DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Exactly how do you shoot the Moon ?

went out to take a shot one time with sparky couldn,t even see it never thought about the wide angle part and i knew that lol

Try to take a picture of it with your smart phone, it's not too great either. Mine has a few professional features that allow me to override what the smartphone tries to do to focus on the window in front of me instead of the object I want to look at. But the moon is up in the sky, so it's not like you need a drone to photograph it. I think it would be hard to focus on the moon and the city below. The light of the moon affects the exposure against the less lighted city below. The CCD cell seems to magnify brighter objects. But as far as the moon itself, it is difficult to get a good focus. I have a outdoor security cam without infrared that has a bigger aperature that really picks up the starfield really well. The small aperature of the webcams probably hurts the effort, as a 35mm has a pretty good size aperature.

But if you wanted to really shoot the moon

A drone is a useless camera to use for moon shots as people have pointed out, due the wide angle lens. As its roughly a quarter of a million miles way, getting 400 feet closer to it isn't going to make much difference!

Exposure wise either you shoot when it's not completely dark yet/with a camera that has a wide dynamic range if you want some landscape in, or only the moon as you're never going to get anything visible with a properly exposed moon when it's dark. And if you want it any meaningful size you shoot with 400mm+.
So, not using a drone with a 22mm equivalent lens and a limited camera.

DSC05163_r.jpg

DSCN8883_s.jpg

Or you cheat and make an unrealistic looking composite... Big Moon this weekend - St. Paul Real Estate Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been stated, the drone is useless to try and capture the moon, even if you had full control of aperture and shutter speed to get a perfect exposure. The camera field of view is simply too wide. Anyone wishing to take a moon shot with a high end DSLR would never remotely think about using a wide angle lens for a moon shot. It's sort of like wanting to take a photo of an ant in the grass and trying to use a wide angle lens, totally useless.

The range between light and dark is far too great for any camera made, to try and capture a perfectly exposed moon and still get a perfectly exposed night scene. But the main thing is the tiny white spot the moons makes in a wide angle shot of a night scene. There is no point in trying it. The only way to get something half way decent is to fake it by shooting your night scene then finding a good image of a moon and use post production to blend the two together. Even a 400mm telephoto lens on a DSLR will give you such a small image of the moon that it won't be of much use, so the wide angle field of view showing with your drone will be a pointless exercise. Somethings just can't be photographed.

Reactions: Droniac
These guys on YouTube filmed the full moon with an Inspire and a X7 camera.... their results were less than stellar.

Otherworldly. Real nice. Godspeed Droniac

Exposure wise either you shoot when it's not completely dark yet/with a camera that has a wide dynamic range if you want some landscape in, or only the moon as you're never going to get anything visible with a properly exposed moon when it's dark. And if you want it any meaningful size you shoot with 400mm+.
So, not using a drone with a 22mm equivalent lens and a limited camera.

View attachment 135402

View attachment 135404

Or you cheat and make an unrealistic looking composite... Big Moon this weekend - St. Paul Real Estate Blog
It is so funny to see people put the moon in front of clouds - good job for getting it technically correct and the highlight on the back surface of the clouds.

It is so funny to see people put the moon in front of clouds - good job for getting it technically correct and the highlight on the back surface of the clouds.
It's technically correct because it's not a composite but an actual single exposure photo, all it's got it some tonemapping and color correction :)

It's technically correct because it's not a composite but an actual single exposure photo, all it's got it some tonemapping and color correction :)
I think you missed the point eEridani was making. If you intend to put the moon in a photo, most people I would assume, are trying to make you believe it was a real image and not a made up composite. If you are trying to make people believe you have a real moon in a real photo, then you would never put the moon in front of clouds in your image. If you were to take a real photo of the moon in a landscape, you would never have clouds behind the moon because that is simply not possible in real life.

Reactions: Droniac
Likewise couldn't get the shot detail I wanted, so recorded this clip while playing around with the Air 2S zoom feature and kinda like the effect.
Still pretty cool though.

Considering how many time I have tried this , the results are better than mine ever were.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Thanks, I lucked out and caught this shot as I was about to pack up and head home from late afternoon flying at our local flying field. Was chit-chatting with a fellow pilot and noticed we could see our shadows on the ground (the moon was just that bright). So I quickly put my Air 2s in the air, set everything on the camera to auto, 4K, 30fps, hyperlapse and pressed "start". :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair