editing; yet today...

(3) Completed an iMovie tutorial {Lynda.com via my local library which gives me free premium access = Exercise videos to go along with the courses.) It was basic, but feel I could produce an entry-level video w/background music.

(4) I don't see myself produce near-pro quality videos and don't feel the need for every bell-&-whistle.

(5) I have a strong still camera landscaping/PS CC background.

(6)
Not interesting in Adobe Premiere. Resolve 16, I believe, would require powerful upgraded computer.

(7) Do I stay with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-in laptop.)? Will a iPad perform better? Which software?

My next tutorial will be on the free download version of FinalCut Pro X.

Welcome your veteran experience thoughts.

~ Much Thanks ~

Bear with me here! I actually signed up to this forum to ask about video saved on SD card being of lower quality than the cached files in the phone I attach to my controller when I came across your posting.

I'll be honest with you, the Adobe Pro and Resolve have very steep learning curves so if you're not looking for all the bells and whistles simple free software will do the job. Also, you don't need to be shooting in 4K all the time, or ever, if you so wish! That just adds complications and expense (I'm probably going to fork out that expense in the near future though!).

In terms of editing your video materials into something that's pleasing to the eye and impressive to the viewer, you could use your computer with the software provided, iMovie - which is a great piece of kit to have for quick and dirty video editing, or you could purchase relatively inexpensive software which gives more options than the free apps/software available.

As I said, my reason for joining this forum was to ask a question but I'm answering yours! If you want to use nice software that is extremely versatile and not at all expensive on your phone or tablet you can't go wrong with LumaFusion. It allows up to 12 layers across video and sound, has all kinds of editing features, can utilize "the cloud", is filling up YouTube with tutorials and only costs 3,600 Yen (sorry, I only think of money in Japanese and don't know what that equates to in dollars, euros, or pounds). I pretty much edit all my cached files using this piece of software on my phone or tablet (the Apple varieties) and people seem to like them. I've got a little channel on youtube (Daithi O Donoghue) with some of the videos I've edited with this software which you're more than welcome to take a look at. They're not great, but they're not bad either.

Final words: enjoy your drone, enjoy your editing and, don't worry about being professional level great at editing because, the truth is, most people don't really worry about that kind of thing if my experiences are anything to go by.

Good luck and fly safe!

I have tried many video editors and what I have found is that Resolve . and Adobe indeed do have a huge learning curve.
Filmora is fine along with with Movavi but I finally decided on Final Cut, started with Imovie with a simpler learning curve and quite powerful also, and free if you have a Mac, then went to Final Cut which the transformation to Final Cut was very easy.
Final Cut . is much more powerful and is used in the Industry.
If you are not editing professionally then I say Imovie

Now that we have Jadeveon and Ziggy you can get almost any kind of editing software and be good to go.

Let me reply to some of the comments. Remember, I'm at the starting line in understanding video editing w/only 1 completed iMovie tutorial. Just a beginner the free version of FCPX.

<> You seem to have your mind made up.
No, I do not. Trying to determine which software will work for me. I would like to use a device, iPad or MacPro Retina, 15-inch, because I have something I can travel with and edit. I also have a desktop PC.

<> Would like to know how you intend to edit 4K video on a Macbook Pro.
From my research, it can be done. Am I incorrect? Then again, is it necessary (Depending on one's needs.) to always edit in 4K?

<> As I said, my reason for joining this forum was to ask a question but I'm answering yours!
Thank you DaithilnJapan for your comments. LumaFusion is a possibility. I know it will on a iPad Pro 9.7" A1675 w/128GB, but *how well* is yet to me determined. The main issue is understanding whether or not I can copy video from the M2P onto a SSD/HD and then import it into LumaFusion? I've yet to verify "...all media that you import into LumaVision needs to be stored on your IOS device in order to edit it." I'll do some searching "LumaFusion" in the forum to get some feedback from those that use it.

<> Why not use window's movie maker...
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at the system requirements for the PC/MacBook Pro.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1