DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Example of The Effect of a Polarization Filter On an Air2S Shown in a Video

cgmaxed

Reactions
In the video, you can see the bottom half of the video being affected by the polarizer (Freewell CPL). The top still shows the glare of the sky. They do, work to an extent. But, many people don't like them because they don't create a uniform look to the footage when at a sharp angle. The polarizer on a drone requires a specific angle to block the glare off water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geoff9251
In the video, you can see the bottom half of the video being affected by the polarizer. The top still shows the glare of the sky. They do, work to an extent. But, many people don't like them because they don't create a uniform look to the footage. The polarizer on a drone requires a specific angle to block the glare off water.
I use a Freewell CPL with my Air 2S quite often and fly over the water almost daily. My usage of a polarizer is over rivers and lakes with quite a bit of choppy water.... it does a great job of reducing just enough glare to improve my footage. I find my video to have a pretty uniform look and don't encounter the issues visible in your Youtube clip.... my guess is that the smoother surface in the clip would cause the same effect in my videos.

Reactions: DougMcC
I use a Freewell CPL with my Air 2S quite often and fly over the water almost daily. My usage of a polarizer is over rivers and lakes with quite a bit of choppy water.... it does a great job of reducing just enough glare to improve my footage. I find my video to have a pretty uniform look and don't encounter the issues visible in your Youtube clip.... my guess is that the smoother surface in the clip would cause the same effect in my videos.
When I angle the CPL toward the water ie downward, It cuts off that top part of the video with the glare. I made this video purposely to see at what angle the CPL would show where or what angle it would start working. I usually don't do that. I usually keep the angle more downward and or get closer to the water to keep the glare out of the picture.

I actually lost a drone in that particular waterbody. It was an evo2. The CPL came in real handy. I knew the approximate area of the downed drone and flew over the area with the CPL straight down, then I saw this Orange X looking thing. Voila I found the Evo2 in 5 feet of water. I'm glad the painted it orange. However, The drone was under water too long and the electronic were unrecoverable.

That was an expensive loss. It was a manufacture error that caused the crash, but Autel is very stingy and doesn't replace drones easily. They blamed me of course. Their battery fused to the connector pins on the drone and caused it to lose power and fall into the water. That was when they first came out. I think they had to reduce the EVO2s performance to correct this problem, because the second one I got was a lot slower. They can only hit 45mph with a tail wind. They are actually slower in the wind than an AIR2S.

Last edited:
I made a new video when the sun was at a different angle. This produced an excellent CPL effect with more uniformity.

In the video, you can see the bottom half of the video being affected by the polarizer (Freewell CPL). The top still shows the glare of the sky. They do, work to an extent. But, many people don't like them because they don't create a uniform look to the footage when at a sharp angle. The polarizer on a drone requires a specific angle to block the glare off water.
When the filter is oriented to eliminate the polarized light, the sky looks darker — less scattered light equals less light “pollution” and, hence, less brightness. This effect is best achieved when the sun (or light source) is perpendicular to the shot (at a 90-degree angle to the lens). I don't think you can get a full coverage of the image from the drone.
I believe at 45 degrees you get that 50 percent reduction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329