DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emergency procedure

YngveN

Reactions
Flying a drone for commercial purposes in Norway demands that you have a checklist for emergency procedure.

Having not seen this any other place I thought I would try to put something together. Any help and inputs are most welcome

The rules are not very specific, but states that the emergency procedure should include an action plan if you experience visual and electronic contact with the AC

This is what I have come up with so far:

Emergency procedure

In case of loss of control/flyaway

Warn any individuals in vicinity if possible
Keep visual contact with ac as long as possible
Consider using CSC to stop props, to avoid damage should it hit someone

In case loss of visual contact with aircraft
Check if any other individual have visual of ac
Consider increasing altitude to clear known obstacles
Focus on the video stream and navigate ac home
Use map/radar to manually fly ac home
Engage Home lock and use pitch stick backwards to fly ac home
Yaw ac so that "nose" is pointing in flight direction to help guide it home and to make it possible for OA to kick in if needed.
Engage RTH

In case of loss of radio contact with AC
Focus on visual contact and track the drone to determine it's location
If possible get others to help as spotters
Try to realign antennas to regain contact
Try relocating RC to regain contact (move to higher ground or closer to AC)
Wait for RTH to engage and aircraft to return

If aircraft does not return use "Find my drone" function in Go app to try to locate it.

In case of loss of visual and radio contact with aircraft
Try to realign antennas to regain contact
Try relocating RC to regain contact (move to higher ground or closer to AC)
Wait for RTH to engage and aircraft to return

If aircraft does not return use "Find my drone" function in Go app to try to locate it.

In case of loss of GPS/ac going into ATTI mode
Keep visual contact with AC and fly home manually
Focus on the video stream and navigate ac home
Use map/radar to manually fly ac home

Recovery situation
If ac is "lost" in known location, make sure it is safe to attempt recovery.
Consider getting assistance if location is deemed inaccessible or unsafe.

In case of injury
Have a small medical kit available
Know where the nearest medical facility is located

Last edited:
Good points. thanks for sharing.. I have a couple of thoughts that might contribute.

0) Have a plan if a manned aircraft is heard or seen nearby. Know under what conditions you will land or otherwise try to avoid the other aircraft, and where you will land.

1) I would not recommend using CSC on a falling drone because that removes any chance of the motors breaking the fall, or even recovering and preventing the fall from happening. I would reserve it for cases where I thought someone might be in danger of being cut by the blades.

2) Loss of GPS and dropping into ATTI mode is something we should also be ready for, and able to deal with reliably. For this it's necessary to build up some amount of skill ahead of time. You don't need the skills of anFPS acrobatic pilot, but you should be confident enough to figure out the Mavic's orientation from how it moves, and then fly the drone solidly back again.

3) Recovery of drone - do we have a reasonably safe plan for recovering a drone stuck in a tree, in shallow water or mud? Are there hazards nearby, such as cliffs, that might endanger someone who wanted to save their drone from a crash. As PIC, you are responsible for your spotter and AC controller and their safety - make it clear to them that they are more important than the drone.

4) First aid - keep a kit, or supplies for small cuts in the car, so that you can help someone if they need it. Should we know where the nearest medical facility is, in case someone is injured? Is that a reasonable responsibility, or not?

Good points. thanks for sharing.. I have a couple of thoughts that might contribute.

0) Have a plan if a manned aircraft is heard or seen nearby. Know under what conditions you will land or otherwise try to avoid the other aircraft, and where you will land.

1) I would not recommend using CSC on a falling drone because that removes any chance of the motors breaking the fall, or even recovering and preventing the fall from happening. I would reserve it for cases where I thought someone might be in danger of being cut by the blades.

2) Loss of GPS and dropping into ATTI mode is something we should also be ready for, and able to deal with reliably. For this it's necessary to build up some amount of skill ahead of time. You don't need the skills of anFPS acrobatic pilot, but you should be confident enough to figure out the Mavic's orientation from how it moves, and then fly the drone solidly back again.

3) Recovery of drone - do we have a reasonably safe plan for recovering a drone stuck in a tree, in shallow water or mud? Are there hazards nearby, such as cliffs, that might endanger someone who wanted to save their drone from a crash. As PIC, you are responsible for your spotter and AC controller and their safety - make it clear to them that they are more important than the drone.

4) First aid - keep a kit, or supplies for small cuts in the car, so that you can help someone if they need it. Should we know where the nearest medical facility is, in case someone is injured? Is that a reasonable responsibility, or not?
All excellent points. I will definitely incorporate most of these. On the CSC I totally agree, avoiding prop cuts was the reason I included it. Will do some rephrasing on the one.

I don't suggest everyone needs such an extensive emergency procedure, but having thought these scenarios through, might be very helpful.

Reactions: nenoneno and geigy
Updated initial post with input from geigy. If othes have inputs, please share :)

Reactions: nenoneno and geigy
Updated initial post with input from geigy. If othes have inputs, please share :)

Hope you don't mind, this is great so I'm 'borrowing' it. Thumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada