DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Email Reply from DJI regarding Advanced RTH Concerns

Lasidora

Reactions
Emailed DJI Support a few days back outlining my concerns regarding the non negotiable Advanced Return To Home setup with the latest Mavic 3 model, here is there reply, take special note of the bit describing how the craft WILL DIVE TO THE GROUND during this procedure, bloody hell, was nervous enough about this before the reply.

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Good day. Hope you are doing well.

On behalf of DJI, I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced. I know this is very inconvenient for you and surely, this is not the kind of situation you're expecting here.

In regards to the Advanced RTH, the aircraft generates a map by using vision sensors and automatically plan a RTH route to return to the Home Point. When the ratio of (RTH altitude minus 10 meters) and straight-line distance from the aircraft and Home Point is 1:3, the aircraft will dive towards the ground, and when it reaches 10 meters above the Home Point, the aircraft will land. The aircraft can avoid obstacles during Power Saving RTH. The planned path will be displayed in the map of the app and adjusted in real time based on the current operating environment. DJI Mavic 3 has a maximum forward-sensing distance of 200 meters during RTH. During flight, Mavic 3 will 3D map the surrounding environment in real time by using vision systems and use this map to determine the safest, most energy-efficient flight route to return the drone to its home point. Please refer to the information below. Also, please be advised that DJI Mavic 3 will only work with the DJI Fly app.

RTH M3.png

Emailed DJI Support a few days back outlining my concerns regarding the non negotiable Advanced Return To Home setup with the latest Mavic 3 model, here is there reply, take special note of the bit describing how the craft WILL DIVE TO THE GROUND during this procedure, bloody hell, was nervous enough about this before the reply.

Dear Anthony,

On behalf of DJI, I extend my sincere apologies for the issues that you have experienced. I know this is very inconvenient for you and surely, this is not the kind of situation you're expecting here.

In regards to the Advanced RTH, the aircraft generates a map by using vision sensors and automatically plan a RTH route to return to the Home Point. When the ratio of (RTH altitude minus 10 meters) and straight-line distance from the aircraft and Home Point is 1:3, the aircraft will dive towards the ground, and when it reaches 10 meters above the Home Point, the aircraft will land. The aircraft can avoid obstacles during Power Saving RTH. The planned path will be displayed in the map of the app and adjusted in real time based on the current operating environment. DJI Mavic 3 has a maximum forward-sensing distance of 200 meters during RTH. During flight, Mavic 3 will 3D map the surrounding environment in real time by using vision systems and use this map to determine the safest, most energy-efficient flight route to return the drone to its home point. Please refer to the information below. Also, please be advised that DJI Mavic 3 will only work with the DJI Fly app.

View attachment 138989
It would be incredibly helpful for someone (either with Care Refresh or money to burn) would be willing to test this in difficult conditions (a forest, among buildings, places with wires etc.). I'd personally really like to see how it performs, and if it does well, then I might have more faith in the Advanced RTH system.

I created this video testing.
Check the minute 21:50 seconds that I call RTH from under the trees and see what the drone did.

• Love
Reactions: God Is Love
So it looks like during Advanced RTH, it won't go through an obstacle but it won't find the path Home by itself either.

Seemed to try to go through the same branches.

BTW, during normal flight, will it automatically avoid crashes or just throws up warnings for you to correct course?

I wonder how well it would detect power or telephone lines in its path.

I will try to test that. In the test I never corrected unless was stocked.

Dear Anthony,

View attachment 138989
That's a pathetic response from DJI.
They are ignoring your concern and their solution is suggesting you read the manual.
Being forced yo accept automated processes and not having the option to use the simpler, tried and true old-fashioned method is just another reason why the M3 is not a professional drone.
Professionals like to have options to control their working tools rather than have the tools dictate the operation for them.

Reactions: Point Zero
That's a pathetic response from DJI.
They are ignoring your concern and their solution is suggesting you read the manual.
Being forced yo accept automated processes and not having the option to use the simpler, tried and true old-fashioned method is just another reason why the M3 is not a professional drone.
Professionals like to have options to control their working tools rather than have the tools dictate the operation for them.
Except that no one is forced to use RTH, which traditionally is a failsafe mechanism - not part of a "professional" workflow. The RTH methodology has changed steadily with the development of OA systems, and has never been fully under user control. This looks to me just like another step in that process. I'd like to see whether it actually causes any problems in use before condemning it.

Reactions: ssvdh66
Except that no one is forced to use RTH, which traditionally is a failsafe mechanism - not part of a "professional" workflow. The RTH methodology has changed steadily with the development of OA systems, and has never been fully under user control. This looks to me just like another step in that process. I'd like to see whether it actually causes any problems in use before condemning it.
"Traditionally" is a good way to put it, and if the new method becomes problematic, it shouldn't take long for examples to show up in videos and forums. Personally, I hope to see DJI add options they have already developed.

For example, there are two features I find useful in the FPV and Mini 2. The FPV's use of the "H" on-screen to signify the home point helps if you have lost your bearings and/or visual sight of the drone.

In the case of the Mini 2, a minor update earlier this year allows the pilot to take yaw control of the drone during RTH. I love this feature as it offers more control over video and photo options while the drone retains its flight path home.

Point being, they have developed useful and safe methods to augment ways to bring the drone back, and continued feedback on use cases and how these differentiate from other platforms may give DJI reason to incorporate traditional and additional RTH options into future releases. That would seemingly be expected from a "flagship" platform.

But in the end, I suspect that anyone who plans to utilize the Mavic 3 in a professional capacity will expect to have as much manual control over their system as practical. It's difficult to replace experience with faith.

Reactions: maven4336
While reading this stuff is one of the reasons I haven’t pulled the trigger on buying the Mavic three but I like the last line this guy says about experience in faith because he’s right one thing I’m curious I’m always ready with my finger to hit the pause button when I do use returned home if anything looks goofy when it gets close to me I just pause it and stop they returned home I haven’t heard anyone mention please someone tell me that there’s a pause button on that big funky controller they sell with the Mavic three I know the smart controller has it but does the original controller have it?

The "big funky controller" is the same RC-N1 controller that DJI supply with the entry level DJI Mini 2.
Talk about throwing most Mavic 3 buyers a curve ball like that. Its a bit of a cheap shot to know when you purchase a $2000 drone you will be getting the same controller buyers of a $400 drone will get! What are you doing DJI?

I wonder if anyone noticed the phrase "Power Saving RTH" in DJI's response. To be clear, my Mavic Air 2 had this 2 years ago, called "Power Saving RTH and Land", but because the Vision system was less capable, it worked differently. From the User Manual:

Smart RTH includes Straight Line RTH and Power Saving RTH (Return to Home and Land).

Power Saving RTH (Return to Home and Land) Procedure:

During Straight Line RTH, if the distance is farther than 400 m and the altitude is more than 90 m higher than the RTH altitude as well as more than 290 m higher than the home point, a prompt appears in DJI Fly asking the user if they wish to enter Return to Home and Land in order to save power.

After selecting Return to Home
and Land, the aircraft calculates the best angle (16.7° horizontally) and flies to the home point. When the aircraft
reaches 200 m above the home point or RTH altitude, it lands and the motors stop.

The aircraft exits from Return to Home and Land and enter Straight Line RTH in the following scenarios:
1. if the pitch stick is pulled backward.
2. if the remote controller signal is lost. 3. if the Vision Systems become
unavailable.

SmartSelect_20211223-204257_Drive.jpg

I never met the requirements for this specialized RTH, but I find it interesting how everyone is discussing the latest one, but perhaps unaware that DJI was experimenting with this for years.

Of course "Power Saving RTH and Land not only could be defeated in the 3 ways listed, but would never even activate without the user specifically responding to a prompt. Some version of that optional activation would go a long way towards easing some of the grumbling in the customer base.

Well said. See my post above this. My take is people don't want to put the drone at risk testing new technology on their equipment. If DJI has confidence in it, they may be reluctant to offer a defeat for one reason. I suspect a defeat button would simply cause most users to shut it off and never benefit from it. Sort of comical in a community that considers its self bleeding edge tech warriors. But there are many drone pilots that never touch any autonomous flight tools. Tools. For them, DJI simply needs to offer a big "Old School Drone Pilot" button. You know, for the old codgers like me, but instead of flying a year, they learned to fly in "the early days of drone flight" Way back 6, 8, even 10 years ago out at Kitty Hawk in the Bi-winged Drones. 😆 🤣 😂

• Haha
Reactions: polywogfpv
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ