DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emergency shut down question,

if you were to do an emergency shut down say because u were about to have a collision with birds for instance, can you let the mavic free fall from danger and start the motors again mid air?

I saw a video recently where some guy attempted to air launch (drop) a Phantom 3 and air start it while falling.
At 2:35 in the video it releases - seems to fall nice and clean and you can see the props beginning to turn. In other parts of the video you see the props spinning in view of the camera.

But something went wrong - and they never gained control over it.

Could be the IMU's thought falling was not and so power application did little. Who knows?

For your case ... who knows. Assuming it doesn't tumble, you might get it powered up.

If you try this, please do it where nobody will get hurt.

Note that I've heard the best defense against birds is to climb.

Was more thinking of in a case imminent collision shutting down would hopefully avoid prop damage. Mine seems to drop at a slower rate under power than what it would if it were free falling
yeah well whatever reason you would want to do it the bottom line is will she restart before you auger in ?

In a more common situation, if for some reason, such as bad calculation, flying backwards blindfolded, you suddenly see tree branches surrounding your MV.. doesn't it make sense to stop the propellers at once so you try to minimize damade to the props, motors and craft?
Just a question that has been in my mind for some time.

Spanish Flyer
It would depend on how high you are? Falls from high places tend to be painfull for yopur bird

From the list of top 10 reasons Mavic Pros RMA to DJI for repair, this is numero uno:

1. CSC in the mid-air (Combination Stick Command)

The newbies favorite way to crash the drone by pulling the sticks to the down inner corners \ / or outside corners / \ and stop the motors

Solution: Never do this movements on a sticks while in the mid-air, unless in case of emergency

Reactions: mlaczek
I guess it depends how far in it is. I've seen videos of Mavics recovering and regaining level flight after minor impacts with branches. But if your Mavic is really in the thick of it, I guess cutting the motors might be a good idea.

On about my fifth flight, I accidentally side-slipped into the branches of a young redwood tree. I panicked and instead of hitting pause, I hit RTH. The drone climbed higher into the tree, then tumbled a bit, but finally hovered. Then I had sense enough to get close to the tree and guide it out to a safe landing. All four blades were damaged in varying degrees, but she was still able to fly out and make a safe landing. It cost me four new blades, but I gained valuable experience.

Reactions: Rogat19 and JLane
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections