DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emergency shut down question,

Droneymcdrone

Reactions
if you were to do an emergency shut down say because u were about to have a collision with birds for instance, can you let the mavic free fall from danger and start the motors again mid air?

Reactions: Rogat19
if you were to do an emergency shut down say because u were about to have a collision with birds for instance, can you let the mavic free fall from danger and start the motors again mid air?

Only been flying for a couple years now but I would say you're better off to maintain power and make an evasive maneuver. Pretty sure a power assisted drop in elevation would happen faster than a free fall.

interesting question I have wondered the same thing, except my train of thought was because I heard a story of a guy flying way to high and he was positive he didn't have enough power left to descend and land safely under power so he shut the drone down and went into freefall then as it got lower restarted and landed safely ! I have tried it with the simulator and it works fine as long as you get your timing right that is haha, don't know I would like to attempt it for real :)

Reactions: dewster
Only been flying for a couple years now but I would say you're better off to maintain power and make an evasive maneuver. Pretty sure a power assisted drop in elevation would happen faster than a free fall.

Was more thinking of in a case imminent collision shutting down would hopefully avoid prop damage. Mine seems to drop at a slower rate under power than what it would if it were free falling

Do to the fact the motors are not connect to the remote .
Its have flight computers and i dont know how the wil react to the shut down

interesting question I have wondered the same thing, except my train of thought was because I heard a story of a guy flying way to high and he was positive he didn't have enough power left to descend and land safely under power so he shut the drone down and went into freefall then as it got lower restarted and landed safely ! I have tried it with the simulator and it works fine as long as you get your timing right that is haha, don't know I would like to attempt it for real :)
Yeah I'm not too keen to try it myself but I just thought that because more experience ppl write about practicing and knowing what to do in an emergency situation that someone on here would know for sure if it is possible and & if soo could maybe do a video demonstrating it to help educate ppl of what they could do if a situation arrises.

I have the answer for all of you folks considering this: Don't try it. Your Mavics are precision flying machines, not freaking expensive lawn darts.

The Mavic is designed to create the lift it needs to launch from a stationary launch point, not while tumbling in a free fall descent. Try tossing your Mavic in the air and then cranking on the rotors. See just how much lift you develop and how far you fly. Launching from a level surface is even one of the first instructions to follow whenever flying a drone. A drone is designed to pitch, yaw and roll, ascend and descend, to fly, while always in a static, controlled state. Whenever it is not flown in such a manner, a crash is always the result, which we call accidents because it wasn't flown correctly. The Mavic cannot possibly attain or maintain altitude while already fighting the effects of gravity due to gaining downward momentum while in free fall PLUS having the additional burden of being without any means to develop lift or thrust or to fly. It'd be like asking a brick to suddenly just take off for the skies.

"Cowardice" has nothing to do with having a good reason for not trying thist. The laws of basic physics tell you not to, not to mention the laws of aerodynamics, and finally good ol' common sense.

And trust me, IF the Mavic were capable of such a fantastic, far out feat such as being able to be pulled out of a free fall tumble simply by powering up the props, don't you think DJI would have mentioned it somewhere along the line? Wouldn't that be a feature you would tout and advertise to drone consumers?

C'mon, guys. Let's at least try to appear dignified here. The ladies are watching.

I'll have to try that on the simulator. I've had my drones drop out of the air for bad cells on batteries and a snapped prop. It's not a pretty sight seeing it free fall. Somehow I doubt having the reflexes to kill and restart your motors unless you are crazy high.

Pretty sure you can't since you can't start motors when moving (and it will definitely be moving while tumbling down like a rock). The emergency shutdown is "kill my aircraft to save something more valuable".

In a more common situation, if for some reason, such as bad calculation, flying backwards blindfolded, you suddenly see tree branches surrounding your MV.. doesn't it make sense to stop the propellers at once so you try to minimize damade to the props, motors and craft?
Just a question that has been in my mind for some time.

Spanish Flyer

In a more common situation, if for some reason, such as bad calculation, flying backwards blindfolded, you suddenly see tree branches surrounding your MV.. doesn't it make sense to stop the propellers at once so you try to minimize damade to the props, motors and craft?
Just a question that has been in my mind for some time.

Spanish Flyer

I guess it depends how far in it is. I've seen videos of Mavics recovering and regaining level flight after minor impacts with branches. But if your Mavic is really in the thick of it, I guess cutting the motors might be a good idea.

punch it up, then fly away, they can't climb as fast as the mavic

This is what I've done when birds have approached my Mavic. I don't know if it works for all birds, but the pair of eagles that were interested in my Mavic definitely flew away once the Mavic flew higher than them. I believe it's part of most birds' instinct to be afraid of something in the sky above them.

I think DO NOT TRY THIS!

you have one thing againts birds. if you notice approaching birds, switch to SPORT MODE, and GO UP full throttle. the birds are can not follow you quickly to upward. if you are lucky, birds will be lose sight of your mavic. but after this maneuver, you have to landing immediately and wait for birds go to home :)

Reactions: armoredsaint
I have the answer for all of you folks considering this: Don't try it. Your Mavics are precision flying machines, not freaking expensive lawn darts.

The Mavic is designed to create the lift it needs to launch from a stationary launch point, not while tumbling in a free fall descent. Try tossing your Mavic in the air and then cranking on the rotors. See just how much lift you develop and how far you fly. Launching from a level surface is even one of the first instructions to follow whenever flying a drone. A drone is designed to pitch, yaw and roll, ascend and descend, to fly, while always in a static, controlled state. Whenever it is not flown in such a manner, a crash is always the result, which we call accidents because it wasn't flown correctly. The Mavic cannot possibly attain or maintain altitude while already fighting the effects of gravity due to gaining downward momentum while in free fall PLUS having the additional burden of being without any means to develop lift or thrust or to fly. It'd be like asking a brick to suddenly just take off for the skies.

"Cowardice" has nothing to do with having a good reason for not trying thist. The laws of basic physics tell you not to, not to mention the laws of aerodynamics, and finally good ol' common sense.

And trust me, IF the Mavic were capable of such a fantastic, far out feat such as being able to be pulled out of a free fall tumble simply by powering up the props, don't you think DJI would have mentioned it somewhere along the line? Wouldn't that be a feature you would tout and advertise to drone consumers?

C'mon, guys. Let's at least try to appear dignified here. The ladies are watching.

"Your Mavics are precision flying machines, not freaking expensive lawn darts."

CoDp6NnSmItoY.gif

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections