DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Embarrassing Mavic 3 Crash

singram

Reactions
Unfreaking believable, LOL! So since the weather was finally halfway decent yesterday, I took the day of work to do nothing but fly drones. After burning thru 2 batteries on both the Mini and the Mavic 3 and getting a ton of river architecture vids, I sat down on a park bench and started packing everything up to head home. Halfway thru folding the Mavic up, it slipped out of my hands and somehow completely missed landing safely on the soft ground from just 3 feet up. It instead managed to land on the 6"x6" cement pad anchoring the bench down right smack on the bolt head shattering the rear facing collision sensor. That aside, the body is also scuffed up pretty bad and when the drone attempts to connect to the controller it gives an "ESC Error".

I'm typically one to repair my own things, but in this particular case, especially given that error I've decided to send it to DJI for a quote. Oh speaking of- my Refresh Plan expired last week, fml. I I sent my Mini 2 to DJI for repairs after a user error crash a couple years ago and was actually pleasantly surprised at the cost and turn-around time.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I shared. Maybe someone else is on the fence on weather or not to send their damaged drone to DJI for repair. I'll update this thread on the repair cost and overall experience.

IMG_0880.jpeg

They won’t repair it. You’ll get a new one. Just sent them a P4 Pro V2 controller. They said it had a bad rear port board. Brand new one arrived in place of the old one.
Very common for them to just replace. I’d like to know where all the repairable pieces end up.

Reactions: BigAl07
We are sorry to hear of your accident. Especially your Care Refresh plan expiring. It could easily happen to any one of us.... especially clumsy me. At 71 I'm starting to become all thumbs. Maybe DJI will show some mercy. Best wishes for a pleasant outcome.

Reactions: Dronecation
Folding and unfolding has become a delicate matter because you don't want to stress the arms or the camera gimbal so I try to only do this when I am in the car, preferably seated. This is mostly likely when it will be dropped as you rotate the drone so I try to do it on or near the ground. This includes changing the battery.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Folding and unfolding has become a delicate matter because you don't want to stress the arms or the camera gimbal so I try to only do this when I am in the car, preferably seated. This is mostly likely when it will be dropped as you rotate the drone so I try to do it on or near the ground. This includes changing the battery.
Good advise.

They won’t repair it. You’ll get a new one. Just sent them a P4 Pro V2 controller. They said it had a bad rear port board. Brand new one arrived in place of the old one.
Very common for them to just replace. I’d like to know where all the repairable pieces end up.
Yeah, they just replaced my Mini 2 which given the amount of damage was the best outcome. Oddly enough though, they still itemized and quoted me for the parts "replaced". No complaints, just thought it was odd.

Reactions: Glenh
We are sorry to hear of your accident. Especially your Care Refresh plan expiring. It could easily happen to any one of us.... especially clumsy me. At 71 I'm starting to become all thumbs. Maybe DJI will show some mercy. Best wishes for a pleasant outcome.
Thanks for that Michael! Yeah, mercy would be nice, but either way is fine. Cost of doing business, I suppose.

Unfreaking believable, LOL! So since the weather was finally halfway decent yesterday, I took the day of work to do nothing but fly drones. After burning thru 2 batteries on both the Mini and the Mavic 3 and getting a ton of river architecture vids, I sat down on a park bench and started packing everything up to head home. Halfway thru folding the Mavic up, it slipped out of my hands and somehow completely missed landing safely on the soft ground from just 3 feet up. It instead managed to land on the 6"x6" cement pad anchoring the bench down right smack on the bolt head shattering the rear facing collision sensor. That aside, the body is also scuffed up pretty bad and when the drone attempts to connect to the controller it gives an "ESC Error".

I'm typically one to repair my own things, but in this particular case, especially given that error I've decided to send it to DJI for a quote. Oh speaking of- my Refresh Plan expired last week, fml. I I sent my Mini 2 to DJI for repairs after a user error crash a couple years ago and was actually pleasantly surprised at the cost and turn-around time.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I shared. Maybe someone else is on the fence on weather or not to send their damaged drone to DJI for repair. I'll update this thread on the repair cost and overall experience.

View attachment 172805
Best of Luck to you on your repairs.

You will be pleasantly surprised about the repair fees. They are not punitive and it's a quick turn around on your replacement. It will all work out well in the end.

Mistakes happen. Sorry man, I've done that myself a few times now.

Reactions: redserv
To avoid folding the drone arms regularly, I purchased a case that lets you put the drone in the case unfolded. Makes for easier quick take offs as well, when needed...

From what I understand, you're not getting back a new device, it's a refurbished one repaired "like new". You can check the SN and see when it was manufactured on DJI website DJI

Sorry about that slip-up, singram. Stuff happens; it’s happened to me and will probably happen again. Hopefully, all will work out fine. Enjoy safe and happy flying!

From what I understand, you're not getting back a new device, it's a refurbished one repaired "like new". You can check the SN and see when it was manufactured on DJI website DJI
I’m not in agreement one this particular piece. Per DJI search doesn’t show ANY repair history.

To avoid folding the drone arms regularly, I purchased a case that lets you put the drone in the case unfolded. Makes for easier quick take offs as well, when needed...

You guys got it easy. I have to disassemble the arm joint, desolder from the main board and then store each arm in its own custom latching case that I designed on Fusion 360 and 3D printed.

I have to do all this because... engineer 🤣

View attachment 172805
Send it in. Not worth the risk of flying damaged or not quite repaired

I had a great experience with DJI repair last year, I’d certainly have no issues sending it for at least an estimate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman