DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Exactly how do you shoot the Moon ?

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
If there is a Trick to shooting the Moon than I dont know what it is.. That moon is very elusive , and does not want to be photographed by the drone.

I find it near impossible to capture any detail in the Moon .

2021-09-19_22h02_20.png

Flying at Night Protect those above you.

Untitled (1)-1.jpg

2021-09-18_21h05_22.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your air 2s in the Rain and Capture the storm.

If there is a Trick to shooting the Moon than I dont know what it is.. That moon is very elusive , and does not want to be photographed by the drone.

I find it near impossible to capture any detail in the Moon .
The wideangle lens of the drone camera makes it about the worst possible tool to photograph the moon.
If you want to photograph the moon and show any detail, you need a real camera with a telephoto lens.
With a wideangle lens on any camera, the moon will be an overexposed blur.

@Meta4 - Never thought that. I'm sure the distance has something to do with it too.
There are two things that make teh drone so bad for photographing the moon.
The moon is far away and the wideangle lens makes everything look further away, so with the drone, the moon is only a tiny dot in the sky.
Exposure is another big factor because people usually shoot the moon at night.
With a whole frame of dark foreground and a tiny spot of bright moon, if you have exposed for the foreground or the sky, the moon is hopelessly overexposed and no detail is visible.
If the photo was shot in daylight or dusk, the exposure problem is eliminated, but you see how small the moon really looks in the image.

Here's an example of an almost full moon shot at sunset.
No exposure problem, but without the overexposure glare around the moon, you see how small it really looks.
DJI_0892a-XL.jpg

And shot at night, to have good exposure for the foreground, the moon is completely overexposed
DJI_0195a-XL.jpg

That explains a lot , so the best I can hope for is to just capture the Lightning Strike with the Moon as nothing more than an Icon in the background to provide some sense of the Aura of the night. Got it Thumbswayup

Reactions: Droniac
The only way to get a little detail of the moon is during a moonrise or moonset. Near the horizon the moon will be orange to reddish. This will bring some detail of the moon. As stated by Meta4, the wide angle shot will make it look further away. Plus zooming in only helps slightly.

The only way to get a little detail of the moon is during a moonrise or moonset. Near the horizon the moon will be orange to reddish. This will bring some detail of the moon. As stated by Meta4, the wide angle shot will make it look further away. Plus zooming in only helps slightly.
I had the same question.....I'll keep trying.....

Attachments

• Photo_6553750_DJI_150_jpg_5425795_0_2021910201342_photo_original.jpg
    Photo_6553750_DJI_150_jpg_5425795_0_2021910201342_photo_original.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
With a stable drone expose for the scene. Then take another shot underexposed by about 7-9 stops. Reduce the ISO to help in the underexposed stops. The moon is illuminated directly by the sun and is full daylight exposure. The two images if successful must be combined in post. It takes patience and manual control. Alas, the moon will be small in a wide angle shot. We are limited by real world physics!

For whatever reason most people don't believe the moon is a full daylight exposure. Yep - the full is daylight, full sun and then some (no atmosphere to soften the light). Either capture the moon when it is seen through a thousand miles of Earth atmosphere (moonrise/moonset), though gobs of smoke or pollution, or use a gradient filter (hard to do on a drone, but someone must sell them).

Wow - just looked and found these - first ones I came to - but they do exist:

Yeah, the exposure difference between a landscape and the moon's surface is massive. A "proper" exposure for the moon is going to be way too dark for the land, so I'd suggest shooting two exposures and merging in post. An HDR merge would be possible but would result in way too many frames. Even merging a single moon shot might be tricky, as there'll be a lot of ambient glow/flare/whatever from the ambient shot.

Yeah, the exposure difference between a landscape and the moon's surface is massive. A "proper" exposure for the moon is going to be way too dark for the land, so I'd suggest shooting two exposures and merging in post.
But the size of the moon shot with the drone's camera (see the first image in post #5) makes it too small to make any effort worthwhile.

But the size of the moon shot with the drone's camera (see the first image in post #5) makes it too small to make any effort worthwhile.
My answer is to the question “how do I get detail in the moon?”, with the examples showing it being overexposed.

At 24mm-ish focal lengths, you won’t get a good photo of the moon via any method, but understanding what goes into the exposure aspect is applicable across other cameras and subjects.

The wideangle lens of the drone camera makes it about the worst possible tool to photograph the moon.
If you want to photograph the moon and show any detail, you need a real camera with a telephoto lens.
A rule of thumb for exposure is to get a reading during a normal sunny day (not directly at the sun) at the sky. That will be close to the correct exposure for a night moon shot. Remember the camera on automatic sees a lot of black around the moon so the shutter opens wide. This washes out the moon. You need to override the shutter and close it down to get the moon's correct exposure.

Saw the same thing this week, as seen in the attached photos (was using my E2P with its 1" sensor). The one with the moon was way over exposed even with the moon near the horizon, while the 2 in the direction opposite the moon captured much more detail of both the landscape & horizon, and the stars & Venus in the western sky.

Attachments

• MAX_0184.JPG
    MAX_0184.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • MAX_0196.JPG
    MAX_0196.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • MAX_0199.JPG
    MAX_0199.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 12
My trick, and it really works well, is to take the pic, then photoshop a clean image of the moon in later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu