DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Embarrassed to fly.

c64-dev

Reactions
Hi all.

I tried to find similar topics but couldn't come up with anything relevant. I am a relative newbie when it comes to flying UAVs but I'm facing a bit of an akward problem: I am embarrassed to fly my drone in public.

I have read all the various topics about people being afraid (and with good reason) to put their hard earned cash up in the air, but I am not so much afraid of losing the drone as shy.

I try to avoid taking off around other people, but living in a big city this cannot be avoided even in a big field/park/beachfront. I never deliberately fly over people but the mere act of opening up the drone bag and setting up the aircraft to fly makes me feel overly self-conscious.

I've never had any bad experiences with people confronting me or whatever. In fact quite the opposite; people have been happily curious to see a drone fly around, and always went away with a big smile on their face when I showed them the view from above, but still I feel embarrassed. (Must be my inner Finn shrieking in horror!) ?

Does this happen to anyone else?

I was that way when I started flying my Spark in 2017, but now I don't even think about it.

Like the tag line of Nike products state...

Just do it. ?

The awkwardness you feel will get less the more you fly.
Someone once posted they feel as if they are doing something wrong / bad every time they fly but couldn’t think of a reason why.
I live in the English lake district & can be miles from anywhere but as soon as my drone leaves the ground someone will appear as if by magic, I tell them I will talk when I land as I want to concentrate on flying.

So glad to see that I'm not the only one feeling awkward when flying around people. Cyborg you nailed it right on the head; even though I haven't had bad encounters I can't help but feel like I'm doing something bad everytime I unpack the drone. It was actually one of the reasons I decided to give up the Phantom; putting down the case, setting up the bird to fly and going through the whole pre-flight checklist was uncomfortable to say the least.

Hi all.

I tried to find similar topics but couldn't come up with anything relevant. I am a relative newbie when it comes to flying UAVs but I'm facing a bit of an akward problem: I am embarrassed to fly my drone in public.

I have read all the various topics about people being afraid (and with good reason) to put their hard earned cash up in the air, but I am not so much afraid of losing the drone as shy.

I try to avoid taking off around other people, but living in a big city this cannot be avoided even in a big field/park/beachfront. I never deliberately fly over people but the mere act of opening up the drone bag and setting up the aircraft to fly makes me feel overly self-conscious.

I've never had any bad experiences with people confronting me or whatever. In fact quite the opposite; people have been happily curious to see a drone fly around, and always went away with a big smile on their face when I showed them the view from above, but still I feel embarrassed. (Must be my inner Finn shrieking in horror!) ?

Social anxiety at its finest. Welcome to the club. Buy mini 2 and just do it, step by step.

I think the issue of flying with other people around is the curiosity of the drone. Everyone has questions of how and why. The toughest part is concentrating on the flying. That's the reason I avoid people when flying.

Reactions: dozzn and CheriW
Some things that helped me get past feelings like this.

Gaining Confidence in my skills and better technology I really hated the SPIN you had to do to calibrate the drone , that was awful. It was like a dance to let everyone know I was a on drugs and I disliked it very much.

Now I no longer do that thanks to the new technology in the new drones not requiring me to do that.

I also started off flying from Inside the Car this is
#1 method to keep privacy and allow you to get comfortable with your drone .

Knowing you can get your drone up in just a few Minutes also helps , the faster you get it up and out the less you will bother people with the loud sound .

You can also set you Return to Home Point to your Controller so don't feel trapped having to stand in one spot and causally walk away when needed to keep you distance .

To this day , I prefer flying from the car or staying close to it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly our Mavic in the RAIN and Land on the Water.

Hi all.

Hey Nick. Yep, same here. 3 reasons why... 1-I 've got autism (too many people is too difficult for me) 2-I fly heli also, and people will come too close to the rotorblades. 3-drone props are also sharp. On the other side, people most often like to see what I am doing, and are interested. I don't mind that at all, and am very willing to explain, but nearly everytime they
ask:"Can I try?" Uhm, Nope, Sorry.
Bart.

Reactions: c64-dev
I understand completely. I work on the basis I dont want to annoy anyone and so thats why i will sometimes not take it out when i thought i might.

I think in general people do still see these as intrusive especially around houses ....

definately agree the best thing is to get it up high in the air asap though and then nobody knows it is there .

I fell ya! I do believe with experience confidence is gained and confidence (not over-confident) will help in these feelings. Keep on flying!

Agree with all the above comments- the more you do it the easier it seems to feel. Confidence in the ability to control the drone helps I think.
I’ve only had my Mini 2 for a few months and I was very uneasy every time I took the drone out if there was anybody at all around, feeling like I was immediately doing something wrong.

So far I’ve only had a handful of people mention the drone, or ask me about it, and it has all been positive which helps I suppose! As long as you know you are following the rules and can control the drone, I’d say there’s nothing to worry about- and that’s coming from someone who often cares a little too much about what others think!

I also do similar to what Gkinghrn mentioned- as soon as the drone is ready I shoot straight up in the air ASAP... feels a bit better once it’s up and away!

I always felt 'Shy or awkward' when I used to fly my kites until I became very proficient, flying my MP or mini is a lot easier near others because they don't have 25-30m lines attached, until this post came up I hadn't thought about it, it will get a lot easier as you progress.

Reactions: c64-dev and RMS001
Hi all.

Newbie jitters. We all had that. Once you start flying - A LOT - then you WANT to fly the drone ALL the time. I do!

As long as your "respectful" of where you are and others in the area - let it go and FLY.

Hi all.

Most of Problems with flying my Drone around People is letting them see you take off! Usually when that happens, they sit around and watch you or bug you with Questions!

Well for one thing...Preaching alert!
I am a relative newbie when it comes to flying UAVs but I'm facing a bit of an akward problem: I am embarrassed to fly my drone in public.
I would say that's a good thing. If you're not confident yet for gawds sake don't fly around people. Seriously though, situational awareness is key and that mean's no people..no matter how cool you think your drone is. The last thing a pilot does before hitting the switch is, in the loudest voice possible, ...yell CLEAR!
I know it's pretty graphic but I've always pointed out to my students ..The last thing you ever want to see is body parts coming up over the cowling.
That's not necessary with drones because you're outside and you have nothing to obstruct your view but these pages are full of reports of .."my drone took off and flew straight into a tree.

Hi all.

Although I don't suffer from the embarrassment factor I can understand how you feel. If you can push through the initial start up there can be a great sense of pride flying the drone as most men like to be boys with toys and will be slightly envious of you. Ladies fly drones too but lads really love gadgets. As long as you look like you are preparing your drone for take off very few will notice any errors you may make. Please ladies do not take offense to my boys with toys reference.

The last thing a pilot does before hitting the switch is, in the loudest voice possible, ...yell CLEAR!

Yes sir!

I can't agree more. ?

I feel you. As much as possible i fly my mini away from people but sometime I can’t and just be ready to answer people politely when they ask about the drone. Thanks and enjoy flying

Reactions: c64-dev
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078